“"Maybe not all that you want, but has all that you need..."”
Review of The Clarence Inn

The Clarence Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clarence
Buffalo, New York
“"Maybe not all that you want, but has all that you need..."”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My apologies... I stayed Thanksgiving eve 2013, and am just doing the review now... Overall, with only 2 issues, I was quite content with my stay and would recommend this motel to the thrifty budget conscious traveler. Those for whom ambience and amenities are necessities, STOP reading this review... there is no ambience and there are no amenities... Yet, for a relatively economical price, you get a clean decent sized room with extended stay capabilities: fridge, stove, cupboard, dishes, etc. In fact, the nice sign outside advertises "extended stay" and I rather suspect ownership would like to cater to that trade, but does accommodate single-nighters and so forth, as they did me. Now, this place is very much a "work in progress;" a small motel of maybe 15 units or so, it has been here for years.. Decades.. Maybe back to '50s/60s... I met the owner, a lady very much in the entrepreneurial spirit, who has changed the name and is engaged in extensive renovations. And here is the first negative - not a biggee for me. The motel is shaped in an inverted "L" with a separate main building in the left open area... It is being renovated with open baseboard front showing, chewed up front yard with a few construction vehicles scattered around... Hmmm.. Did I mention ambience, earlier? Lol... So, if that's a necessity for you, move on... The room itself was very clean, quite warm (yes, we had a lot of snow), and for me - very important - one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in for years! Rm 111 ... I am a local by the way, and can assure you that despite its rough appearance, you are situated in one of the safest areas in the Buffalo metro area... Clarence is an affluent suburb with roots going back to rural German immigrants in early-mid-late 1800s... Now, the social register runs the gamut from farming, working class, lower-upper middle class and includes teachers, doctors, lawyers, sports celebrities, etc. There is a New York State troopers station mile and a half down Main St. And a Erie County Sheriff's Office another mile down in the town park... There are several 24-7 convenient stores and do-nut shops within a half-mile radius. AND 4-5 minute drive due west on Main intersects with major drag - Transit Road - which has several miles of big box stores and malls... The location is GREAT.. everything you could want pretty much,... Now, about those night lights... Lol.. At night driving by, the night lighting unfortunately has a slightly Bates Motel creepy look,,, put in some colored lights - mix up the colors - make it more festive - dress the old girl up..
Finally, my major most serious criticism is the cable TV: for a short term one night or so, well,, so what right? But for extended stay people, having only about 20 channels, most of which are shopping or religious is a definite red flag, although I did manage to catch the Thanksgiving flying turkey re-run episode of WKRP in Cincinnati. For sure, I would book again for short term, but for extended stay, the bottom tier cable package or whatever it is, could well be a deal breaker, unless I had a lot to keep occupied otherwise. I would upgrade that cable package and make it a bit more attractive.

Room Tip: Rm 111 had great bed for sleeping
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Nelson1066
Diana H, Owner at The Clarence Inn, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I appreciate your feedback. Please come and stay with us again!
Diana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wurzburg, Germany
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is a nice place to spend the night. The rooms are clean and quiet and the owners were friendly. The value for money is great! It is about an hour to the niagara falls which is a nice daytrip from there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Unterfranke_123
Diana H, Owner at The Clarence Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thanks. Hope to see you again.
Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you are looking for 5 stars head to the Ritz. The rooms are reasonable, comfortable and clean with friendly service. Clarence Inn is a great choice.I had stopped at 3 bargain hotels in Clarence and chose the Clarence Inn. I definitely stay again

• Stayed August 2013
Diana H, Owner at The Clarence Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for your favorable review of our property. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will come and stay with us again.
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I spent 3 nights here and it felt like I was living with a long lost aunt from Diana. She was so nice and helpful making sure that an asian small girl like me, first time to ever see a snow will have all my needs taken care of. Elie was very helpful too making sure that my internet was working fine. I will definitely go back and recommend this place to anyone. Great value for money, great people willing to help out!

• Stayed March 2013
Diana H, Owner at The Clarence Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
I am so glad that we were able to make your stay feel like home. You were a joy to have as a guest and I hope we will see you again the next time you come to town.
Altamont, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I can't say enough about the Clarence Inn. The owners, especially Diane, made me feel so welcome. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Quite an excellent sight after driving 5 hours every week to work at a local Hospital. I've been staying at the Clarence Inn every week for the past 10 weeks. My assignment ends in a week and I'm off to the next city. I can only hope I can find another place like this.

Room Tip: Clean, comfortable and affordable.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michelle G
Diana H, Owner at The Clarence Inn, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
thank you so much for your kind review. i feel very fortunate to come across guests like you that appreciate what we have to offer. i am delighted that we have met your expectations. i am thankful that you have decided to return each and every week during your temporary work assignment in our area. as the owner of this business for over 20 years,i can say that it is people like you that make all the hard work worth it!!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My wife and I love Clarence New York. We come here for the Antique Mall as well as a few other unique antique dealers. Lately we’ve also discovered a fabulous Bistro called the “Hollow” well worth the trip.

We decided to go to Clarence at the last minute and phoned around for a room. We ended up staying at the Clarence Inn. As usual we checked the comments on Tripadvisor and they were mostly good with every other 5th one being horrific. How can this be? It’s about expectations.

What can be expected for $50 a night? A safe clean room: end of story. The Clarence Inn offers this with a smile. It was cold out and we were kept warm. It was quiet. It’s located about a minute from a Tim Horton’s for morning coffee. Was it a great experience for what we paid for: absolutely.

If you are looking for something luxurious go spend $300 a night in Buffalo or Niagara Falls: just don’t stay at the Clarence Inn and complain about it.

We will return to the Clarence Inn for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BizzyTraveller01
Diana H, Owner at The Clarence Inn, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you for the nice review. I hope you will come and stay with us again the next time you visit Clarence NY.
Whittier, California
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Enjoyed the very clean room, excellent hospitality, and "homey" feel! From the time I arrived I felt welcomed by the owners who escorted me to my room which was simple yet very clean and usable. You can tell that the owners care about helping their guests and for me, went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. For singles, it is a very safe location with doors that double-lock. Neighborhood is safe and quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms are all good and located in a quiet, safe area of town.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MesaMaverick
Diana H, Owner at The Clarence Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you for your kind review of our property. I am very pleased that we were able to meet your satisfaction.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarence
Salvatore's Grand Hotel
Salvatore's Grand Hotel
#1 of 12 in Williamsville
Salvatore's Garden Place Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Red Roof Inn Buffalo Niagara Airport
SpringHill Suites Buffalo Airport
Wyndham Garden Buffalo Williamsville
Hampton Inn Buffalo-Williamsville

Been to The Clarence Inn? Share your experiences!