“Unacceptably poor”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cohoes
Bangor, Maine
“Unacceptably poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

Dirty room and much smaller than average Hampton room. Dripping faucet in bathroom. Front desk staff excellent. Can't believe this has always been a Hampton Inn. I suppose it's possible that Hilton purchased it from the NY Department of Corrections...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

I've stayed here before. I would stay here again. While owned by the same company, this is not going to be a five star experience; It's a Hampton Inn, not a Hilton Hotel. I was here on business so, except for breakfast, I did little here beyond sleep. The pool and the opporunity to walk were tempting but I didn't have time for it. The pool hours are much too short (10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.) when I had to be out the door by 8:30 every morning and didn't make it back until 9:00 or later. The breakfast had options I liked. I was happy with the fresh fruit, yogurt, and coffee. The waffles seemed nice, the eggs looks good, and cereal is predictable. True, I could have been sleeping in Ann Arbor, Michigan because they all look alike but I can't complain.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Mishawaka, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

Terrible experience. Staff was nice enough, but the hotel was old, and the carpets quite dirty.
My biggest gripe, though, was with the 800 operator for Hampton Inn. We had to call from the road... Highway construction on I-95 and 295 near Portland, ME and then Boston rush-hour traffic on I-495 put us SEVEN HOURS off schedule. When the operator picked up the phone, it sounded like a party going on... people laughing, yelling, etc. I almost hung up, the she answered. We had a very confusing conversation, as I asked her to find me anything in the Hilton group along I-90 near Albany. I told her repeatedly that I did not want to have to go into a strange city and risk getting lost late at night. She described This hotel, and twice I said no, that I needed something on the interstate. Finally I let her book it. And we DID get lost... ended up driving through a very scary section of the city.
We got to the hotel after a grueling 16 hour drive, and though it was not what you'd expect from Hilton for the price, we were too exhausted to complain.
BTW- They give you an ethernet cord to access internet, but the ones in the room didn't work...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
new england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

When booking I asked about a handicap accessible room for my friend which was a prerequisite for our stay. I was told that the room was totally handicapped. Well, they were correct about that HOWEVER, they failed to mention that all the furniture had to be removed from the room in order to fit a motorized wheelchair! His wife couldn't sit in the room. The room was the size of a large closet! I'm sure it didn't meet ADA standards. The doorways were widened and a roll in shower in the bathroom but nothing else. Horrible conditions. PLUS, the air conditioner didn't work. Maintainance said they could put in a new AC and we could return to the room later. Where could my friend, who needed to nap badly, go? Unbelievable!! Didn't someone check this out? Apparantly NOT! The entire hotel smelled musty plus the carpeting is filthy!! Not where I'd put my head on a pillow. The front desk staff was very nice and understanding when we said we couldn't stay there. However, the manager, Holly, gave me a hard time about a refund. She said she'd refund our $$$ IF she could sell the rooms. I had booked 4 rooms. They were all teeny, smelled musty and floors dirty. There was no way my friend could have stayed in the handicap room with his breathing problems. I did call later that evening and was told they had sold all the rooms so we didn't have to worry about being charged for a dump. The only redeeming quality was Francis, maintainance man who was extremely helpful and empathetic to our plight. And Alysson at the front desk who was accomodating in helping us find another hotel. Other than that it was a horrible and negative experience. Would NOT recommend!!
We left and went to the Holiday Inn Express down the road and it was AWESOME!! Totally different experience. ( see my review under Holiday Inn Express). Now THAT hotel is work the price! Large, clean, new and AWESOME staff!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

The guy on staff when I checked in was wonderful. The problem was that the hotel was full and they did not design it to accommodate non-smokers in all non-smoking rooms. They have smoking rooms abutting and across from non-smoking rooms, no air circulation, and smoke was pouring into my room. After walking through a smoke-filled hallway, I went into my room and still smelled it. I gave it a little time, thinking it was just from walking in from the hallway. It continued to get worse so I called down to request a room change. They indicated that the hotel was full and so they had nowhere else to put me. I was coughing and couldn't sleep much that night. I complained the next morning, right in front of their sign that guaranteed satisfaction or the stay was free. They said they couldn't help me because I got the room through priceline and therefore they couldn't refund my money. I asked about the guarantee I was standing right in front of. Somehow, it made sense to this girl that, because I went through priceline, it was some sort of different situation. No manager on duty. I did eventually get a certificate good for a free Hampton Inn room from their headquarters, but even that took multiple phone calls and a month. If this hotel wants to avoid ratings like this, they can put in a door between their smoking section and their non-smoking section, they could install air circulation vents to get rid of the smoke from the non-smoking room areas, or they could have smoking rooms on a different floor from non-smoking rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

I selected this hotel because of its proximity to RPI. It is an easy 10 minute drive to the college. The check in was prompt and efficient. The desk clerk was able to provide detailed information on surrounding restaurants. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. I did not use any of the facilities such as the pool or gym. One big complaint was that the shower had virtually no pressure. This may be unique to that room since I don’t see anyone else complaining about it. The breakfast in the morning was decent. However, it would have been better if the breakfast area was attended. The fruit salad was gone when I arrived at 7:30AM and still had not been replenished at my departure 40 minutes later. The Red Robin hamburger joint located a few minutes from the hotel serves good burgers at a reasonable price. Overall, if you can get a decent rate this hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MartinAB
Nashua, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

This property seems to be well maintained, not sure what previous negative reviews were about. This property is not wireless but free highspeed ethernet in room.
bathrooms are a bit small with little counter space. When traveling with a family it is cramped. Stayed only one night while touring RPI. Ate at a good diner down the road. Front desk had a list of nearby resturants that ran from fast food chains to higher end local establishments to great local diner. Easy to get to RPI and cheaper than staying closer. Staff was friendly and helpful. Free breakfast had some hot items but was pretty average as far as they go, was good enough.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank roadrunner000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cohoes
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Microtel Inn by Wyndham Albany Airport
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport

Been to Comfort Inn Latham/Albany North? Share your experiences!