“Whadda Heck Happened?”

Price range: US$10 - US$29
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Clipper Inn is a seasonal restaurant usually open from early April until late October. Off season usually Wednesday through Sunday, Summer Tuesday through Sunday. This well established restaurant features specials typical to United States as well as Europe and Asia. The Chef-Owner has traveled extensively for food and wine ideas.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Whadda Heck Happened?”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We entered the Clipper Inn with high expectations, this being our annual pilgrimage to Clayton for a day on the river at the antique boat regatta followed by culinary delights at the Clipper. We had a great day in downtown Clayton. I should have suspected something was amiss when the person taking reservations was unable to spell our last name so she instead wrote only my first on the list. My wife's pork entrée was OK but Price Chopper's pork chops are just as good. The savory gravy rescued the dish while the homemade creamy cheese accompanying it was absolutely delicious. She tried to overlook a couple of drops of water that fell from the ceiling, grazing her forehead, then landing on the table. It was a bright, sunshiny day. I ordered grass fed Grindstone Island beef, "so tender that it falls off the bone". Good thing because it was laden with fat! I savored 3 or 4 mouthfuls of tender beef, but spent most of the time peeling of a fistful of fat. Our seasoned waitress, when I finally volunteered my unhappiness with the chefs' offering, exclaimed that she had asked "how was everything" and that we had not complained. She had not. She also groused that no one had complained prior to this. To her credit she removed the charges from our bill. I now wonder if the head chef was out for the day and someone may have been filling in? Somehow this was an off day... I still gave a good rating for the Clipper Inn because of the atmosphere, the good, friendly service at the bar, and past experiences. Spinach salad appetizer also great.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank William d

Hilton, New York, United States
“Make a Reservation!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have driven by the Clipper Inn so many times on my way to Clayton, I had no idea it was going to be as fantastic as it was! I would strongly advise to make a reservation if you intend on eating here because during the busy hours it could be a two hour wait for a table! Luckily my family showed up early enough so we could get seated but by the time we left it was packed! The dress isn't formal but I wouldn't advise wearing jeans and a crop top here. The food was fantastic, there were many options to choose from and there should be something there for the whole family! Service was excellent and made sure we always had a drink! I strongly recommend going here if you are in the 1000 island area! It is on the expensive end of options but definitely worth every penny!!

Antwerp, New York, USA
“Disappointed in service”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Let me start off by saying that this restaurant is our favorite in this area but when our service the other weekday night was disappointing I felt I needed to sound out. Our "seasoned" waitresses brought out salads which were beautiful and tasty. My husband and I had finished ours but the other couple had not when they began serving the entrees. The other couple told the waitresses they were not finished as they tried to pick up their dishes. They had to hold their salad plates and finish their salad as entrees were served as there was no room on the small table for four. There were many many tables vacant and we felt very rushed through our lovely dinner. I was embarassed for them wanting to finish their salads before the entree. I ordered the tuna which wasnt as good as I have had it there - more on cold side though I asked for med rare. My husband's lamb was perfect to his liking. This is a great restaurant but I needed to express our disappointment in the service. We will go back but I hope the waitresses can be more accommodating to guests and not make them feel you want their table empty.

1 Thank mjdlray
Ogdensburg, New York
“So delicious!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Went here for dinner on a Saturday night, we didn't have reservations so we ate in the lounge. I had seafood scampi and it was perfect and very filling, my date had the sirloin and it was cooked to perfection. The chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake was to die for! We will be back!

“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Cannot understand how this restaurant has such high ratings. We visited this July and we would never go back. To start, we ordered the calamari. It was old, tough and the breading was completely tasteless. Both of us ordered the gorgonzola chicken pasta. The portion was huge, but there was no gorgonzola flavor. I had to pick around just to find little specks of gorgonzola. The sauce was just a plain alfredo sauce you mix from a packet. The best part of the meal was the bread and olive oil. The salad is just iceberg lettuce, but they are trying by adding olives, pepperoni and mandarian oranges. Service was also not attentive. I had to ask for a water refill twice. It was an expensive meal for just edible.

• Visited July 2014

Been to Clipper Inn? Share your experiences!