“If you are going to stick with the 80s decor, charge 1980s prices”

Best Western Clifton Park
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Clifton Park
bennnie
“If you are going to stick with the 80s decor, charge 1980s prices”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

The hotel is dated, dirty and overpriced. We stayed there because the hotel for our event was overbooked. For the $20 more per night, we got cigarette burned bedspreads, dusty furniture, filthy carpeting and toenails left over from a previous guest (in plain sight). The beer caps we found between the bed and the nightstand were just a bonus.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bennnie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Upon opening the front doors of the hotel there was a foul odor which permeated the entire place. After entering my room I found crumbs on the floor and a bedspread which was stained and had something which I could not identify crushed and stuck to the side. After complaining I was given a different room which was better than the original. I definitely would NEVER stay at this hotel again!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Dasindog
boiling springs scouth Carolina, USA
Reviewed 1 June 2010

This hotel was very nice. The staff was very helpful and it was a clean place to stay. Close to shpping and the highway. Whenever I needed something, I was able to get it. BUT, call hotel for reservations, not Orbitz!! Internet reservation cost me about $15 a night more than if I had called the hotel directly. There was even a sporting event with teens and the place was quiet and I slept well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank msfini828
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I was in Clifton Park to see a concert at Northern Lights and frankly would have slept in my car that night if it weren’t winter time. I just needed a warm bed for the night after the concert, and Best Western fit my needs as it was the least expensive in the area. Works for me!

The hotel turned out to be much nicer than I expected, however. The outside of the building is rather drab, but the inside is nice. Looks can be deceiving. My room was clean, had ample furniture, had a clean bathroom with the essentials, and even had free television and internet (I don’t even have television and internet in my own home, so I felt like a king). Most importantly, the bed was comfortable and had enough sheets for the pickiest of sleepers. There’s a very nice pool area as well which can’t be more than a few years old by the looks of it. In the morning there’s a continental breakfast featuring more than just bagels and orange juice. Relax with some tea and a pastry and watch the news before you go wherever it is you’re going. Grab some fruit to go too.

In short, easy to get to off 87, right behind the IHOP. You’ll get your money’s worth, and there is even a free rewards program which I signed up for. Best Western has great deals, so take advantage.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank sethrich
Ennis MT
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while visiting family in the area - on the recommendation of a family member who stays here frequently on business trips. We obtained a decent room rate, but as our stay coincided with the start of the Saratoga race season, rates at all the area hotels were inflated (and rooms hard to come by) during this time period.
The hotel is in a good location, with easy access to the main highways, and numerous restaurants and shopping areas nearby.
The rooms are a bit on the small side, with dated decor - and could definitely use some updating. The air-conditioners don't work on a thermostat, so are either always on or always off - no middle ground. However, all the rooms have mini-fridges and microwaves, as well as coffeemakers, which is very nice when staying more than 1 night.
There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub area, with windows looking out on an attractive wooded area. Also, a computer is available for public use in the lobby.
The breakfast room is well-stocked with fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, and pre-cooked eggs which can be reheated. Although breakfast is only served from 7-9, the drinks are available throughout the day - coffee, tea, juices and milk.
The main negative I had with the hotel has been mentioned before - the sometimes strong smell of smoke, especially in the hallways. We had a non-smoking room, but it was grouped with the smoking rooms, making it difficult to keep the smell under control. The wing opposite from ours seemed to have mostly non-smoking rooms, so the odor was less pervasive there, but still noticeable.
Overall, I was satisfied with the accommodations, but feel that there are some improvements needed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heypaula717
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 25 May 2009

When we checked into the hotel the staff was attentive, informative, and quite personable. My wife and I are a bit of an older couple and we had a decent amount of luggage and when I asked the gentleman at the front desk if they had a luggage cart he offered to carry our bags to the room personally. This was an extremely nice touch. Other hotels we have stayed at in Clifton Park merely give us the luggage cart and we have had to do everything ourselves. This was our first time staying here and we will definitely be back. The hotel was clean and fresh and the room was pleasantly the same. The building is a bit older than some of the other area hotels but it has been maintained well over the years and shows very little wear. The rooms were surprisingly big. Most of these newer hotels the rooms seem very cramped but this was not the case here at the Best Western. Everything seemed to have ample space, including the hallways. The breakfast in the morning was also quite excellent; they had a very good variety for a continental breakfast. Fresh fruit and yogurt is not something we have found while staying at other locations. Lastly, the price was just was we were looking for. When we booked the reservation the young lady on the phone gave us the rates and even extended to us a special rate when we asked. It pays to ask! You never know. One of the best experiences we have had at a hotel in a very long time.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank racefansaratoga
NH
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We requested a non smoking room, however the entire lobby and hallway reeked of cigarette smoke- so much so that it seeped into our room. Our bedding had several burn holes in it as well. The room overall was clean enough, but dated in decor. Several large stains in the bathroom ceiling were unnerving, and it took a discussion with the front desk to figure out how the whirlpool tub in our room operated. (The switch to turn it on is across the bathroom next to the sink so one would have to turn it on beforehand or get out of the tub to turn it on.) For us, it was a convenient location and a fair price, but I doubt we will stay there again unless we check it out first to see if anything has changed. There are many other hotels in the vicinity so I would hope they would clean up their act to remain competitive. The complimentary continental breakfast was more than ample with a broad selection.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple