“Misleading Description- Terrible Experience”

Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cohoes
Denver, Colorado
“Misleading Description- Terrible Experience”
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I booked this room through Expedia based solely on the description and the rate. It stated that it was 5 miles from the airport, offered a free airport shuttle and complimentary breakfast in the morning. Since the rate was under $60, I booked it immediately.
I was stuck at the airport and called the hotel to have the shuttle come get me. I was told that the shuttle only runs from 8am-5pm (it was 7:15pm when I called) and that I'd have to take a cab. I told the representative that I'd like to cancel the reservation in that case, since I booked it mostly because of the shuttle. I was then told I couldn't cancel because I booked through Expedia and I was going to get charged no matter what. I had no choice but to keep the room.
After a $20 cab ride, I arrived at the hotel and asked for a cab to be called for me in the morning. I was then told all about the free breakfast, but then it was explained the breakfast wasn't served until after I left. Then why tell me?
But the best part was the cab ride that next morning. Apprently Albany has some kind of cab company called "Rude Cab Company" that is supposed to be a novelty. This was the company they called to pick me up at 5am. And the name says it all. The driver did not open the door or offer to help with my luggage. He payed loud, obnoxious music the whole time, and there was no meter in the vehicle. He simply pulled up to the curb and said "Twenty dollars."
So I spent $40 on cab rides to a hotel that charged me less than $60 for the room. I can't believe that a hotel would think it was good customer service to use a transportation compnay called "Rude Cab Company, " and it blows me away that they can advertise something they don't always offer.
I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone- unless you like spending a lot of money to be treated poorly.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Rome, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2011

This Hampton Inn has converted to a Stay Inn. The room and hotel are as you would expect. There is nothing fancy or exceptional about the hotel or room. The room was "normal"-sized and clean. The bathroom was in good shape. For my one-night stay this was a very good value.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Rutland, Vermont
Reviewed 1 January 2011

First time at this hotel. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. And a bargain!! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Dirty room and much smaller than average Hampton room. Dripping faucet in bathroom. Front desk staff excellent. Can't believe this has always been a Hampton Inn. I suppose it's possible that Hilton purchased it from the NY Department of Corrections...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I've stayed here before. I would stay here again. While owned by the same company, this is not going to be a five star experience; It's a Hampton Inn, not a Hilton Hotel. I was here on business so, except for breakfast, I did little here beyond sleep. The pool and the opporunity to walk were tempting but I didn't have time for it. The pool hours are much too short (10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.) when I had to be out the door by 8:30 every morning and didn't make it back until 9:00 or later. The breakfast had options I liked. I was happy with the fresh fruit, yogurt, and coffee. The waffles seemed nice, the eggs looks good, and cereal is predictable. True, I could have been sleeping in Ann Arbor, Michigan because they all look alike but I can't complain.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Mishawaka, Indiana
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Terrible experience. Staff was nice enough, but the hotel was old, and the carpets quite dirty.
My biggest gripe, though, was with the 800 operator for Hampton Inn. We had to call from the road... Highway construction on I-95 and 295 near Portland, ME and then Boston rush-hour traffic on I-495 put us SEVEN HOURS off schedule. When the operator picked up the phone, it sounded like a party going on... people laughing, yelling, etc. I almost hung up, the she answered. We had a very confusing conversation, as I asked her to find me anything in the Hilton group along I-90 near Albany. I told her repeatedly that I did not want to have to go into a strange city and risk getting lost late at night. She described This hotel, and twice I said no, that I needed something on the interstate. Finally I let her book it. And we DID get lost... ended up driving through a very scary section of the city.
We got to the hotel after a grueling 16 hour drive, and though it was not what you'd expect from Hilton for the price, we were too exhausted to complain.
BTW- They give you an ethernet cord to access internet, but the ones in the room didn't work...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
new england
Reviewed 5 August 2010

When booking I asked about a handicap accessible room for my friend which was a prerequisite for our stay. I was told that the room was totally handicapped. Well, they were correct about that HOWEVER, they failed to mention that all the furniture had to be removed from the room in order to fit a motorized wheelchair! His wife couldn't sit in the room. The room was the size of a large closet! I'm sure it didn't meet ADA standards. The doorways were widened and a roll in shower in the bathroom but nothing else. Horrible conditions. PLUS, the air conditioner didn't work. Maintainance said they could put in a new AC and we could return to the room later. Where could my friend, who needed to nap badly, go? Unbelievable!! Didn't someone check this out? Apparantly NOT! The entire hotel smelled musty plus the carpeting is filthy!! Not where I'd put my head on a pillow. The front desk staff was very nice and understanding when we said we couldn't stay there. However, the manager, Holly, gave me a hard time about a refund. She said she'd refund our $$$ IF she could sell the rooms. I had booked 4 rooms. They were all teeny, smelled musty and floors dirty. There was no way my friend could have stayed in the handicap room with his breathing problems. I did call later that evening and was told they had sold all the rooms so we didn't have to worry about being charged for a dump. The only redeeming quality was Francis, maintainance man who was extremely helpful and empathetic to our plight. And Alysson at the front desk who was accomodating in helping us find another hotel. Other than that it was a horrible and negative experience. Would NOT recommend!!
We left and went to the Holiday Inn Express down the road and it was AWESOME!! Totally different experience. ( see my review under Holiday Inn Express). Now THAT hotel is work the price! Large, clean, new and AWESOME staff!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank contessa1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cohoes
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center

Been to Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North? Share your experiences!