“Great overnight stay during graduation week”

Holiday Inn Express Buffalo Airport
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
New York
“Great overnight stay during graduation week”
Reviewed 12 May 2008

My family and I came up for my little brother's graduation at SUNY Buffalo. My older brother made the reservations and had chosen this hotel for us after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. Check-in was a breeze, front desk staff was very nice and helpful. My husband and I stayed in an adjoining room next to my family (rms 304 & 302), which was nice because our room also had a mini fridge and microwave (came in handy for reheating some leftover dinner the next day). In fact, there was even a microwaveable container and disposable plates for convenience. Rooms also have complimentary wi-fi, and the access code is posted on the desk for convenience.

Like the previous reviewer stated, the shower in the bathroom is cornered off in it's own area, with the wall blocking the water from spraying out. However, because there is no curtain, this can cause the shower to get a bit chilly or will take time to steam up the shower. The shower floor looked like it had a bit of soap scum, not mildewy, but definitley not sparkling clean. My hubby and I wore shower shoes for that.

The bed was very soft (if you like soft mattresses), and so were the pillows. There is some sort of HI branding on the amenties (something called "Simply Smart"), so the towels are embroidered with "Soft" on them, the pillowcases have "soft" and "firm" on them, and even the soap has "cleanse" written on it. Doesn't add to the quality of the product, but I thought this was a nice touch. I'm ok sleeping on a soft mattress, and must say it was one of the best sleeps I've had in a long time. I didn't experience the airport noise that other reviews have commented on.

My husband and I checked out the gym (24hrs) and the pool (open til 11pm), both which require the key to swipe in for entry. Gym had an elliptical, treadmill, universal machine, and small TV from what I saw (hubby did the working out there). The gym, which is on the 2nd floor, overlooks the pool area, on the 1st floor. Pool is a decent size, depth from 3 to 5 feet, good for families. There was also a hot tub on the side, which was good and warm. Jets were not as powerful as I usually am used to, but it was average. Complimentary pool towels, so you don't have to lug around the hotel towel. NOTE: there was no lifeguard on duty while I was there, and I am not sure if there is ever a staff member watching... something to consider if you have young kids that want to wander the pool area unsupervised.

The complimentary breakfast (6:30am - 9:30am) was average and ordinary: bagels, toast, muffins, waffles (pre-made on the shelf, not make-your-own), cereal. Hot foods: sausage, biscuit, eggs (which my brother found a little 'powdery'), oatmeal packets. Drinks: tea, coffee, juices, milk. TV to watch the morning news in the breakfast room. Not a fancy breakfast, but saved us a trip to Dunkin Donuts to grab a similarly comparable breakfast for the road-trip home. I saw staff constantly changing out the trays and refilling, so it's good to see that the food mgmt area was kept tidy.

Why I didn't give 5/5 rating:
- Our wake up call was late! We asked for a 6am call, and got a call at 6:30. Good thing we weren't catching a flight, that would have been a problem!
- The somewhat chilly shower (see above).
- The shower floor (see above)

• Liked — Overall Value
  • Disliked — Overall shower situation
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northeast US
Reviewed 6 May 2008

I'm a frequent visitor to Holiday Inn Express because usually the price is right, the hotel building is decent, and as a member of their rewards program, might as well rack up the points. This hotel was fine in location, looks, etc. The bathroom is totally spacious, with the toilet and shower in their own separate "rooms". This results in the shower not having a curtain or anything, so it gets a little chilly, but that's minor.

My only complaint is that the noise of a kids' hockey team staying there was awful! Ok, it's Buffalo, you're probably going to encounter hockey, but what happened to manners? I can't blame the hotel itself, and I do say that they did everything they could to try and keep the noise down, including imposing a quiet time after 9 PM every night. It wasn't followed to the minute, but kids were told to keep it down not long after. But be forewarned, the walls and doors aren't sound proof, so you will hear people in the hall, etc if it's busy enough. Probably what made me shake my head the most were the parents yelling down the hall to kids just as much as the kids were yelling back and forth. Gone are the days of common courtesy.

Overall though, I recommend this hotel, especially if you're using the airport. It's right across the street, but it's not busy enough to hear planes all the time - I only heard them during the day, and not until after 7 AM. And even then, it was only a handful, well spaced out.

• Liked — Easy on and off the highway
  • Disliked — The noise of the kids staying there
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JrzyJeepGirl
Toronto
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Stayed overnight before an early morning flight out (canceled, but that's another story). Rooms are pretty good - comfortable beds and pillows and a good size. Ours was missing the clock radio which was a bit annoying (called about it but never got one). Buffet breakfast is included and is quite acceptable. Only negative was the check-in person who just mumbled everything and didn't seem to listen too well. Watch out if you expect to be able to leave your car at the hotel while you're away - that is a special rate and it doesn't appear as an option on the likes of Travelocity. There is an economy lot behind the hotel. Would probably stay here again.

• Liked — This is an airport hotel not a destination hotel!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed 26 February 2008

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at the Buffalo Airport. This is a pretty standard, but all together very nice HI express hotel. I stayed in an "accessable" room because I am on crutches after recent knee surgery. I found the special bathroom very handy. It included a slightly lower sink, and grab handle bars near the toilet and shower.
The room was clean and the bed and pillows were pretty comfortable. I didnt' use the wireless internet on this trip, so I can't comment on it. I didn't eat dinner near the hotel but I did really didnt' see anything that looked to great nearby. The hotel is right outside the airport gates, so it is very good for people travelling.
In the morning there was a very nice breakfast spread, (pretty much the same as every HI Express).
If you're used to staying at HI Express hotels, you will be very satisfied with this property!

Ontario
Reviewed 23 February 2008

We booked this hotel because of the proximity to the Buffalo airport - we were flying out to the Florida Keys. Some of our children were driving to the hotel to meet us there, to fly out with us.
We received excellent check-in service and they went out of their way to accommodate us by making certain that activated keys were available for the members of our family who had not yet arrived.
The complimentary breakfast was very good with lots of assortment ranging from bacon, eggs, yogurt, cereal, toast, bagels, juice tea and coffee, etc.
The shuttle service to the airport and long term parking were what made this hotel outstanding for us. Both the shuttle delivery to the airport and pick up from the airport were wonderful. The drivers were exceptionally helpful. There were 7 people traveling in our party including an infant and both drivers went out of their way to make things very easy for us with our luggage. For this reason alone, I highly recommend this hotel to travelers who are flying out of the Buffalo airport - they made our life much easier!

Ontario
Reviewed 9 February 2008

We like to fly out of Buffalo rather than Canada. And we have used a couple of the hotel chains on Genesse St that make their business with the Park N Fly crowd. This was our first stay at this hotel. Our cost of about $150 included breakfast for two, long term parking for up to 2 weeks and airport shuttle to and from.

Typical overnight hotel experience. Room was clean, comfortable and met our short stay needs. There was some airport noise I didnt have a problem with that and in fact I could see airplanes take off from the window which I rather enjoyed watching.

There is a pool and a small work out room. We enjoyed the cozy lounge/breakfast room.

Breakfast next morning was better than most that we've had. Small buffet of breakfast items - scrambeled eggs, sausage patties, toast, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit, cereal, oatmeal, milk, OJ, coffee tea.

Free wireless

The shuttle driver was so friendly and prompt. He made us feel so welcome and he appreciated our business and hoped we'd come again. He even helped scrape the snow off our vehicle when we returned a week later/ A great ambassador for his hotel.

There is tons of great shopping within a short drive which makes the overnight even more appealing to over-taxed Canadians

2 Thank Gonetravellin
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 27 August 2007

I booked this hotel because of its proximity to a conference I was attending at the Millennium Hotel nearby. I had some doubts because of the location directly across from the airport. I have never written a hotel review before, but the experience at this one was so great that I could not resist. From the moment of check-in (I was early but a room was ready) to the moment of check-out three days later everything was perfect. I heard no airplane noise, the king-size bed was very comfortable and I had a choice of pillows, the manager's reception on the evening of my arrival was a delightful surprise, as was learning that the hotel would provide transportation for me, free of charge, to any restaurant of my choice within five miles! The breakfast food was fresh and the coffee was very tasty. The room was kept very clean and the arrangement of shower/toilet/sink was great. Although I was traveling alone I will remember the great facility for future family outings. The staff was friendly, courteous and appeared genuinely concerned for my comfort and satisfaction. The front desk staff knew the area and were able to answer questions about the location of various places I wished to go. In all - despite rainy and storm weather - a great stay in a very excellent hotel. I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Room Comfort
  • Disliked — View from my window
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business