“Great food, nice atmosphere”
Review of The Bullhouse

The Bullhouse
Ranked #5 of 18 Restaurants in Chestertown
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Latin
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Bullhouse has the delicious Latin American comfort food that you crave in an upscale, yet casual environment in the heart of Chestertown. Our wide range of entree choices include steaks ranging from a 22 oz. prime strip steak, to a Black Angus prime sirloin. We have seafood, soups, and salads as well. Join us for tapas and starters such as the Beef Empanadas. Pumpkin Raviolis, or Smoked Mozzarella. While you're at it, our full bar has an impressive selection of craft beers and fine wine to go along with your unforgettable meal. Looking for a quick bite in the late afternoon? Join us for happy hour every day from 5 - 6PM where you can check out our buy one, get one free special on draft beer, domestic bottles, house wines and spirits! If you're interested in a friendly competition with your friends, stop by on Thursday nights for Trivia Night. At The Bullhouse, we have a passion for quality food that encompasses far-reaching varieties of flavor that we're confident will exceed your standards of what Latin American cuisine can be. We're located in the historical Remington Building which will create a classical charm to go along with your dining experience. Whether you're a Chestertown local or someone from out of town, we're looking forward to you joining us here at the Bullhouse.
Staten Island, New York
“Great food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Great bar. Wine & beer lists were great. Upscale Tex-Mex flavor. Nice steak and fish selections. Nice portions. Staff was friendly and attentive. Return visit is definite.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mary M

“WOW”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Wow had a great dinner very friendly atmosphere. Warm and so inviting we stayed for another glass of wine. 28 day aged sirloin was fantastic. Worth the drive can't wait to go back. Sues

• Visited October 2013
Pottersville, Ny
“First visit; more to come”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our server was very helpful and friendly. All appetizers and entrees were excellent, and the tuna was perfectly prepared.

Visited September 2013
ny
“Nice restaurant in Chestertown - worth a visit.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We have been here twice so far and have been pleased both times. They have a very lovely bar that currently service beer and wine. The dining area is cute - a little sparse - but still very nice. Wait staff have been good both times - friendly and attentive. Dinners were very good both times. Food is plentiful and very good.... give this place a try!

• Visited August 2013
Marshfield, Massachusetts
“Excellent dining in the Adirondacks”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Chestertown New York is the next town over from where we have summer vacationed for the past ten years at the boathouse right on Brant Lake. Mostly we cook at the boathouse.

We do not eat out that much because the good restaurants are few and far between and, in our minds, just OK.

That all changed on a Monday evening when we tried the new restaurant in Chestertown.

The Bullhouse opened in February of 2013. Monday night found it full with only one table left. I would guess that the patrons were mostly well-dressed vacationers. I could be wrong about that.

They have a very nice sort of eclectic menu, mainly featuring steak. I have not had much luck with steak lately -- or ever, really. To my wife’s and my surprise there was list of Mexican specialties also. Under FAVORITES were listed

Tequila Ahi Tuna
Smoked Paprika Chicken
Mesquite Pork Chop
Quinoa Stuffed Chile Rellenos
and Gulf Coast Fish

You can even order a Coca Cola from Mexico. The one with the cane sugar, just as you remember it growing up.

I had no expectations whatsoever and I was not hungry, although the chile rellenos sounded good. Under steaks, I opted for the strip steak open sandwich. My wife ordered the chile rellenos. We both thought that the steak might be what we call in Boston a steak and cheese. Or in Philadelphia, a cheese steak.

They have a very sweet, competent, friendly waitstaff. Ours was here from Romania.

Our meals arrived. My steak was cut in slices and about one half an inch thick. The bread slices underneath were delicious. Fries on the side and broccoli for a vegetable. There were five toppers to choose from: poblano rajas, chimichurri, mushroom demi glaze, chipolte crema, and the one that I chose, garlic butter. Underpriced for such a large portion I thought.

Are you getting hungry?

Having traveled extensively through Mexico and the American Southwest for the past 46 years, we feel a little bit like experts. Especially on chili rellenos. I was shocked when my wife said that it was the very best chili rellenos that she has EVER had. I tried it and agreed. My steak was fabulous and although it was a large portion and I wasn't hungry, I finished it all.

Don't get the wrong idea. It is not a Mexican restaurant. There are all kinds of side dishes, starters, soups and salads, and as I said, steaks. Four different kinds.

The 1893 wooden building that houses The Bullhouse is beautiful, and reminds you very much of a ski town in the snowy mountains of Colorado or Utah.

Two days later we were back. With us were our friends visiting from Albuquerque. They agreed that it was the best chile rellenos ever. Quite an endorsement from New Mexico and Texas residents. They were on a 30-day road trip and said that this was their best meal yet. An Italian restaurant in Saint Louis came in second.

The owner, Lonnie Shenefield, says so far it has been a learning experience. It is her first restaurant. I suggest you make your reservations now.

This restaurant is and will be a huge success. Exit 25 off the Northway Route 87 on the main street in Chestertown New York.

If I lived 30 miles or even 40 miles away from there, I would go back monthly. I already know where we will have our first meal out come next August’s vacation in the Adirondacks.

factoid ..... Rachael Ray grew up 20 minutes away in Lake George New York.

• Visited August 2013