“Much nicer than I expected”

Best Western Clifton Park
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Clifton Park
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I was in Clifton Park to see a concert at Northern Lights and frankly would have slept in my car that night if it weren’t winter time. I just needed a warm bed for the night after the concert, and Best Western fit my needs as it was the least expensive in the area. Works for me!

The hotel turned out to be much nicer than I expected, however. The outside of the building is rather drab, but the inside is nice. Looks can be deceiving. My room was clean, had ample furniture, had a clean bathroom with the essentials, and even had free television and internet (I don’t even have television and internet in my own home, so I felt like a king). Most importantly, the bed was comfortable and had enough sheets for the pickiest of sleepers. There’s a very nice pool area as well which can’t be more than a few years old by the looks of it. In the morning there’s a continental breakfast featuring more than just bagels and orange juice. Relax with some tea and a pastry and watch the news before you go wherever it is you’re going. Grab some fruit to go too.

In short, easy to get to off 87, right behind the IHOP. You’ll get your money’s worth, and there is even a free rewards program which I signed up for. Best Western has great deals, so take advantage.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank sethrich

Reviewed 5 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while visiting family in the area - on the recommendation of a family member who stays here frequently on business trips. We obtained a decent room rate, but as our stay coincided with the start of the Saratoga race season, rates at all the area hotels were inflated (and rooms hard to come by) during this time period.
The hotel is in a good location, with easy access to the main highways, and numerous restaurants and shopping areas nearby.
The rooms are a bit on the small side, with dated decor - and could definitely use some updating. The air-conditioners don't work on a thermostat, so are either always on or always off - no middle ground. However, all the rooms have mini-fridges and microwaves, as well as coffeemakers, which is very nice when staying more than 1 night.
There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub area, with windows looking out on an attractive wooded area. Also, a computer is available for public use in the lobby.
The breakfast room is well-stocked with fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, and pre-cooked eggs which can be reheated. Although breakfast is only served from 7-9, the drinks are available throughout the day - coffee, tea, juices and milk.
The main negative I had with the hotel has been mentioned before - the sometimes strong smell of smoke, especially in the hallways. We had a non-smoking room, but it was grouped with the smoking rooms, making it difficult to keep the smell under control. The wing opposite from ours seemed to have mostly non-smoking rooms, so the odor was less pervasive there, but still noticeable.
Overall, I was satisfied with the accommodations, but feel that there are some improvements needed.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heypaula717
Reviewed 25 May 2009

When we checked into the hotel the staff was attentive, informative, and quite personable. My wife and I are a bit of an older couple and we had a decent amount of luggage and when I asked the gentleman at the front desk if they had a luggage cart he offered to carry our bags to the room personally. This was an extremely nice touch. Other hotels we have stayed at in Clifton Park merely give us the luggage cart and we have had to do everything ourselves. This was our first time staying here and we will definitely be back. The hotel was clean and fresh and the room was pleasantly the same. The building is a bit older than some of the other area hotels but it has been maintained well over the years and shows very little wear. The rooms were surprisingly big. Most of these newer hotels the rooms seem very cramped but this was not the case here at the Best Western. Everything seemed to have ample space, including the hallways. The breakfast in the morning was also quite excellent; they had a very good variety for a continental breakfast. Fresh fruit and yogurt is not something we have found while staying at other locations. Lastly, the price was just was we were looking for. When we booked the reservation the young lady on the phone gave us the rates and even extended to us a special rate when we asked. It pays to ask! You never know. One of the best experiences we have had at a hotel in a very long time.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank racefansaratoga
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We requested a non smoking room, however the entire lobby and hallway reeked of cigarette smoke- so much so that it seeped into our room. Our bedding had several burn holes in it as well. The room overall was clean enough, but dated in decor. Several large stains in the bathroom ceiling were unnerving, and it took a discussion with the front desk to figure out how the whirlpool tub in our room operated. (The switch to turn it on is across the bathroom next to the sink so one would have to turn it on beforehand or get out of the tub to turn it on.) For us, it was a convenient location and a fair price, but I doubt we will stay there again unless we check it out first to see if anything has changed. There are many other hotels in the vicinity so I would hope they would clean up their act to remain competitive. The complimentary continental breakfast was more than ample with a broad selection.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrsdevora
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I stayed here while in town for a memorial service. When I first arrived, everything seemed ok. The first thing I noticed is that my air condition wasnt cooling the room. They sent a guy, who claimed to fix it. However, it continued to be hot. The following day I decided that we needed to change rooms because the heat was so bad. Our new room seemed great, until I looked over and in the corner, someone had shaved their hair and there was a pile of either animal or human hair!!!!! I mean, do they clean the rooms or not. When I went to the front desk, the guy said, well all of our house cleaners are gone for the day and we have no more rooms available. He didnt even offer to come clean it. Horrible service, we left and I will never stay at a Best Western again!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hhmeissen
Reviewed 4 June 2008

Have stayed in this hotel before to visit family. Hotel is ok, not many other alternatives in the area. There was a 'guard' watching over the breakfast room so don't try sneaking out with more than one apple! My main gripe..hotel billed my credit card twice and when I called them they told me they had no record of a double billing even though it was showing up on my credit card! They had the nerve to tell me that the credit card company was double billing people. I guess he thought I would believe that. I had to have my credit card cancelled and go through all the usual cancellations and changes..a real pain. I will NEVER stay in this hotel again. Someone, one of the employees, is scamming and this should be investigated by someone other than the hotel account manager because he doesn't have a clue....or maybe he does. Snakes!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChristineKingsPark
Reviewed 26 February 2008

We booked a dinner, room, breakfast package rate for one night. We were upgraded to a king bed, no extra charge. The front desk clerk was friendly and helpful. The hotel room was large and clean. We had access to the rear of the room where the car was parked through a sliding glass door. The room had a small fridge and coffee maker. The bathroom had a two person jacuzzi tub that worked very well and was clean. We also visited the pool, nicely comfortable and warm, the hot tub by the pool was not very hot and had cold water seeping in through the holes where the jets were. They offered a breakfast buffet off the lobby of which we only helped ourselves to coffee. We were pleased by the cleanliness, size, and friendly staff. A great deal for this package. Our dinner choice was Grecian Gardens, the other option was Salty's Pub. Grecian Gardens was delicious and the coupon from the hotel covered the entire dinner for two and drinks. We went over by 25 cents, and also left an appropriate tip. Breakfast was at IHOP directly in front of the hotel. We would definitely stay here again and have referred this location to several friends.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple