“Cozy and quaint accomadations and great food too.”

Crabtree's Kittle House
Ranked #1 of 1 Chappaqua B&B and Inns
Mahopac, New York
“Cozy and quaint accomadations and great food too.”
Reviewed 3 August 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Kittle house for 2 nights. I have heard soo many wonderful things about the place, I had to experience it for myself. The inn wasn't as new as I had expected, but it had lots of character and great charm. The front desk staff was very accommodating to our needs. They seemed to welcome you in as if you were part of their family. Dinner was a bit high in price, but i didn't mind paying b/c the qaulity of food was excellent. They have a lovely continental breakfast in the morning with cereals, fresh fruit and breads. I found out the Inn was also pet friendly. I will bring the dog next time.

• Liked — The character and charm
  • Disliked — There was no pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Northern NJ
Reviewed 23 June 2008

It has been my pleasure to stay 4 nights a week at The Kittle House for the last 11 months (since July 2007).

Throughout my stay, I have been impressed with the friendliness and generosity of proprietors John and Amy Crabtree and the high level of professionalism of The Kittle House staff. It is always nice to be greeted by name by the staff and given a warm welcome each week at check-inb.

High praise goes to Chef Kevin Bertrand and the kitchen staff for consistently producing dishes that taste as good as they look - and for being flexible enough to meet my dietary needs.

The Kittle House's 80,000 bottle wine cellar is unparalleled - be sure to ask for a tour from sommelier Steve or managers Glenn, Gustavo and Leo. Each has a deep knowledge of and love for great food and wine.

Reasonably priced, I highly recommend The Kittle House to usiness travelers and visitors to Westchester.

• Liked — Friendliness and professionism of the staff.
  • Disliked — Only 13 rooms in the Inn.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Long Island
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We stayed at the Kittle House last night for the first time and it was certainly our last time! The girl at the desk was nice. She checked us in and handed us the key to our room. She told us to walk up the stairs, down the long hallway and then down the back stairs to our room.

The first thing I noticed that the area rug by the check-in desk was black with filty and the carpet going up the stairs and in the hallway was filthy! It was worn and dirty, black with dirt. Looks like the original carpet from the 1790s that had never been cleaned! The hallway was dingy and the floors were creaky. It smelled very musty. Walking down the stairs to our room, we noticed a hutch holding some knick-knacks and the hutch was covered with about an inch of dust.

The walls along the hallway looked like they had holes that has been poorly patched up and spackled. The frame around our bedroom door was broken and splintered.

Our room was musty, the bathroom was very simple. There was rust around the tub. The air conditioner in the room was loud. The bed was uncomfortable.

I would have loved to just check out and get my money back but we had gotten there late (around 9 p.m.) and it was pouring rain, so we just hung in there and stayed.

We went to the bar downstairs to get out of our gross room and went to the bar. My husband ordered a pecan pie and a coffee. I was so turned off, I couldn't eat anything.

We went back to the room, went to sleep, got up early and checked out. I wouldn't even eat breakfast there, I felt that the place was so dusty and dirty.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty, musty and very outdated. In desperate need of a full renovation
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EJMomLongIsland
East Lansing, MI
Reviewed 9 July 2007

The foyer and its surroundings were elegant and had that historic feel. The floorboards creeked, the service was personal and the bar was wooden and warm. The restaurant looked inviting but I didn't eat there.
Our room (I traveled with a co-worker) was large and had everything we needed. However, true to Grandma's house, it was a little stuffy and a bit tired. It was clean, stocked with soap, shampoo, etc., and perfectly adequate and I think we both slept well. But, it wasn't luxury either. The beds were a little squashy and the fixtures were tired. The doorknob was loose, for example.
The long hallway leading to our room was really narrow and a little creepy. Our room was in a wing that felt like an addition and wasn't really inviting.
Breakfast is included in the room and the breakfast room is airy with windows and the breakfast choices were good - yogurt, fresh bread, etc.
All said, though, I would stay there again because it was comfortable enough and a beautiful old place.

• Liked — The bar and the foyer
  • Disliked — The long, creepy hallway leading to the room
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank ELHappyCamper
New York
Reviewed 27 August 2006

We just returned from a visit to Purchase New York and stayed two nights at the Kittle House. Unfortunately I can only give it an okay review because of the following:

What was good about the Kittle House: It was close to where we needed to be and has an award winning restaurant. It is a wine lovers paradise and offers an extensive wine list to study (it comes in a 3-inch binder!) with many varieties to indulge oneself. We experienced an enjoyable dinner there. The breakfast that comes with the room consisted of coffee, juice, tea, cold cereals, muffins, rolls, yogurt and fresh strawberries and blueberries.

What wasn't so good: Our room smelled old and musty (as well as the long hallway one must walk along in order to get to the room). The bathroom was old and worn; there was no shelving to set anything down (except the back of the toilet) and no hooks to hang clothing or bath towels on. One window overlooked the parking lot and the dumpster the other the back patio and adjacent golf course. Over one of the beds was closed-off but not locked attic access that made us feel a little unnerved the first night and the window air-conditioner was loud.

The room was certainly spacious but the musty smell, old bathromm and the security concern means that we would not stay at this inn again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Musty Odor of the room and hallways
  • Tips/Secrets — This is a one-night stay, port in the storm type of accomodation not a relaxing place to be
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank lexitraveler
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I spent one week in May at Crabtree's Kittle House for a business trip. This is a beautiful rural area about 50 miles from NYC, and this Inn represents the best of this region. The building is an old converted farmhouse, cozy with a lot of charm. Rooms are huge and comfortable, with all the usual amenities and in-room high speed internet. Staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. I paid $130 per night for one room with king bed.

This is a very rural area requiring a car to get around, and the hotel is not close enough to walk to much of anything (although it's a short drive to the town of Mount Kisco). However if you do need to be in the area (as I did) or are just looking to get away, this is definitely the best place in the area to stay.

Incidentally the Inn's restaurant is fabulous, and has won a number of awards. It's a bit pricey but very nice for a special dinner, and you do get what you pay for (portions are good and service very attentive).

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank kymberand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chappaqua
Holiday Inn Mt. Kisco (Westchester Cty)
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Hawthorne
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh
La Quinta Inn & Suites Armonk Westchester Cnty Apt
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Crabtree's Kittle House? Share your experiences!