The Harbor Rose
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 June 2013

staying in this house is always an excellent experience. Nice and cosy. Clean bathroom. Waterbed. Just fantastic. I stayed there for the 3rd time during some business trips in Farmingdale. And I really felt like coming home in the evening. Feels like one is always welcome here.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheHarborRose, Owner at The Harbor Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Hi Siegried, we are always happy to have you as one of our returning guests. We look forward to having you visit us again, and please, always feel free to think of this as your home away from home.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Harbor Rose this past May while we were in town reconnecting with some friends. The home is beautiful, a historic jewel set into the hillside in Cold Spring Harbor. The Victorian room, which is where we stayed, had a lovely view of the harbor from the window and the outdoor porch at the end of the hall was very pleasant. There is free WiFi in every room and a desk where you can conduct business from if necessary. Diedra graciously gave us a tour of all the rooms, and they were very lovely. Although the Inn doesn’t serve food, there is always fresh organic fruit and an assortment of teas and coffee on hand. The gardens around the house were very pretty too. The town of Cold Spring Harbor, a couple of minutes east on 25A, has some very interesting shops and great restaurants. It’s also ten minutes to Huntington, which is a great small town, lots of shopping and restaurants. If you go a little further east on 25A you come to Centerport, home of the famous Vanderbilt Museum and 10 minutes more is historic Northport, lots of good shopping there. We want to thank you Dierdra for your hospitality and a short but sweet stay.

Room Tip: Third floor room was very large and cozy, I would like to try it next time.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marietta A
TheHarborRose, Owner at The Harbor Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Hi Marietta, we are so glad you and your husband enjoyed your short but sweet stay at The Harbor Rose. We love the view of the harbor from our home. The third floor room is our Parlor Suite and we surely would love to have you stay there the next time you visit. Thank you for being such a wonderful guest.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I needed to get away from the noise of NYC as construction is going on next to my building. I took the LIRR out to Cold Spring Harbor (a fairly quick trip, about and hour and a half) and Deirdre was kind enough to be waiting at the station in her car. The inn is about a mile up the road, but no sidewalks so I was happy for the lift. The inn is situated on the main road, with the view of the water across the way. There is some traffic noise, but it quickly becomes background to the birdsong and rustle of leaves in the trees. I was in the Victorian room, which was very comfortable, with a water bed! (fabulous sleep) and a little settee where one can sit and read. I didn't use the fireplace, but it is there. Lighting good. Central A.C. Fresh water, wine, organic fruit, nuts etc. for hungry moments. No breakfast is served. There is a deli within walking distance towards town, where sidewalks soon appear in that direction. And Deirdre provides a fridge for guests' use, so I was able to put in sandwiches etc. The town itself, about a mile away, is charming. Excellent bakery and nice shops. There is a restaurant nearby that gives a discount to Harbor Rose guests. I chose this for perhaps eccentric reasons as I wanted to do some hiking. There is a trail that runs behind the inn. Quite challenging, but just what I wanted. I also got some good photographs of the water birds across the way. The next day was heavy rain so I just sat on the upstairs porch/balcony area and read and listened to the sound of the rain. This is a welcoming place ... nice decor, very very clean, smiles from the innkeeper. She was kind enough to drive me back to the train station, too. What is not to like?

Room Tip: At the top of the house there is a private suite area. Looks nice. Will try it next time.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Ardythe, we quite agree, the quiet peacefulness here is a wonderful respite from the hustle, bustle, and noise of NYC. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the hiking trail behind The Harbor Rose. Many of our guests enjoy hiking that trail during the spring through fall seasons. The third floor room is our Parlor Suite and we would love to have you as a guest again, so you can try that room during your next visit.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

I loved this B+B for my girls getaway weekend. Highlights: the house was beautiful, with wood floors, crackling fireplace, cozy bed, great views, even a piano that we were welcome to use. I felt at home... if my home was a luxurious historical house:) The nearby town of Huntington was also charming. Highlights: the olive oil, vinegar and cheese shop, scrumptious muffins at Wild Flours Bakeshop (also gluten-free!), and the delicious (and inexpensive) salads and spinach pies at the Mediterranean Snack Bar. Deirdre the innkeeper was very gracious, and she even went out of her way to give us a tour of the town after picking us up from the train station.

I would recommend either bringing or renting a car because the taxi services of the town were a little bit difficult and pricey (about $15 to go about a mile).

I will definitely be recommending Harbor House to friends and family, and I plan to return again (hopefully in the near future!). There is so much more relaxing, eating, and exploring to do!

Thanks Deirdre for your kind hospitality!!

Room Tip: If you prefer to have a private bathroom, be sure to ask which rooms have them and which do not.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
TheHarborRose, Owner at The Harbor Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Hi Jbrafa, we are so happy your girls’ getaway weekend was a success. We look forward to having you at The Harbor Rose again for another weekend getaway. Autumn may be a great time to visit when the leaves are at full color. It’s an absolutely beautiful time of the year here.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

From the moment I stepped through the door I knew I was in for a relaxing comfortable experience. I was in town for a gathering of friends in February of 2013 to celebrate the life of one departed too soon. I was taken to the Victorian room and was pleasantly surprised at the size and elegance of it. I am a big guy and could ask to be no more comfortable, both sleeping and relaxing. When you stay there you get more than just a room, you take a step back in time and experience a truly happy and unique stay at an Historic home dating back to the 1800's but with all the conveniences of our 21st century. Free WI-FI, Local and long US long distance calling as well. Of course there is TV and not to mention the use of several common areas including a beautiful living room with a warm fire. Fresh organic fruit and an assortment of teas, coffee and cocoa are available 24/7. This is no doubt one of the most beautiful areas on LI not to mention all the wonderful local shops and attractions. Deirdre and her staff made my stay so much more of a pleasant stay than I could ever had hoped for. I will return, and recommend this place to anyone that needs a place to stay fora night or longer. You will feel the same.

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique, however the Victorian was spacious with a fireplace and a beautiful view o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richard G

Hi Richard, we are so glad you enjoyed your time here, especially at a time to celebrate the life of a departed one that was close to you and your friends. We receive so many wonderful comments on the Victorian room for the size and the view from the room. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

When I arrived in Long Island in November, it was during the time right after Hurricane Sandy. There were no hotel rooms available. No rooms of any kind to be found...anywhere. Most of New Jersey had been evacuated due to power-failure and damage from the hurricane and the noreaster that followed shortly thereafter. And most of Long Island was still without power, including the Cold Spring Harbor area. By the grace of God, I stumbled upon the Harbor House; and I have to say, in all my travels, I have never felt more at home than I did while staying there. Working as an insurance adjuster and being 1400 miles away from home is extremely difficult......particularly during the holidays; and even more so when you have young children back home that are telling you every day how much they miss you. But thanks to Deidra and her amazing staff, I made it through this difficult time and alot of New Yorkers benefited from my being here...in the right frame of mind. The location is ideal. An hour from Manhattan, 30 minutes from JFK. If you like to shop, there are hundreds of shops to brouse on main street. The area is very historical and everyone in Cold Springs Harbor can fill you in...all you need to do is say hi to someone and tell them you are from out of town. Then theres the food! You name it, it's near by. Oh, and I am definiyely coming back during the Spring to play golf!!! Mark it in the books now Deidra!!! Thank you again for being an amazing host! You have a special place in my heart and I will be forever in your debt. Reagan

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Reagan K

Hi Reagan, thank you for your comments. You are right, Hurricane Sandy was definitely a hardship for our community and then to be hit right after with the blizzard. We are happy to hear that we could be your home away from home during this difficult period of time. You and your golf bag are welcome at The Harbor Rose at any time!

Reviewed 7 November 2012

I called Diedre, the owner, on a Tuesday to book a room at the Harbor House for the weekend. She confirmed she had two rooms available (we only needed one). She wouldn't take my credit card info to confirm the reservation, though, because she was "too tired" from her day job. She said she would call me back later in the evening to obtain the information, but never did. She called me the next morning, again confirmed that there were two rooms available, but again wouldn't take my information because she had a "conference call" she had to join (not sure why she called me if she had to immediately get off the phone).I got my next call later in the day; she told me then that someone else had called and had offered to pay her cash in advance for the room she said was available for us. While I said I would be glad to place a non-refundable deposit on my credit card, I really couldn't get cash to her because I live 250 miles away.She said she wanted to "noodle things over" before deciding what to do. She said she would call me back in an hour, but did not. On Wednesday evening, she left a voice message (didn't speak to me directly - class move) saying she no longer had rooms for the weekend. When I called her back, she said that "she really didn't trust people from out of town" because "lots of times they don't show up." So, travelers, unless you live a short distance from Cold Spring Harbor, and can pay cash in advance, your room may well be given away before you get there.

She also asked me, each time we spoke, what the specific purpose of our visit to Long Island was - as if it was any of her business. I told her nevertheless; it was to visit an ailing relative. When she asked - for the third time, on the third call - what my "specific purpose" was, I asked her why that was so important to her. She told me that she wanted to know because it would help her to decide whether to invite a guest to stay in her home. So, fellow travelers, if for some reason you still want to stay here, better come up with something better than "ailing relative." And if you do come up with a reason that she approves of, it still might not be a bad idea to have a back-up reservation somewhere else - you never know when someone might get there before you with a fistful of cash.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank W C

We thank you for your response and feedback on your experience, unfortunately this reservation attempt occurred during Hurricane Sandy and the blizzard that followed a few days later. Gratefully, our property did not sustain any material damage from Sandy, although we were operating “in a state of potential emergency” with limited electric services supplied by our emergency generator.

At the time, we were hosting hurricane victims and Emergency Response Storm workers. We were operating with limited on-site resources and did our best to support those assisting our community. Many of these Emergency Response workers were sleeping in their trucks, as they were turned away from shelters. None of us knew when utility services would return to normal or when the roads would be cleared of fallen trees, or when the five-hour gas lines would subside. Then we had to prepare for the blizzard that was on its way.

We apologize for this lack of potential guest service during this time of community crisis.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cold Spring Harbor
Chalet Inn & Suites
Chalet Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Centerport
Hilton Garden Inn Melville

Been to The Harbor Rose? Share your experiences!