“Nice place but dated”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clymer
Dublin, Ohio
“Nice place but dated”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for a few nights for a wedding held here. As far as the facilities for a wedding it was very good. I thought our food choices were good and there was a well stocked bar. Also thought they had a nice indoor and outdoor pool and a very good fitness center.

The overall rooms we ok and seemed dated. Bathrooms were small, there were no elevators to second floor and just seemed a like it could have been lit better. Restaurants were ok, friendly staff, but food and beverages were a little on the high side. When first turning on the shower there was a little rust colored water but cleared up in a bit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jimmojo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Corte Madera, California
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My girlfriends & I have gone there every summer for ~9 years now. I do agree there was a time that it had gotten run-down and neglected. The new owners have changed all of that- and more! It's clean, well-maintained, and updated. The spa has always been amazing, but even THAT has improved in quality. Live music every Friday and Saturday night and special events PACK the place on weekends. Golf and swimming (indoor AND outdoor) in the summer and skiing in the winter bring in families and many different kinds of folk. Try a weekday if you are looking for a less "happening" experience. The addition of their new adventure course is SURE to beckon more people to discover this gem. Shopping in nearby Findley Lake or a drive through Amish country are also fun things to do in the area. Restaurant and pub put out good food with great service. The updated and upgraded rooms are too notch with many different types of rooms from which to choose. So glad it got the shot in the arm it needed. Give it a try if you have not. If you had a bad experience previously, go back and give them another chance. You will find yourself glad that you did!

• Stayed July 2014
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This will probably end up being really long but personally the more detailed reviews help me more, so here it goes! Our trip to Peek'n Peak was a completely last minute weekend trip for 4th of July weekend. There were pros and cons, but overall we had a great time. There were 4 of us- myself, my mom, my aunt, and her friend. Ladies weekend! We are from Ohio and decided at the last minute that we wanted to get away for the weekend for the 4th of July. We had a few ideas of places closer to home but everything was already booked. Our main goal was basically we wanted a place with a nice outdoor pool so we could spend the weekend swimming and getting some sun... pretty simple. None of us had ever been to Peek'n Peak before but the idea came up so we checked it out. The price was decent split between the 4 of us and they had openings so we took it! It was about a 3 hour drive to get here. We arrived on Friday July 4th around noon and check in wasn't supposed to be until 3. They told us we would be able to still use the pool while we waited to check in so that's what we planned but we were pleasantly surprised when they told us our room was ready! The guy at the front desk was super nice, very friendly! He asked us if we wanted any packages but the only thing we were interested in was mini golf so he gave us 4 passes for free! :) he gave a brief overview of the resort, where stuff was, and told us how to get to our room and where to park. The main lobby was absolutely gorgeous and very clean. Modern yet still has an old charm. Now, I've seen bad reviews on the rooms so here comes the pros & cons. We stayed on the first floor of the main inn/lodge. Upon entering the building it did have kind of a mildew-ish smell, but the rest of the weekend I never smelled it again and we were in and out multiple times. The hallway was very pretty but the floors were loud and creaky just walking on them. We got in the room and were very pleasantly surprised! Based on some of the previous reviews, it's safe to assume that the rooms have been remodeled somewhat recently and they are great. Upon entering the room, we we saw two full beds, tv stand, and a desk. Then in an almost separate room is what I thought was the coolest part. Between the main part of the room and the other room were two chairs and a table in between. In the other part of the room was the sofa which was beautiful, with gorgeous decorative pillows, and two square things to put your feet up on. Next to the sofa is a lamp and a very nice round table. The best part is the mini bar. Very nice, tall counter.. Dark wood with marble-ish counter top. On top is a small lamp, drinking glasses, ice bucket, and coffee pot with coffee and sugar. Down below, the middle section has an open shelf and then 3 very good size drawers. The left side has a microwave on the first shelf and a large opening below. The right side has the largest mini fridge I have ever seen in a hotel room. It was awesome! In this room there was also a tv stand with an open shelf and 3 large drawers. The same tv stand was in the other part of the room as well and both had new, very nice flat screen TV's. The bathroom wasn't huge but I thought it was just perfect. Everything was updated except the tub and wasn't a big deal at all. Since there were 4 of us, we LOVED that there is an also a 2nd mirror and sink outside of the main bathroom. And there was also a long mirror in the room and another mirror above the desk so we all had plenty of room to get ready at the same time. Overall the room was great. Everything was new and updated. The furniture, decorations, paint, crown molding. We even had a door that went outside where there was a nice, quiet shaded area and playground equipment for kids. There were 2 lawn chairs outside our door which would have been great to sit in if they put in some cement patios. Now with all that said.. here are the complaints. The first is that the sofa bed was comparable to sleeping on a wooden board. I volunteered to sleep on it so that I wouldn't have to share a bed with my loudly snoring mother, but I was very disappointed when I pulled out the bed on the first night to find that there is NO mattress to this sofa "bed"... It's nothing more than a pad about an inch and a half thick and due to the fact that it folds up, it is divided into 3 or 4 sections so it's not even a flat surface. All they give you for the bed is a fitted sheet, regular sheet, and wool blanket. No pillows. Luckily between the other two beds, there were 2 extra pillows for me. I dealt with it on the first night but the second night I had to go crawl in bed with my mom because it was just too painful. The room sleeps up to 6 people. They tell you the price does not change whether you have 4 or 6 people and now I understand because I would never pay anything extra to sleep on something like that. I definitely wouldn't recommend it unless you have small kids who wouldn't mind sleeping on it but otherwise, it's basically useless. Next, we noticed a huge cobweb on the ceiling in the corner of the room and then on our last night I looked up and saw the hugest spider I have ever seen in my life. Spiders are my biggest fear so I freaked out. This thing was bigger than a quarter... I would expect to see something like that outside but never inside such a nice room! They really need to spray for bugs or something because that just isn't cool. Next, because of the old style of the buildings, it is very loud. You can hear everything through the walls and floors. I was woken up both nights by constant pounding noises coming from above our room. I could hear footsteps every time someone was walking around or doing anything up there... and the sound of children running up and down the hallways all hours of the night was ridiculous. Next, we had constant issues with our room keys. All 4 of us had keys and only 1 worked right. The rest of us had to stand outside trying over and over and over until it would finally turn green and unlock the door. It took 10 times at one point! Next, there were 4 of us and only enough towels and washcloths for two people. It's a room made for at least 4 people so why would they only put enough towels and washcloths for 2 people!? So right away, we had to ask for more. Then on the second day after the cleaning ladies came, they still only left us enough for 2 again! Also, aside from the guy at the front desk, the staff was very unpleasant in general, especially the cleaning ladies. We would walk by and they would just glare at us and not even crack a smile or even say hello. Ok... Now, the main reason we went was for the pool. The pool was great, but definitely could be better for a place this size. We were lucky to find open seats when we got there at noon on day 1, then on day 2 there were NO open seats by 11am! If you don't get your butt up there early, you won't have a place to sit. People had to just put their towels down on the ground because there were no chairs left. On Friday there was a DJ who played awesome and current music and made it a really enjoyable experience! He was younger. On Saturday there was another DJ but he was an old guy and was only playing oldies so it wasn't that great for me. Both the indoor and outdoor pools are heated which is wonderful because you never have to struggle to get in cold water. The pool furniture was nice because they have a variety of chairs and they also have umbrellas which came in handy because I got totally sunburnt on Friday and needed to be in the shade Saturday. Overall it was great but I will say this... If you are an adult looking for total relaxation this may not be for you. There were TONS of kids everywhere. I think their pool is open to the public, so that's probably why. I didn't think it would be a problem because the water slide and kiddie area are roped off and at one end of the pool and then the other end is 5ft. However, most of the kids were down in that area where the adults were trying to relax. My mom wears hearing aids that can't get wet and there were kids constantly running into us, hitting us with their noodles and other pool toys, and splashing with no consideration and next to no adult supervision. Most kids came with their moms who laid out in the sun and didn't even supervise them. Even the hot tub was invaded by kids splashing and running into the adults. It didn't bother me a whole lot (I'm a teacher) but it did get to me after a while when I was getting kicked and splashed and the kids' parents were no where to be found. There is an outdoor pool bar where you can get drinks and also order food. But it is ridiculously over priced! We ordered two alcoholic drinks and it cost $15 and there was hardly any alcohol at all. My aunt ordered a hot dog and fries and it was $10. They don't allow you to bring in ANY outside food or drink, and you WILL get yelled at if you do and they see it! I also really hated their whole process of having to sign in every day. When you check in the hotel, they give you a green card with your name, room number and check out date that you have to show every day, get a new wrist band that you have to wear to enter, and you have to sign in on a sheet. I think they could make it a lot easier by just giving all resort guests a wrist band at check in that works the whole time you're there. Then outside guests could get different colored wrist bands. They have towels which are about the size of a hand towel. It was big enough to cover my feet and the bottoms of my legs. So definitely bring your own towel! As for the rest of the resort, we were only there for the weekend so we didn't really get a chance to explore very much. The breakfast was very good. There is a pub in the main lodge but we never ate there because we looked at a menu and it was way overpriced. We were told by the guy at the front desk that there was also an Italian restaurant in the building next door called the Sugar Shack. We went there on the 2nd night for dinner and it was completely closed and looked like it hadn't been open in a while. We walked to the back where people go to sign up for adventures (zip lining, segways, etc.) and asked the lady at the counter what time the restaurant opened. She shrugged and said "It doesn't." So why would they even tell us about it then? Anyways... the two golf courses looked really nice, and the one across from the main lodge also had a place to eat. Unless you are willing to drive 15-20+ minutes to go eat somewhere else, you are kind of stuck eating at the restaurants at the resort. Friday night we drove to Chautauqua Lake and ate at The Italian Fisherman for dinner and watched fireworks over the lake. Saturday for lunch, we drove down the road to Findley Lake and ate at The Blue Heron Inn. There is one other place to eat right there in town called Z's On The Lake. Then Saturday night for dinner, we drove off the peak to a pizza place in the middle of nowhere called Vinny's. We also stopped one night at Addie's Ice Cream on Findley Lake.. they have 40 flavors of home made ice cream and it was awesome. Vinny's and the two places at Findley Lake are the closest places to eat off the resort. If you're an adventurous person you would love this place. They have adventure courses, segway tours, ziplining and more. We did 18 holes of miniature golf at Peek'n Putt and loved it! Great course, so much fun. I think that just about covers everything! Overall we had an amazing time and wish we could have stayed longer! We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The building is stunning and grand. The staff was helpful upon check in and throughout our stay. One of the front desk ladies went beyond to assist with a coffee crisis I was having. The rooms were very clean and cared for. We ate at the pub and the food prices were a good value and tasted very good. They had a nice selection of beers and wines. There are many activity options for everyone. This is a great place to stay all year round.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr Mrs R
Rochester
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

So disappointed. Upon arriving and checking in the front desk employee was super nice. Got in the room and there was urine all over the toilet. Gross!

Also found a dead moth in the middle of the carpet on the main floor. We are staying in the Tiffany suite and to be honest I think it isn't worth me than $75 per night. Way over prices at $360 per night.

They need to hire someone just to keep common areas clean. The glass door to the pool area was slimy gross and hadn't seen window cleaner in quite some time. The ceilings in lobby were dirty. Just a run down dirty place. Beware...the remodeled Tiffany suite is comparable to a Motel 6 room.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Jeffrey D
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My Mother was turning 80 and my Family decided a surprise birthday weekend with Mom would be the ideal thing to do for a great lady turning 80. I have 2 Brothers and 1 Sister and between spouses and children ( Adult kids and not so Adult kids ) there would be 28 of us celebrating.

We rented one of the Ski Homes on the Mountain golf course. This palace had 7 Bedrooms
( Kings, Queens, Doubles, Sofa's, ) plus, 5 bathrooms which equated to 5,500 square feet of fun,

Our weekend began Friday at 5pm and we checked out at Sunday at 11am. They entire time was spent enjoying this home with a 50 foot deck overlooking the golf course, 2 Jacuzzi Tubs, an out door grill that was constantly cooking hot dogs-hamburgers-brats and a basement flat of 2 bedrooms, a pool table, 2 bathrooms and a wet bar. The basement area opened to the back yard which sloped to the golf course. There was plenty of space between the house and the course for playing corn hole, watching golfers putting and feeling the continual breeze,

The condition of the house was immaculate. The house perched on top of the Skiing Mountain gave all of us incredible views during the day and a wonderful canepy of stars at night.. A fully furnished kitchen and plenty of bedding and bathroom towels.

The attached garage held two full size refrigerators and there was a small ( for beer I assume) refrigerator in the basement wet bar area.

Considering it was the end of June the air conditioning worked like a champ.We laughed, We cried, We ate and ate, We drank a little bit, we toasted Mom/Grandma/Great Grandma and we did what many families don't do or cant' do, we spent 3 days huddled together living old times and hopefully showing our Kids how a strong family bond is constructed.

This was and is a great spot.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank EagleDice L
Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Simply put the rooms are horrible at best. Vintage late 1960's, cheap construction, rooms are noisy, lousy insulation between rooms so you can hear the folks next to you; rooms all smell moldy and musty; bath room is tiney; hallways creak with each step. This place makes motel-6 look and feel like the Ritz. The setting is spectacular, beautiful golf courses, good restaurants, and the outside facade is classic tutor, but the rooms are bad, very bad; )-:

Room Tip: Don't stay in the main lodge, rooms are horrible, get one of the chalets or condos