“It's a DUMP!”

Lanz's Motel, Cottages & RV Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clayton
Lanz's Motel, Cottages & RV Campground
Ticonderoga, New York, United States
“It's a DUMP!”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We booked this motel online, against protests from the person I was traveling with. We had only seen the place by its web page and I guess should have known better. Upon arriving we paid for the two nights we had booked. We were handed a key and went to our room, room 4. As soon as we opened the door we KNEW it was bad by the smell of the year 1950 that billowed out the door. This place is like going back in time to the fifties and NOT in a good way! I'm positive the mattress is still the original one. I told my companion that I couldn't stay here for one night let alone two! He was tired from driving the hours we had driven to get there and being a holiday weekend we weren't sure if we would be able to find a room somewhere else. He talked me into staying at least one night and I agreed, through teary eyes. He went to the office and explained we only were going to stay one night and were told the owner comes in the morning and to discuss it with him at that time. So we had dinner in Alex Bay, stopped and got wine since I knew that bed was not going to be easy to sleep well in! We sat OUTSIDE the room and drank our wine in chairs. The lady came over to us from the office at 9:00 pm and said that she had talked to the owner and that he had agreed to send us a check for the following night since we wouldn't be staying. A week and a half later no check still. I call and ask for the owner ( it was a male that answered the phone so I knew it was the owner) after hesitation and asking who was calling he said it was the owner. I very nicely explained how the lady came over to us while we were sitting outside and told us he would be sending us the check for the night we didn't stay and we still hadn't received it. He then told me that was not their policy. I asked him then if the lady had lied to me, he said he didn't know what I was talking about blah blah blah. I asked him if it was HIS policy to also have his employees lie for him? I advised him that I do reviews on Tripadvisor and if I didn't receive my check by the following Tuesday, giving him seven days to get it in the mail and send it, then I would tell it like it is at Laz's... A DIVE and horrible proprietor customer service and ethics. Stay away fellow travelers!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Colleen F

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Marriottsville, Maryland
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Having had parents that have owned an old motel, I appreciate the difficulties involved in doing so. On the one hand, it is hard to complain too much at such a low price, yet the rundown condition was bad enough that you have to wonder at how much the owners care. In our case, the cottage we had had paint peeling so bad around the windows, it was basically unpainted. The old box of matches left to light the stove didn't work (we had to buy our own). The satellite TV didn't work (it only got infomercial channels pay per view channels, and a handful of animal planet channels. Three requests to have it fixed didn't result in any effective action. But I'd say the worst part is the lack of any comfortable seating. The "futon" was awfully uncomfortable to sit in (and it had collapsed in the middle, apparently it's middle leg was missing). On the plus side, the plumbing did work, and so did the fridge (sort of).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Perry G

Travellers are raving about these Clayton hotels

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We've been coming here every summer since 1987. The cottages are old and you need to bring your own linens and some pots and pans, but it's the river that is the draw not the accommodations. The fishing is great with smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, northern pike, perch, and other species to catch. There are many trailer/rv sites available, many people stay there all summer. There is a pool and a sand beach. Docks are available and there is a launch ramp on grounds.

Room Tip: Motel rooms are available, but people staying more than a night or two should opt for a cabin. If yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Springwater, New York, United States
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I have stayed at Lan'z several times. It is my favorite place to stay in the Thousand Islands! The cottages are old but clean. I love the atmosphere. Sometimes you run into small issues with the cottages but they are old so that is to be expected. Anytime I have had anything that needed to be dealt with, the staff was right on it and took care of it. The owners are wonderful and accommodating. I happen to love the cottages, they have character. I have taken several people to Lanz's and they all loved it too! We can't wait until June for our next visit! Always a good time and more than reasonably priced. :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Heather R
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My fiance and I were meeting up with his parents to spend a weekend in the Thousand Islands area. We decided to stay in the States (we are from Canada) and his parents booked a 3-bedroom cottage at Lanz's. The cottage was roomy, but not very clean and not well maintained. The doors, front of the sink cabinet in the kitchen, carpets, and couches were dirty. Overall, the place was dated. There were also spiders living in the cottage along with us!

The bed was a bit uncomfortable because of the springs. We did not trust the bed linens provided, and thankfully had our own sheets.

It's a shame, because if the owners put more effort into cleaning the cottage, replacing old or broken equipment, and updating the furniture, the place would be quite good. Not 5 stars, but much better than what we experienced. Location is right on the water, with a nice view of the waterfront, and it seemed very popular for people with trailers/RV's.

Pros: Gas stove and fridge functioned fine. Shower had enough hot water in the morning. Cottage is roomy. Right on the water.
Cons: Dirty, looks old, walls very thin, bad smell in the bathroom, generally not well kept.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LilT1082
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2012

i arrived at lanz on a sat, they didnt even know i was coming, the room they gave me was so dirty, no clean sheets, so they told e to put linens on top of them myself, the linens they gave me smelled like mothballs it was so bad, then the room had more dirt and bugs in it then anyone could ever handle, it was the most unsanitery room every, so i decided to not take the room, and they insisited that they still had to charge me over $100, please , no one dare this place, i think its the worst in new york, i rather sleep in my car!!!!!

Room Tip: avoid this place at all costs!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jim d
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed for a week right before labor day. The cabin was very inexpensive and clean. Thea access to the waterfront and boat ramp and docks was excellent. The bed was HORRIBLE and the dished/cooking pans very sparse and unusable. We bought paper plates and a small frying pan to make breakfasts.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Diane D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
1000 Islands Harbor Hotel
#3 of 7 in Clayton
Swan Bay Resort & Marina
Swan Bay Resort & Marina
#2 of 3 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Lanz's Motel, Cottages & RV Campground? Share your experiences!