“Dissatisfied With My Visit to The Spencer Hotel”

The Spencer Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Chautauqua
NW USA
“Dissatisfied With My Visit to The Spencer Hotel”
Reviewed 21 June 2007

Dissatisfied with my stay at The Spencer Hotel

I found the hotel's web site on line and called the hotel to find out more where i spoke with a person who identified herself as the owner. I had questions about the hotel and some special needs I had which were promised to be delivered such as a 1st floor room and dinner reservations amongst other things. I felt confident that since I was speaking with the owner, my needs would be met which were promised to be delivered.

Upon my arrival, I was treated very respectfully by the young staff, but was not provided the specific room I had requested during my reservation made with the owner. I was dissapointed by the fact that the owner failed to deliver on that committment and several others (Dinner reservations and specific ammenity requests) that were requested well in advance. It was apparant that these special requests which were very important to me and my family were just forgotten about. These requests were the reason for deciding on The Spencer Hotel as opposed to other Hotels in the area. The staff at The Hotel rectified the situation that the owner had previously promised me.

While the Spencer advertises itself as a Hotel and Spa, it is not a hotel at all, it really is just a Bed and Breakfast. When I think of a spa, I think of a destination that has full time technicians on staff. The Spencer has only one massage room and you cannot get a massage or other spa treatments when it is convenient for you. Any Spa treatments must be requested in advance. Also, the room which was provided to me had cartoon like artwork that was somewhat obnoxious and made me feel like I was in a child's room. I dont quite get what the idea is behind a literary theme, I just wanted a clean, comfortable room with some privacy and was disatisfied with the fact that I was not given the specific room I requested on the web site and promised when making my reservation.

I do have to say that the breakfast preparation was fantastic by the gentlemen that prepared it as well as the demeanor of the front desk staff. They did what they could to satisfy me and my family as they knew I was completely dissatisfied with the promises made that were broken. I also expected a little more professionalism and ediquitte from the owner, who would be walking around the hotel every morning in a bathrobe. I would come to expect that in a bed and breakfast, not a business representating itself as a hotel.

Overall I'll give this hotel an average rating and if it wasnt for the follow through of the staff I would never reccomended this establishement to anyone.

• Liked — The Young Staff(Front Desk, Cooks)
  • Disliked — Unprofessional Appearance
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank USATraveler83
Helen07Chautauqua, Owner at The Spencer Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2007
We were trying to accommodate the guests needs by upgrading them to larger suite--where as the first floor room at that time would have been noisier and we were trying to create a relaxing atmosphere for them. There was a miscommunication between the restaurant and hotel staff in regards to the dinner reservations, which was rectified upon arrival. The Spencer is a literary themed hotel that represents 25 famous authors and the authors works. The artwork you see at the Spencer is represented through our hand painted murals to depict a part of the authors lives and their works. The biographies of the authors works are in a binder in each room and portraits in the hallways are present to piece together the literary theme. The Chautauqua Institution is the oldest literary society in the country and this was the motivation behind the literary theme. Being located on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institution it is a unique environment and therefore advanced reservations for spa treatments are required as stated on the website. It is most unfortunate that the guests felt the owner was walking around in a bathrobe, however that is not the case and we are glad this was brought to our attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 18 June 2007

Lovely rooms, quite and friendly......I would reccomend the Spencer to anyone visiting Chautaqua

Central Ohio
Reviewed 18 June 2007

Went for a Mother-Dtr spa get away weekend. The staff were excellent and attentive to our needs and one got the feeling they wanted to please and accomodate our stay to make it as pleasant as possible. At check in we were given a warm and friendly greeting and given an itinerary for our stay.

The setting was beautiful and the hotel was very clean. The access to the balconies was wonderful and we enjoyed sitting in the wicker chairs just relaxing and reading.

The rooms were small but were delightfully decorated and were adequate to accomodate our needs.

The morning breakfasts were delicious.

We'd readily recommend this Hotel to others.

New York
Reviewed 12 June 2007

I stayed here by myself for a two night (Thursday/Friday) peaceful getaway and that was exactly what I got. The Spencer is an old, charming hotel set on the grounds of the Chautaugua Institute on the lake. Since it was off-season and just about everything is closed down, there was almost no one there. And it so happened that western NY was experiencing some thick winter snow that week. It was beautiful. The owners and staff are friendly and accommodating. For those interested in spa services, there was no actual "spa" at the hotel at the time I was there. The hotel partners with professionals that come in and provide these services either in one of the rooms or in the room you are staying if it is large enough. From what I learned, the hotel had plans to convert a couple of rooms into a permanent spa area. I had a small room (the Jane Austen) but it was perfect for just me and it had a large jacuzzi tub... which was a must for my stay. The rooms are beautifully decorated. Connie, who was on staff when I arrived, showed me all the rooms since I was the only guest the first night . Breakfast was out of this world and they served the best tea I ever tasted. I would stay here again on or off season.

• Liked — Peaceful small village atmosphere, literary themed rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
CLEVELAND
Reviewed 10 June 2007

We just returned from the Spencer Hotel where we celebrated our 5th anniversary. The Hotel is located in the Chautauqua Institution( the Institution is like its own little gated community in a community). The Hotel was old (circa late 1800's I think I heard) and small, yet a terrific intimite setting. The staff was exceptional, answering all our questions, making reservations for us, always greeting us upon entering and exiting the hotel. The price per night we agreed was to expensive for the room( we paid $250 a night for the Agatha Christie room which did have a jacuzzi tub for two). We were greeted in our room with a beautiful spa basket for us to enjoy in our room jacuzzi tub. We were also provided with bath robes for our personal use during our stay. We had the option to add a bottle of wine or champane to our package, but we thought $35 was a bit much so we were able to bring our own from home. We both recieved massages as part of our package. The massages were fantastic. We were a bit disappointed because we were told we could get side by side massages, but upon arrival it was scheduled for individual massages( atleast it was one after the other). However it worked out just fine. There is no restaurant or vending machines, so it is a good idea to bring a cooler and snacks. However the staff was able to arrange reservations for us at a local restaurant that they recommended. They did provide breakfast for over night guests. The breakfast was very good. It was simple such as french toast, sausage, fruit, coffee/tea and juice.

We went in the off Chautauqua season so we were able to park right in front or near the hotel. Parking was scarce, but atleast we were able to park close to the hotel unlike the Chautauqua season were parking is banned in the Institution .

Overall, it may not have been the best hotel we ever stayed at but it was the most intimite. It reminded me of a bed & breakfast rather than a hotel.

Bowmansville, NY
Reviewed 24 May 2007

We Had a wonderful stay at the Spencer Hotel! We enjoyed the Jane Austin Experience Package. The room was small but quaint. Breakfast was fantastic! We particularly enjoyed Rachel at the front desk. She went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed, as well as plenty of great recommendations on area attractions! We will be sure to come back to visit another one of the Spencer's rooms inspired by great Authors! Make sure you ask for a performance from Henry - the lobby pianist!
- Jordan & Christina

• Liked — jacuzzi
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, Pa
Reviewed 9 May 2007

My new husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Spencer Hotel in Chautauqua. The room was perfect, and the breakfast in the morning was delicious. The area around the hotel is so beautiful, I love the Amplitheatre It is gorgeous!!
Thanks again!!!

• Liked — The hotel is in the center of the town It was great!!
  • Disliked — Nothing everything was wonderful
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chautauqua
Hampton Inn & Suites Jamestown
Comfort Inn Jamestown Falconer
Maple Springs Lake Side Inn
Maple Springs Lake Side Inn
#2 of 9 in Chautauqua

Been to The Spencer Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!