“Another stay and still new issues of disappointment”
Review of Millennium Buffalo

Millennium Buffalo
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Cheektowaga
Toronto, Canada
“Another stay and still new issues of disappointment”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My wife and I travel across the border often, usually staying at the Millenium. I booked through Priceline and got a great price, but had hoped to actually stay at the Holiday Inn as we had a very pleasant stay our last trip. I called the hotel 6 weeks in advance to request a crib - they only have pack n' plays, and if they couldn't supply me with a pack n' play, then a room with 2 beds so my 5 month old would have somewhere to sleep. I was told that neither could be gauranteed because 1) pack n' plays are first come, first serve and 2) I had booked through priceline so my room could not be confirmed as they give confirmed rooms only to those who book through them directly. On a side note: booking through priceline or hotwire seems to get you a room on the 1st or 2nd floors which have not been renovated (see previous posts for the difference between renovated and not).
Check in was smooth and we went to our room located directly above the pool on the second floor. We were able to get a pack n' play and two beds. Apparently this was a request entered on their system. The room smelled of chlorine and upon returning from the mall, there seemed to be a birthday party going on at the pool. We requested a room change and after looking diligently, we were moved to a room on the same floor away from the pool.
That night at 3:30 a.m., the phone rang. It was an automated message.
Soon after, a loud argument broke out. After a half hour, I called the front desk. I saw someone from the hotel outside trying to find the location of the argument (I thought it was the parking lot) and then returned to the hotel. The arguing stopped briefly but then began again. I called a second time and was informed that they were removing the guests from the hotel. This, of course, is not the Milleniums fault, although I wonder how much the arguing couple paid for their room which was above ours on a renovated floor.
Again, because we prepaid through priceline, the hotel was not able to compensate our room rate. They did, however, give us a $25 voucher to the hotel restaurant. We ordered breakfast the next morning. Very pleasant but slow. I actually had to return as they forgot part of the order.
Overall, while I can't complain about the cost and my previous experience with priceline/hotwire has been pleasant, I may think twice before booking with them again as our experience was just so disappointing.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Hebrew first
Keller, Texas
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Every time I called the front desk I was put on hold, often for several minutes. Heater in my room didn't work so well, and was noisy. No free coffee in lobby, $1.25 at restaurant. Business center in lobby inconvenient to use. Right next to mall! Room comfortable. Clean.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Positives: Front desk staff pleasant and accommodating. Plenty of parking available. Breakfast was very good and is served in a nice environment. Great location for both airport travel, shopping and local eateries. Complementary airport shuttle nice touch.
Negatives: Rooms are tired and require updating. Nothing fancy. Lower price draws some interesting clientele - plaid shirt types.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 27 April 2011

My husband and I planned a short cross border shopping getaway with our infant. We chose the Millennium because of its location. We also knew that travelling with an infant would pose some challenges. Because it was March Break, the hotel was busy and this caused some stress immediately. Well in advance of our arrival, I requested a crib for our son. Once checked in, we were told that there was possibly no crib available. True to those words, there was no crib. The hotel staff spent the next hour and half scrambling to find us something. All they could come up with was a pack n'play. Luckily my husband had the foresight to bring our pack n'play because that's what our son spent the two nights we stayed in. The whole reason for requesting him the crib was so that he wouldn't have to sleep so close to the floor. Needless to say, everybody in our room had two very rough nights. Not the falut of the hotel's, but planes could be heard taking off and coming in for landing late into the night and early the next morning. I think with its proximity to the airport they need to consider putting in better glazed windows. Also on the negative side, the only microwave for heating up the baby's food was down in the lobby. It's not an ideal set up especially when you're five floors up! On that note too, we brought a kettle and used hot water to heat the baby's food up. Another suggestion for the hotel would be to have microwaves on every floor or every other floor with the vending and ice machines at the end of the hall. The room in terms of safety for an infant that's crawling and curious was riddled with danger zones. There were electrical cords by the dozen underneath the desk that our son couldn't resist checking out. Unfortuantely, he either spent time in his pack n'play or being supervised by one us when out of it when we were in the room. We paid slightly more for a room hoping that we'd get slightly more for our money. We probably got prettier bed linen for the price.

A positive was having a refrigerator in the room. Although we brought a plug in cooler to keep the baby's formula and food cold until needed, we appreciated having the fridge. We also appreciated having a room at the end of the hall next to the service elevator. We found it quiet and there weren't a lot of comings and goings for other guests.

I think the Millennium's selling feature is its location to shopping. The ability to just take a short walk though doesn't justify the nightly rate or the lack of other features needed for my family to have a comfortable stay. It's suited for families' with older children. I think with some searching around, there are probably one or two other options available for an equal or lower nightly rate.

Room Tip: This hotel is great for families with older kids.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Keswick, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Went down for the Easter long weekend, shopping madness. The place is average,room was clean and quiet. Stayed on the third floor #326. Two double beds. We are not ones to spend much time in the room, so it was good for our needs. Clean, comfortable, good water pressure, no bugs. And right next to the Mall.
The bar was nice and we had breakfast at the restaurant. The food was good. Prices were average.
The kids enjoyed the pool, clean and warm.
After reading some of these reviews I was a little concerned, needless to say we had a great stay!
We would return.

1 Thank keswickdoodle
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Stayed at Millenium based on recommendations. Front desk staff very nice, lobby & atrium appealing, appearance of room very nice. However, there was a constant whistling noise through the balcony door which kept my daughter from sleeping very much, the food for breakfast was disappointing and the worse aspect is we returned covered in bedbugs. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Cheektowaga hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We booked a deal through the hotel for a girl's weekend shopping. After reading the reviews here, I was worried that we had made a poor choice. However, we were thrilled with the hotel, the room, and the deal we got!

Our room was spotless and large with two double beds and a balcony overlooking the pool area. The beds were a bit hard. The bathroom was small but more than adequate. The pool area was really quite nice, and we found ourselves wishing we had more time to spend lounging around.

The restaurant was really nothing special. Although the prices were good, I really would not recommend it. There are plenty of better restaurants around the hotel that I wouldn't waste your time there. The bar was quite nice and reasonably priced.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning!

Room Tip: Look for the $100 for $150 deal
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends