“Complex is a dump.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Clarence
Kitchener, Canada
“Complex is a dump.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

What appeared to be long term residents inhabit the place. When we returned after a night out they were seated in front of their hotel room drinking and talking loudly at 2:30 in the morning. Our room was sandwiched between two of these long term units and smoke was able to infiltrate our room. Better towels are available at the Goodwill. The owner dressed in a soiled shirt gave us the keys. Unless you are extremely desperate, find another place to stay. Covering under the guise of Americas Best Value Inns when in fact it is a makeover property with the original name on a sign is a disgrace. I would rather have slept in our SUV. Zero rating. Zero quality control.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Biloxi, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

i know this is not a review since ive yet to stay in the hotel but the price is right and Im hoping that Im able to sleep comfortably!I will post a full review after my two night stay and i like pictures!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

First let me start with the reservation process. I did not call the hotel directly. I called ABVI reservations. She could not find the hotel and I actually had to tell her where it was! The system was down and the process took at least 15 minutes to secure the reservation. I am going to let that slide because things happen but it should have been a sign that this was not the place for me. I have to laugh because another reviewer said the owner "basically threw the keys at me" and this is EXACTLY what happened to me as well! I have never received such poor check in service - ever, The room had such a stench that I almost couldn't take, Thankfully I had Fabreeze with me. The room seemed like it had just been opened up from winter. Very dank and cold. Room had a microwave and mini fridge and everything was in working order. I will say that although the rooms are run down and the furniture and fixtures are as well, the room was clean, but that is not to say one should stay here. It was cheap and of course you get what you pay for, but please spend a few more dollars and stay at one of the many properties about a mile away. It was in a good location and had a very cute grocery store down the road as well as a Tim Horton's, Walgreens, etc. for any needs.

Room Tip: There are many chain hotels about a mile away. Choose one.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
DennisP1211, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
We are sorry that your stay with us was "less than perfect". We have just become Americas Best Value Inn and are very proud of our property. We like to hand our key to our guests versus just putting it on the counter because it is more courteous. However, some of our desk clerk were not aware that is rude. We have since trained our staff to always hand the key to our guests so they feel welcome and happy to be here. As far as our rooms being "dank and cold"...we usually have the heat on to prepare our guests for a comfortable stay. However, in June we keep it off. Sometimes we encounter long days of chilly, maybe rainy weather in northern New York, so it sometime feels colder in the rooms until we open the curtains and let the sun shine in to take the slight chill away. You are always welcome to turn the heat on for a few minutes to remove the chill as well. Since we have just taken over the property, we are in the process of replacing older furniture with more modern furniture. We have just replaced the carpeting and new ac/heater units. As I said earlier, we are very proud of our property and would only hope that you would try us again. We are confident you will like the improvements.

Travellers are raving about these Clarence hotels

Jersey City, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I booked this hotel for two days but it was very bad experience. All appliances did not work properly such as microwave, AC, Heater and TV also. The bathroom was so dirty and smelling bad. Bathroom floor was sticky. Towels were not clean and there were so many bugs near toilet bowl.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We are more than sorry that you had some difficulty with the appliances in your room. We checked them out and found them unplugged. Sometimes the housekeepers will unplug them to use the vacuum. We wish you would have called the front desk to let us know, so we could have taken care of that for you right away. The bathroom floors were probably sticky from moisture sometimes building up in rooms that haven't been used, but they were definitely clean. As far as bugs go, they may also have been there while the room was closed up. We have instructed the housekeeping to check all already-cleaned rooms that have not been rented out for awhile to make sure this will never happen again. They are also putting the a/c units on prior to guest's arrival to take away any added moisture in room. I can assure you that we have a very proficient housekeeping team and they would never have put out dirty towels, but we instructed them that if they are worn then they must let us know so we can order new towels. We hope that you will return to our property and enjoy our new improvements.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

First the owner Basically threw the keys at me and you don't get everything they say your supposed to get that's included in the room. When it says u get a sofabed in the suite it's all a lie. Half the lights didn't work not even in the jacuzzi. Heat barely worked

• Stayed March 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This place used to be great but now not so much. Room was clean and well maintained but that's about the best I can say. When we arrived it was 14 degrees outside and there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. The heat in our room was completely shut off even though we had a reservation (for which we had to prepay). It took several hours for the room to warm up to the point where we could take off our jackets. Also the parking lot was not plowed and the walk was not cleared so we had to trudge through the snow to go back and forth from our car to the room.

It's obvious that this place is now all about cutting corners to save money, which I can understand but, considering the price I think they've gone a bit too far.

Room Tip: A suite is nice in the winter because the fireplace helps warm it up quicker
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dhlogan
Batavia, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

I SURPRISED AT THE TERRIBLE REVIEWS I JUST READ.....
I have stayed here on four occasions and yet to have had a bad experience. I normally rent one of the mini-suites....some are better than others....the master-suite I have recently rented and it was lovely. The service is only adequate but I don't go there to be pampered I like the privacy. My rooms have always been clean, clean linen and plenty of it....I have never stayed in the summer so I have no idea about the pool conditions. The best deal is actually the master-suite and for the little extra money that it costs over the other rooms...that is what I would suggest. Room 138 and 144 are the nicest out of the ones I've stayed in....137 is a mini-suite with living-room space and fireplace, kitchenet, bedroom, and only has a Jacuzzi tub in bathroom....144 is a master suite it has a bedroom with fireplace, full kitchen, separate room with full sized hot-tub, and bathroom....137 is a very simple room with fireplace and red heart shaped Jacuzzi next to bed....the other room I stayed in I cannot remember the room number but it was one large room with living-room furniture and the Jacuzzi next to the bed, no fireplace....I believe there are at least two more rooms with Jacuzzi's and possibly fireplaces in them - I think one of them has a white heart shaped Jacuzzi. I was not at all disappointed with the Village Haven....I rented a very simple two-bed room with a TV and nothing else at the Comfort Inn that cost me more money than the master-suite here.....and the service at the Comfort Inn was way worse...same with the cleanliness.

Room Tip: rent the master-suite room 144.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zoe M
We couldn't thank you enough for sharing your descriptions of our rooms and your positive reply. We are trying very hard to improve our property on and on-going basis. We have just replaced a/c conditioners in half our rooms, and all of our rooms are newly carpeted. Actually right now we have a contractor on site doing new tiling in all of our jacuzzi rooms and our 32'' flat screens are coming in any day. And our jauzzi's have all been resurfaced. We are very excited about the improvements and look forward to your return visit and look forward to many more visitors like you. Again, thanks so much for your thoughtful words!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarence
Red Roof Inn Buffalo Niagara Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,735 reviews
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#13 of 16 in Amherst

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!