“Not what I expeted!!”

Clipper Inn
Clipper Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Clayton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2013

All the reviews I read were so great. Well!!! we found the Motel to have paper thin walls we could hear everything in the rooms connected to ours. The shower was not clean the shower curtain was coated with mildew. The bed was so soft my husband and I rolled to the center and nether one of us is over weight.
The restaurant was outstanding. I would recommend just going to the restaurant.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary Jane P

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Very pleased with this motel. We had one of the new rooms with 2 double beds, 3 people. Very nice and spacious, beds comfortable, bathroom a nice size. For a motel and for the price this is fabulous value for money. About a 15 minute walk into town or less than 5 mins to drive, so very well appointed and very quiet. The restaurant seems popular and would be worth a try if we were here longer. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed at the Clipper Inn in June with our kayak group for 3 nights. My wife and I had one of the older rooms that had been all redone. Everything in our room was great and seemed to be new. Two couples with us had new rooms. They were the first people to stay in them.

Mike is the owner and also the chef at the restaurant next to the motel. We ate dinner at the restaurant all 3 nights. The menu is varied and the food excellent. We have never been treated so well. We walked to downtown Clayton from the motel and checked out this nice little town. Highly recommend this gem in Clayton and plan to return next year.

Room Tip: All rooms a very nice.
Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank randy1218
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My family and I booked 3 rooms for the clipper inn this past weekend. And we were pleasantly surprised - not that we had low expectations but we just didn't know what to expect. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The inn is located very near the town of Clayton so it was easy to get to for breakfast and lunch. We had dinner at the Clipper Inn one of the nights and the food was good. Their staff is courteous and friendly and it doesn't seem like they try to cut corners. We plan on making this visit to the St. Lawrence an annual occurrence and with that the Clipper Inn our place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms 7,8 & 9 are new.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank vittorioa6
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I went a couple weeks ago with my 300 level field experience class to the Clipper, for a study on Bed and Breakfasts in the Thousand Islands. I called the Clipper the day before hoping to schedule a meeting with the owner, and he was more than happy to oblige. The owner of this Inn, Michael, was incredibly courteous when we met, and extremely knowledgeable regarding my topic. Upon entering his restaurant, we were overwhelmed by its high class atmosphere, while still feeling very welcome. We sat down in the bar area, and he gave us a talk about the history and business of the thousand island motels for at least 45 minutes, without asking for so much as a cent. We were so impressed, the next day we visited again, this time for dinner, which was absolutely fantastic. Michael came out and thanked us for coming several times, while we thanked him for his delicious entree's - I got the sirloin steak, cooked to perfection, with the best mashed sweet potatoes I've ever had, split a bottle of wine, and topped it all off with an Irish Whiskey. Definitely a night to remember!

A few notes: They also have solar panels on their roof to help provide green energy, always a plus, and their staff were very well trained and professional at all times.

My recommendation? Go.
-Rich

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The rooms are simple -- clean, comfortable, everything you need, extremely affordable. You can easily walk into town, to the waterfront, out to breakfast. The attached restaurant was amazing. We arrived late on a Friday, and I couldn't understand why the parking lot was so packed so early in the season. Turns out, the restaurant is a destination in itself. the entire experience was terrific in every way.

Room Tip: My second visit here, both rooms were fine. I had a room with two beds, but I know they have some w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eileen M
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Clipper Inn while attending the antique boat regatta in Clayton, N.Y. The room was beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. The outside is old fashioned victorian like with adorondak chairs, very quaint. We stayed there in 2002 before the rooms where done over and we were quite pleased with the new rooms. Also, the price is very reasonable. Not to mention there is a great restaurant on the premise .

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank joan m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
1000 Islands Harbor Hotel
Bonnie Castle Resort
Bonnie Castle Resort
#3 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Wooden Boat Inn
Wooden Boat Inn
#3 of 9 in Clayton

Been to Clipper Inn? Share your experiences!