“Has-been” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 23 Restaurants in Clay
Price range: US$3 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Euclid is a Family Restaurant serving home style cooking to the Clay, Liverpool, Syracuse areas. Seafood, Pasta, Steaks & Chops
Oswego, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Has-been”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The very definition of a has-been local favorite.

Good restaurants can have bad nights, that shows in the service OR food quality. But when the restaurant fails at both at the same time AND management doesn't acknowledge your private complaint, then you ate at a bad restaurant.

I used their website's Contact Us with the following on May 7 and haven't heard a peep from them:

I am disappointed in the Euclid after our 1st visit last night. We try to avoid chain restaurants but was reminded last night that chains provide a necessary component for a night out: quality.

My wife and I entered last night when the place was less than 1/3 full but the hostess attempted to seat us at a very tiny table in the middle barely 2' from another table of diners. We requested to sit somewhere further from other diners and she obliged. But the next group seated was placed at the table right next to ours; this made for an uncomfortably close experience. (Especially as the other table often had phlegm-filled noisy coughs which you have no control over but set the scene for an unenjoyable meal.)

After being excited about the variety on the menu (and the reputation for good food) we ordered and waited. And waited. About 10 minutes later the waitress brought out 2 dinner rolls with a huge basket of too-cold butter.

Finally get our meal and my wife's cheese burger was ordered medium but was so thin that it was impossible to cook to any temperature. And we are woefully unimpressed that American was the ONLY style of cheese available.

My chicken & biscuits was something. Plenty of chicken and gravy, couldn't see the biscuits until I started eating. But I'm glad I asked for the peas & carrots side dish because that plate was void of color otherwise. The peas had an obvious and unpleasant canned taste and the chicken/gravy was very salty.

Nothing about our order should have taken more than 5 minutes to prepare - the burger was so thin is would cook within a few minutes and the chicken/biscuits was surely a scoop-and-serve plate. Yet we waited far too long for the unimpressive food. And I'm shocked there wasn't an attempt to make even a portion of our meal be actually homemade. It was all so obviously pre-packaged. (The dinner rolls were decent, but still served as they were bought straight-from-the-store, still connected and not warmed.)

We muddled through the meal because we were on a bit of a schedule and are not the kind of couple to incessantly make a scene. We decided to simply scratch this place off our "local-restaurant" list.

And something about her meal made my wife's stomach uneasy the rest of the evening, including vomiting within an hour of the meal. (No, not food poisoning obviously, but just the general experience combined with the unsettled food.)

I share our experience in hopes that honest feedback is taken seriously and not attributed to being a grumpy customer. Good luck with any changes and I'm sorry that we left with such a negative impression.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank fonzetf

Norwood, New York
“Nice atmosphere and plenty of good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

While in the area for work, I remember eating at this restaurant 24 hrs ago when I was training for another job. At that time I had the had dock and remember it being very good. So, I decided to try it again. This time I had the special which was around $20 and was prime rib with two sides, and bacon wrapped scallops and also came with a roll. My sides were a Cesar salad and I had fries. The prime rib was excellent - just the right amount of garlic and the plate bottom had a just for dipping. It was moist and tender - delicious. The bacon wrapped scallops were broiled in butter and there were five or six - these were tender and delicious also. I only had a half of the roll and the Cesar salad was typical but good tasting. With all that I hardly touched the fries. In all it was a great meal at a great price and the restaurant is a family style. There is also a huge bar area that I walked by to get to the dining area; it looked cozy and fully stocked. I could see going there after work or on the weekends for a brew or two frequently. I would definitely go again! Not to forget... The service was great; maybe 10-12 minutes before my main meal was served and my waitress was very attentive but not overly.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sunflower67
“Great food at a very reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I am a frequent guest here and have never had a bad meal. Their All You Can Eat fried chicken on Wednesdays is the best.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Always wanted to try this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I'm glad I finally tried the Euclid restaurant. Certainly will stop by again. Good service and decent food that's not chain crap.

Syracuse, New York
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

It was surprisingly busy for a Monday night; our waitress did a good job considering how many tables she had. Prices were very reasonable and we had dinner for three (1 beer, tap water) for $60-something with tip. Food was plentiful but the presentation was unappetizing (plate of roast pork special COVERED to the brim in gravy even where there was no food; scallops sitting in 1/2" of butter; lasagna plopped in the middle of a large otherwise bare plate) and the flavors were unremarkable. Chef salads included one very pale, hard tomato slice and a few shreds of carrot with the iceberg lettuce; dressing served on side. Rolls were doughy. The last time I was there was probably 20+ years ago and that's how long it will be before I return. Two of us were cold the entire time we were there. It probably felt good to the waitresses, though.

• Visited December 2013