“a look at the past”
Review of Bannerman Castle

Bannerman Castle
Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in Cold Spring
Reviewed 30 November 2013

been wanting to see this place for 8 years- the river trip was informative and the guide knew his stuff -wish I'd been there before all the crumbling but happy to have gotten there- is definite must see

3  Thank carol r

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We went on a Sunday afternoon, out of Beacon. It was very interesting and the gardens are lovely. We enjoyed the trip. A lot of walking (including up stairs) and it is NOT a place for young kids and strollers.

4  Thank kjcmom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed this trip from the moment we left the dock in Newburgh. All of the staff were friendly and very well informed about the history of this castle. I have lived in the Hudson Valley my entire life and never knew anything about it. If you want to visit you should go soon as it is unfortunately falling down.

4  Thank Chris A
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I have seen it from a boat in the river. I'd be curious to take the tour
to visit this place and find out more about the man who built this
place.

2  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I was so surprised when my train rode past Bannerman Castle for the first time.. it was a freakin' castle after all. I was so intrigued and had to go.

My boyfriend purchased tickets in October online. We had tried to go before, but they had an issue with low tide and the boats getting stuck.

While on the ferry to the island from Beacon train station, they tell you a bit of the history of Bannerman Castle. This is the part where all my excitement deflated. Although I really enjoyed history in school and still enjoy a good lesson, all the mystery from the castle was gone. The story and cartoon shown to depict it's history was so fluffy and fake that it just put me to sleep. The actual story behind the castle was interesting, but still lacked the allure I expected.

When we arrived on the island, we were not allowed to do much else than walk in a line and the guides basically repeated the same story.

I guess things seemed worse because it was cold and miserable that day.

My advice, stay home and read up on it.

7  Thank Marilyn D