“Original soda fountain with great food!”

Main St Ice Cream Parlor
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Chestertown
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are a family owned business that opened in 1990. Our restaurant specializes in soups, sandwiches, salads. All food is prepared from scratch, in the summer we grow our vegetables/herbs organically in our garden. Located upstairs you will find a unique clothing boutique and gift shop. We are open 7 days a week with extended hours in the summer.
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My girl friends and I spent a long weekend at Loon Lake in the Adirondack Mts. recently. We looked at our AAA Tour Book for restaurants, etc., and the Main St Ice Cream Parlor was one of the very few restaurants written up. This is an old fashioned soda fountain with soups, sandwiches, and salads, along with ice cream. The ice cream is made by Hershey's but the food is all homemade and is delicious. Since I'm dieting, I had a salad plate with tuna fish, cottage cheese, and a whole array of fresh and delicious fruits and vegetables. There was probably enough for two people. My friend had a turkey sandwich on marble rye bread with all the fixings and ate the whole thing. Portions are not skimpy. Of course we had to have some ice cream, although I was a tiny bit disappointed that it was not homemade, given we were in a very small town. But the sundae we shared was very good and did not disappoint.

The restaurant boasts all kinds of Coca-Cola paraphernalia...old fashioned coke machines and signs that brought back lots of memories, especially if you are over 60 years old. There is also a gift shop upstairs which is quite extensive. I found that there were not too many shops in the whole town so if you are looking for nice gifts and souvenirs, this is a good place to shop. I bought my 5 year old grandson "moose" socks. They also sell homemade candy and pastries but being that it was summer and hot, we couldn't take a chance in bringing any of it back with us.

If you are near Loon Lake or Lake George, don't miss this little gem...good food, good prices, and a very homey atmosphere.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have been coming to the Ice Cream Parlor for the past two years and find an exceptional place for lunch, and now breakfast too. The soups, sandwiches are the best. The owner Bruce makes absolutely world class soups and you can't go wrong. There is also a special where you can choose a half of sandwich and have a cup of soup. But once you taste Bruce's soups you will have wished you ordered a bowl. The Ice Cream Parlor will remind you of soda fountains from years past. And you can even get an egg cream or a delicious ice cream soda. Don't miss the Ice Cream Parlor and it is worthy of a stop right off of Exit 25 of the Northway.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We live in Brant Lake, and have been patronizing this restaurant long before it took over the old schoolhouse and was just a small local gift shop , serving dinner as well as lunch ...always with good food. Today, it continues to uphold it's reputation for fresh, creative soups and sandwiches. For lunch, I recommend the specials in sandwiches (although all are great). Today's was a Pastrami with peppers and caramelized onions served with a side of quinoa salad that was surprisingly tasty.
Be sure to visit the upstairs gift shop which offers high quality goods and gifts,from Adirondack style to country, some fun; some elegant. It's a pleasure to support such a local dining spot and gift shop.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Located in the center of a small Adirondack village. Building is a renovated school house with unique decor. Very good sandwiches and daily soups.

1  Thank Rick D
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Dont get me wrong it is a nice shop. I guess I was expecting home made ice cream. In different flavors etc.
it is just plain old hersheys ice cream, we had see the other reviews and thought it was something special. Nope 20mi I should have saved. But it was a pretty drive up the road

1  Thank John W