“Hit and miss”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Went here using a groupon voucher, house wine wasn't great, neither was the curry although my partners steak was well cooked.
The restaurant itself was freezing, it had just opened but seriously!.... We needed to keep our coats on while eating. Good value for money though.

1  Thank nuala2

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My husband children and i went to the big house for lunch a few weeks ago, on first impressions you think your walking into a run down cafe on its last legs.... Once being seated at our table we where given a menu that could please everyone (even the fussiest of eaters like myself) the food was of very high standard, hot and plenty of it. And the price is very reasonable too. Its ashame about the decor inside too, but given the quality of the food my family will be back for sure.

1  Thank Rgwa
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband attended for lunch using a groupon deal my son had given to us. We had previously dined here before and did not have a good experience however we give this a go again. This time we were not dissappointed. Our food was very tasty and cooked to perfection. Service was great also. The lady could not do enough for us. Although we came here on a steak dinner deal we could chose anything from the menu and everything was very reasonably priced. We will definitely b returning again!

Reviewed 6 February 2014

My wife and I had booked a Groupon deal with the Big House - two steak dinners with a glass of wine each for the princely sum of £16.
Great value and this was underlined when we redeemed the voucher. We had booked for 6.30 p.m., but did not arrive until 6.45 p.m. Apologies were readily accepted by a friendly member of staff who quickly found a table and invited us to peruse the menu and pick anything we wanted.
We stuck to the steak and what a treat lay in store. Cooked just the way we wanted with generous garnish and side orders, the meal was excellent and at £16 was superb value.
Nothing was too much trouble for the waitress who looked after our every needs.
I hope the Big House repeat the offer and if they do we'll be first in line to take advantage of it.
The venue isn't the most attractive from the outside and from what I can gather has changed hands a few times, but that doesn't detract from the excellent food served and the fairly comfortable surroundings.
The restaurant was warm and you have to nit-pick to find a fault.
Before writing this review I read what others had to say - not to influence my opinion but out of curiosity. Any criticism seemed petty and a touch unfair, in my opinion, to a business that as a result of putting on a decent offer is trying to stimulate future trade.
I will certainly be recommending the Big House to others and they can be assured of my support in the future.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We visited The Big House a couple of Sundays ago and were delighted with what we found. Service staff were very pleasant and efficient. The menu was extensive and reasonably priced. Portions were generous and the food was superb. This restaurant is on the way to the North Coast and has been open and closed a few times.
On Merit It fully deserves the support of the public. Go along and give yourself a treat. We will certainly be back.
We had a Living Social voucher on this occasion and unlike some other offerings we had the pick of the main menu.