“Some great insights into the whaling days of Cold Spring Harbor”

Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the history of whaling, the importance of whale conservation, and Long Island maritime history at The Whaling Museum. See an authentic 19th C whaleboat, learn how scrimshaw was made, and touch real whale bones. Enjoy special programs, craft workshops, lectures, and films.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a great little museum in Cold Spring Harbor that provides fascinating insights into the village's early days as a whaling center. It might be a bit small for an excellent rating, but without giving too much away, I can report that it offers at least one big surprise about the whaling crews, and many interesting insights into whales, their physical make-up and their misfortunes during the peak of the whaling industry.

All reviews
"documents"
"film"
"bedford"

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have a passion for whales, the gentle giants of our oceans, which is the reason why I adopted a whale from the Pacific Whale Foundation. I also have an adventure/fiction book called "Whale Island and the Mysterious Bones" for children, age eight to 12 years-old. So, I am always on quests to learn more about these beautiful marine creatures.
I recently had the opportunity to visit the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum and found it chock full of interesting historical facts and memorabilia about whales, the whaling industry, scrimshaw, whaling boats, and so much more! The museum is small and quaint but every nook and cranny was chock full of interesting facts and artifacts about all types of whales.
I went to the museum on a holiday week, so there were families there with children, as well as children's programs and activities which the children were enjoying.
I would recommend this museum to anyone who loves history and marine animals. Oh, and the town of Cold Spring Harbor is charming with lots of interesting stores in which to browse and very good restaurants!

Reviewed 1 April 2013

I took my four sons here and it was the perfect activity for all ages. The scavenger hunt is the perfect way to engage their minds and bodies. We loved it!

Reviewed 15 February 2013

I love the maritime history of long Island. I am a lifetime LI girl. See whaling boats,pictures, whaling tools, scrimshaw and more. This is a worthwhile visit. The ride to get there is pretty too!

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stopped at this small museum on a drive around Long Island. We learned a lot from the main exhibits, which were extremely interesting. The exhibit about shipwrecks (which may be a temporary exhibit) had a lot of potential but would have been much better if it had more signage and explanatory information. There was a children's birthday party on the day we visited, so it was a bit chaotic with lots of kids running around and food tables set up in the midst of the shipwreck exhibit. There didn't appear to be a parking lot, so we parked on the street, which was a bit crowded with all the people parked there for the birthday party.