“Interesting and nicely done”

Heirloom Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Chautauqua
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Heirloom Restaurant opened up in the Athenaeum Hotel in the summer of 2014. Heirloom is a full-service restaurant that is available to hotel guests, Chautauqua visitors and guests coming from off the grounds for a great dining experience. It is open 7 days a week and is available and open to the public from June 24 through August 27, 2017. All outside dining guests receive a complimentary gate pass to Chautauqua Institution. A gate pass that has amphitheater access will have to be purchased if you plan on attending amphitheater entertainment.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had not been to this restaurant or its previous incarnations, so we cannot compare the history. However I would say that Heirloom compares well with Le Fleur: interesting menu selection, nice wine list, including some local selections, excellent service. Not sure how fond I am of the large, somewhat noisy main room, which looks more appropriate for a wedding reception, but the hotel still has so much of its own charm that I think it makes up for it.

We shared two bottles of wine (pinot grigio and carmenere), mediterranean chips and dip, and citrus seared tuna, My wife had eggplant parmigiana napoleon. My son had boston club cut steak with baked potato and asparagus. I had moroccan chick pea stew. Each of them were tasty and interesting. The stew probably should have had couscous to be more authentic, but the tomato sauce was wonderfully rich, so I did not care too much.

Overall a nice experience. We will be back again.

There are newer reviews for Heirloom Restaurant

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The changes were apparent as soon as we sat down.
Our service was prompt and the new menu was reasonably priced with
lots of selections.
The space has been updated and is very comfortable.
We will include Heirloom with our favorite area restaurants.
Scallion Bistro in Lakewood - Forte in Jamestown - Brazill's on Main in Westfield-
Bellini at The Chautauqua Suits (especially the bar) Casual spots
Kiss BBQ in Westfield and Guppy's near Bemus Point -Lunch or breakfast at
Schuyler's country Kitchen in Lakewood

Vanessa W, Public Relations Manager at Heirloom Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

We're so happy that you enjoyed your experience at our new restaurant. We hope to see you again this summer!

Best,
Vanessa Weinert
Marketing Manager
vweinert@ciweb.org

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I was privileged to have the opportunity to attend the "soft opening" of the new Heirloom Restaurant inside the Athenaeum Hotel at the Chautauqua Instituition. Upon arrival, I noticed the hostess station poised beneath a beautiful new sign designating the restaurants name and it's place inside this historic hotel. The tables were tastefully decorated, with soft linens throughout, and an elegant tableservice one would except in fine dining. The restaurant has a classic feel, with a attentive staff. My family and I were greeted promptly and provided with leather bound menus, as opposed to the run of the mill vinyl variety. With
several drink options, we opted for chocolate milk for the kids, Merlot, and a soda. The drinks arrived while we explored the menu. The menu had selections unlike any menu we had seen before! Pork Belly, a Morocian Stew, and trout were a few interesting options. According to the article in the local newspaper, The Post Journal, the new restaurant was also featuring a new Chef. The Chef's selection for the evening included a tropical fish dish and a ground filet Hamburger. We ordered one of each special, a hamburger and a flatbread pizza for the kids. We had our food within 15 minutes. The plates looked Amazing! The hamburger was probably the best I've ever eaten, definitely the best in this area. The fish was delicious, similar to halibut. It wasn't long before our plates were empty. We requested a "to go" box for the kids, paid the bill which included a 30% discount for our visit during the soft opening, tipped the service staff generously, and were on our way! We will definatly return, and take advantage of the free gate pass with our reservation, and the optional valet parking. Looking forward to a special evening complete with diner and a cocktail before the concert in the amphitheater this summer. I highly recommend giving this new restaurant a try!

1  Thank belle5683

Thank you for your thorough review. We're really excited about the new restaurant! We hope to see you and your family again this summer.

Best,
Vanessa Weinert
Marketing Manager
vweinert@ciweb.org

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Okay, who is in charge here? Whoever they are, they should be lashed with 10,000 noodles. Yes, we were on a chartered bus trip but does that mean we get only the leftovers? Granted, the bread basket was refilled several times, but that was because we made that request so we wouldn't be hungry all night. I had ordered the black cod. A decent size portion arrived; it was sitting atop a thimble sized smear of what looked like sweet potato purée. Two thin slivers of (bok choy?) sat alongside. That was my dinner. I do admit the cod had good flavor. Mine was the better choice. Those who ordered the steak were presented with a 3-inch square of one-half inch high of meat. There was a surprise on the plate - an identical size of salmon accompanied the meat. I happen to like salmon, but some at our table were not overcome with joy. Then, there's the chicken. Same size as the "steak" and very tough and tasteless. We had read about amazing desserts at this fine hotel. Our dessert was small slices of carrot cake that had been put near our place settings at the beginning of our dinner. I know we won't be dining there anytime soon.

2  Thank Lillette
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We sat at the "Community Table" and always had great conversations. The food was good and we also had great conversation with the servers.