“Very dirty shower and horrible internet access ruined stay for me”

Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
“Very dirty shower and horrible internet access ruined stay for me”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Unlike many of the reviwers here who are glowing about this hotel, I unforuntatly, have to disagree. I just had a rather frustrating experience at the hotel. I'll start with the positives. The airport is super close to the Buffalo/Niagara airport, so if you're looking for a place to stay before a flight, this should be a good choice. They have a free shuttle that runs on demand, so that is a plus. (However, when are hotels going to wake up and get away from the 15 passeger cargo vans. It is not fun to watch some poor old 80 year old guy try and climb up into this thing and into the back!!! Please switch to the rental car bus style!!) Check-in at the hotel was prompt and since I am a Priority Club Platinum memeber, I was upgraded to a "jacuzzi suite". Somehow I fooled myself into thinking this would be a good thing! Yikes, if I got the upgraded room, I would gate to see what the others are like. I was not expecting the Ritz. I say at a ton of Holiday Inn Express hotels, so I know what to expect. My issue with this room was the cleanliness. The funiture was worn and stained heavily, as were the walls and carpets. But what grossed me out the most was the shower. I'm not sure what is in the other rooms, but since I had the jacuzzi (who uses these when on a business trip anyway??), the shower was a tiny walk-in style. But as you'll see in the photos it was DIRTY. I mean moldy, stained, sticky and gross. THe shower door looked like the soap scum hadn't been cleaned in a long time, and the shower floor was icky and black and just funky. I think the housekeeping staff and hotel management should be embarasssed to give guests a bathroom shower that looks like this.
My other big complaint, as with most hotels, is the hi-speed internet service. Absolutly horrible!! For many of us who travel for work and need to download large files, the speed was just too slow. Then I tried to watch a movie on line before bed...impossible. The connection was terribly slow and kept dropping out.
Overall this stay was a big dissapointment, and for the money, I think I could better at one of the hundred other airport hotels. I do not believe I will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ChewInRI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2011

So my husband and I decided to go shopping in Buffalo for the Canada Day long weekend as a little mini-break. We booked the Holiday Inn Express on Expedia.ca about 4 days before and got a fairly good price on it considering the other hotels were priced super high because of the holiday.

After a long wait at the border we arrived at the hotel around 2 and our room was ready. The guy at the desk was very nice and helpful. Up to the room, it was pretty basic but a little nicer then what I've seen at other Holiday Inns. The bed was fairly comfy and the bathroom seemed pretty clean. The only thing about the room is that is didn't get wi-fi reception. If you brought a laptop I believe there was a hardline you could plug in but for those of us who check everything on ipods or ipads you'd have to go to the lobby.

The pool was nice and clean, not quite as big as it appears in the photos of the hotel but whatever. There were constantly lots of kids around and in the pool (might've been partially because of the holiday) so if you're looking for a romantic kind of place, this might not be it.

Over all it's a pretty good hotel. The location is amazing, right across from the airport and 5 minutes to Walden Galleria. Great Staff. Nice continental breakfast. I would definitely recommend this place to families.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the pool
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank beckeboo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Great Layover Hotel. Staff was very friendly and accomidating. Breakfast was okay, but nothing special. Will stay there again

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed on May 9 using a park sleep fly package. We received a friendly greeting and were given complimentary water. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The kids really enjoyed the pool and they had free cookies in the dining room for a bedtime snack. The buffet breakfast (continental) had lots of choices and the kids loved the pancake machine. Our shuttle was waiting to take us to the airport and the driver was friendly and professional. Upon our return from Disney World we called using the courtesy phone at the airport and a shuttle arrived in 8 minutes. Our driver remembered the kids and was very engaging. This hotel was affordable, comfortable and had unparalleled service.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
NW Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stayed here the last night of our trip because of the proximity to the airport. This is the same great value you would expect from a Holiday Inn, but the staff made it really exceptional. We decided to turn in our rental car early since we had an early flight out the next morning, and the shuttle service came and picked us up at the airport, and even dropped us off for dinner! They also gave us a great recommendation for dinner - "Danny's". (If you ask at the Front Desk, they have a list of local restaurants, some of which offer free drink coupons.) The next morning, the shuttle service took us back to the airport in plenty of time for our flight. All of this at no extra charge...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kokotraveler
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. It is located directly across from the airport, which was very convenient for arriving and departing. The hotel is small, quaint and rather quiet, and parking was very easy to find with no additional charges. I did overhear if parki long term ( 1 week+) it would cost $50 USD, which apparently is less than the airport charges.

At front desk they were friendly and helpful, and we booked the package through cheaptickets.com. There was really know fuss at all given we had proper identification.

The room was nice and fairly clean. We did check for bed bugs and there was no trace. There was a few things that were not cleaned properly: a reeces pieces wrapper was left beside the sofa, a used soap bar left in the shower, and the two side table bulbs were burnt out. Other than those minor things the room was decent. Only part that was kind of annoying was the room access cards were deactivated twice due to them being to sensitive around electronics i.e. cellphones. We were able to get it reset within minute att front desk but it was a hassle going back downstairs. They did mention it was a bit of a problem, not just in our case.

The complimentary breakfast was pretty busy but was clean and constantly being refreshed. There was a good variety of snacks and was a self-serve buffet.

Overall, good stay, convenient location to airport and shopping, and if you are not nit-picky about minor issues that can be quickly fixed by the friendly staff I would suggest this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel on March 12 to the 14th. The hotel had everything I needed. I travelled with my two children and husband. It is a great location for Canadians looking for a shopping weekend. The kids enjoyed the pool and internet. I have stayed at this location many times, but this stay I was extremely happy with the cleaning staff. After a long day shopping I came back to our room and the cleaning lady went above and beyond what anyone would have ever expected. She made my stay that much more
enjoyable. Great job. The free breakfast is always an added perk. I am sure I will be going back to this location again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family