“Wonderful Fall Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Chautauqua
Ohio
“Wonderful Fall Weekend”
Reviewed 6 November 2007

This was our fourth visit to the Spencer Hotel. The setting, the peacefulness, the history, the comfort, "Henri", breakfast, we could go on and on, all are wonderful. If you want to travel back in time, leave the computer and cell phone behind and just enjoy the natural beauty of Chautauqua then the Spencer is the place to stay. We love our long walks around the grounds of the Institute and returning to the sounds of the beautiful player piano and the ambiance of such a wonderfully preserved piece of history. We are sure to return again. Make this a must on your places to stay!

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank Dauber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Albion NY
Reviewed 23 October 2007

I wanted to treat my mother to a special birthday getaway, and spent a fair amount of time looking for the right place. The Spencer Hotel appeared to offer all the things that two literary buffs would love. The website had great information about the rooms, amenities and specials. Other guests had commented on the fabulous breakfast, which really was a strong selling point for me. I selected the Brontes Room and it was all that it promised to be. Be aware though, the rooms are quite a bit smaller than they appear on the photos, but that was not a big draw-back for us.
We were met in the lobby by a nice young man who helped us with our luggage and showed us to our room. We confirmed that breakfast was at 9am the following morning and I was already looking forward to the promises of the website. Sadly, the morning brought us a reheated piece of quiche, two pieces of toast and a fresh fruit cup. The two young people waiting on us were very cheerful and willing to help, but the breakfast was a far cry from what the website was promising.
Upon return from a morning exploration of Chautauqua Institute we found our room had been tended to with new towels and shampoos, but the dishes in the sink had not been washed...more on this later....
Before heading out for the evening, we confirmed with the girl behind the desk that breakfast would be served at 9am the following morning. We did this because the night before we learned after much searching that there is no one attending to the hotel after 9pm and this fact had not been mentioned to us during check-in. This proved to be a problem on the second night as we found the central air had turned to heat and the temperature on our fourth floor room was intolerable. I tried to open the windows, but this was not possible so we sat up for a while trying to figure out how to get back to sleep in the suffocating room.
The next morning we arrived promptly to a non-existent breakfast. The cheerful young lady seemed surprised by our presence and scrambled to offer us something for breakfast, but with no bread in the kitchen, she headed to the store. She mentioned that there was coffee coming so we sat down to wait for it, until my impatience got the best of me and I went in to the kitchen to check on the progress of the brewing, only to find that she had flipped the heating pad on under a pot of yesterday's coffee and the pot was still completely cold. I also noticed that all the dishes from yesterday's breakfast sat dirty in the sink...KIDS!
None of this would have been a problem had we been duly notified that we are visiting during off-off season, with a very skeleton crew, not trained to brew coffee nor wash dishes, that breakfast would be nothing like what the website promises and that we would be on our own from 9pm-9am. Still the visit cost us top dollar: $185/per night. (the same rate was offered in June). I had a verbal promise (third-party) that I would receive a substantial discount, but this did not materialize on my credit card statement.
I will be happy to amend my review if the charges are an oversight, but I would strongly recommend that the Spencer Hotel rethink their prices during off-season and make sure that the cheerful kids are at least able to brew fresh coffee every day!
This could have been such a different experience!

• Liked — The novel theme of the hotel
  • Disliked — Did not deliver what it promised.
  • Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Blue-valise
newlywed24, Owner at The Spencer Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 12 February 2008
I have repeatedly tried to connect with this guest with no success and so I have decided to respond here.

I am sorry that you were not provided with the highest level of service that The Spencer can provide. This is our first season to go year-round and after the busy nine week summer programming we were in the midst of solving our staffing crisis. Many of the employees at Chautauqua are here for internships and go back to school at the end of August.

We have since corrected this problem and now have a solid year-round staff and Calling Center. We have a detailed confirmation letter with places to go, things to see, and restaurant choices. We now provide concierge services, spa treatments, and group events. Itineraries are made for each guests stay to personalize the Chautauqua experience. Each guest room has a binder containing important telephone numbers and pertinent information about The Spencer. There is someone on premise at all times and we also have front desk personnel attending to guests needs prior to, upon arrival, and during the stay.

We do know our limitations and are careful to communicate those to our guests. The rate charged was for the room type- a junior suite, not a standard king as they wanted twin beds as well. Our king rooms are smaller than standard hotel's, so if you are looking for rooms with a lot of space then a full suite would be the room for you. There are also several common areas such as the four floors of porches, parlor, dining room and spa rooms.

We are a small, boutique property and make every effort to make each guests stay enjoyable.
Maryland
Reviewed 14 September 2007

This is simply a charming inn and the owners, Helen and Dick, do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable. Each room is decorated in a whimsical theme representing a certain author. This time, I stayed in Arabian Nights which had stars on the ceiling and a mural painted on the walls. It might sound hokey but it is very delightful and tasteful and so fitting for Chautauqua. This is my second stay here and I would return.

The location just outside of the ampitheatre is ideal. The wonderful porches invite you to rest and relax. A substantial breakfast is included. If you're lucky, you can rent one of the parking places adjacent to the hotel and not have to deal with the walk to the parking lot outside of Chautauqua gates.

If there are downsides, it is that you cannot open the windows (which are sealed) to enjoy the fresh air. The other downside is that since it is an old house, it is very creaky. If you are bothered by noise of other guests walking above you, bring a sound machine or request a fan in your room.

This is definitely worth a visit!

• Liked — Charming, whimsical decor of the inn
  • Disliked — Windows that could not be opened
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank MarylandGroomMother
ny,ny
Reviewed 30 June 2007

The Spencer fits perfectly into the mood and mission of the entire institution. The staff is exaggeratedly helpful, the breakfasts are wonderful and enough to carry one past lunch and directly to dinner and the dinners there are amazingly terrific. The best part of the whole deal is the owner, Helen, who is on the properly and always willing to resolve any problems and more importantly she makes each guests feell comfortable and 'at home'. Each room has a literary theme complete with books by the particular author in your room. The rooms are a bit small but totally elegant . There is no better way to compliment your stay at Chautauqua than to stay at the Spencer--and be sure to get to hear Henry play the piano in the lobby!!!!
Larry Breen

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank Edward68
PA
Reviewed 22 June 2007

We decided upon the Spencer Hotel & Spa, for a variety of reasons. First, was for the beautiful scenery and wineries that surround the Lake Chautauqua, and The Spencer is in the Middle of the Chautauqua Institution. The Institution is a special place! The Spencer is not. The 2nd reason for booking was we found them listed with Spa Finder, claiming that they were indeed, both a Hotel & Spa.

The Spencer is neither. They are, at best, a run down Bed & Breakfast. The "spa" consists of a tiny room - too small to be a guest room - with a massage table, and a two person sauna on the 2nd floor porch. Outside and with very limited access. The websites were very misleading, and only made us want to leave sooner. We were to stay for two nights, but could only last one. Our 'King' bed was actually two small beds shoved together, and very uncomfortable.
On the upside, the staff was very accomodating and polite. Very helpful with dinner reservations. The breakfast was wonderful. I think, it was prepared by a general manager - a very nice man - while the owner wandered through the dining room and entry way in her bed clothes. Very appalling!!!
We will not return to the Spencer, and advise others as well. Do your research - there is a fine hotel and spa on the same grounds that lives up to its namesake. it is not the Spencer.

• Liked — The Chatauqua Institution is one of a kind and the Lake is beautiful and relaxing
  • Disliked — everything, including the owner in her bedclothes during breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank well-travelledduo
Helen07Chautauqua, Manager at The Spencer Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2007
The Chautauqua Institution is a 135 year old historic gated resort community. The Spencer is celebrating 100 years this year and has been completely renovated to the modern codes and standards and is proud to have achieved the historical landmark distinction— The Spencer has always been known as a small boutique hotel and has gone from 43 to 25 guest rooms to accommodate kitchenettes, jacuzzi’s and larger spaces for guests. Air conditioning, an elevator, wireless internet, new linens and bedding, the parlor, the dining room and kitchen, including the wiring and plumbing have all been restored and put in place to achieve a complete renovation. The spa aspect of the hotel is a unique add on service based upon availability. The owner was not present at the time of arrival, therefore the woman in the bathrobe was a guest that had an extended stay at The Spencer.
NW USA
Reviewed 21 June 2007

Dissatisfied with my stay at The Spencer Hotel

I found the hotel's web site on line and called the hotel to find out more where i spoke with a person who identified herself as the owner. I had questions about the hotel and some special needs I had which were promised to be delivered such as a 1st floor room and dinner reservations amongst other things. I felt confident that since I was speaking with the owner, my needs would be met which were promised to be delivered.

Upon my arrival, I was treated very respectfully by the young staff, but was not provided the specific room I had requested during my reservation made with the owner. I was dissapointed by the fact that the owner failed to deliver on that committment and several others (Dinner reservations and specific ammenity requests) that were requested well in advance. It was apparant that these special requests which were very important to me and my family were just forgotten about. These requests were the reason for deciding on The Spencer Hotel as opposed to other Hotels in the area. The staff at The Hotel rectified the situation that the owner had previously promised me.

While the Spencer advertises itself as a Hotel and Spa, it is not a hotel at all, it really is just a Bed and Breakfast. When I think of a spa, I think of a destination that has full time technicians on staff. The Spencer has only one massage room and you cannot get a massage or other spa treatments when it is convenient for you. Any Spa treatments must be requested in advance. Also, the room which was provided to me had cartoon like artwork that was somewhat obnoxious and made me feel like I was in a child's room. I dont quite get what the idea is behind a literary theme, I just wanted a clean, comfortable room with some privacy and was disatisfied with the fact that I was not given the specific room I requested on the web site and promised when making my reservation.

I do have to say that the breakfast preparation was fantastic by the gentlemen that prepared it as well as the demeanor of the front desk staff. They did what they could to satisfy me and my family as they knew I was completely dissatisfied with the promises made that were broken. I also expected a little more professionalism and ediquitte from the owner, who would be walking around the hotel every morning in a bathrobe. I would come to expect that in a bed and breakfast, not a business representating itself as a hotel.

Overall I'll give this hotel an average rating and if it wasnt for the follow through of the staff I would never reccomended this establishement to anyone.

• Liked — The Young Staff(Front Desk, Cooks)
  • Disliked — Unprofessional Appearance
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank USATraveler83
Helen07Chautauqua, Owner at The Spencer Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2007
We were trying to accommodate the guests needs by upgrading them to larger suite--where as the first floor room at that time would have been noisier and we were trying to create a relaxing atmosphere for them. There was a miscommunication between the restaurant and hotel staff in regards to the dinner reservations, which was rectified upon arrival. The Spencer is a literary themed hotel that represents 25 famous authors and the authors works. The artwork you see at the Spencer is represented through our hand painted murals to depict a part of the authors lives and their works. The biographies of the authors works are in a binder in each room and portraits in the hallways are present to piece together the literary theme. The Chautauqua Institution is the oldest literary society in the country and this was the motivation behind the literary theme. Being located on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institution it is a unique environment and therefore advanced reservations for spa treatments are required as stated on the website. It is most unfortunate that the guests felt the owner was walking around in a bathrobe, however that is not the case and we are glad this was brought to our attention.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 18 June 2007

Lovely rooms, quite and friendly......I would reccomend the Spencer to anyone visiting Chautaqua

Stayed June 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chautauqua
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Jamestown
Comfort Inn Jamestown Falconer
Maple Springs Lake Side Inn
Maple Springs Lake Side Inn
#2 of 9 in Chautauqua

Been to The Spencer Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!