“From Best to Good” 3 of 5 bubbles

Camayan Beach Resort and Hotel
manila
“From Best to Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Camayan a number of times and always enjoyed the place. Only thing I noticed now are 2 things which will make me think twice about returning.

1. Food is not that good anymore. Ordering at the Reef used to be the highlight of my stay, but not anymore. Food is less tasty and is near being bland.

2. Check out time - Not sure why the hotel started to drop a note early in the day to advise you to check out on time. Reception will call you numerous timea before 12nn to remind you to check out on time, and will tell you that a penalty if 1000 pesos will be charged for every hour extension. Look Camayan, am neither deaf or stupid to not understand the concept of check out time, so please stop bugging me!

Anyway, still worthwhile to visit the place if Lighthouse is fully booked, but this place is defintely no longer my top of mind choice.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank ilovehongkong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Indonesian first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Summer vacation has started.
Camayan has the best beach nearest to Manila, better than Batangas beaches.
We consider Camayan as our 2nd home, as we used to visit this resort twice to thrice a year.
Clean beach, clean rooms, beatiful views, everything we need to recharge from stressful life.
We're going back again before summer vacation will end, and thats for sure.

Room Tip: Choose sunset view or beach view rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank apu19
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I celebrated my birthday here in Camayan. The view's spectacular especially if it's a sunny day. The resort's got a wide beach area. The thing I liked the most here is the staff in the restaurant. They're super friendly and they even greeted me a happy birthday. My dad loved the food.

I loved walking along the beach both at night and during the day. It's peaceful even if they're loaded with guests. Beach's suitable for swimming and the water's clear. I didn't see any jellyfish although they have a warning sign for jellyfish in the area.

Our room's awesome. We took the deluxe one. They honor the senior citizen's card so my dad got a 20% discount for it. The place they got for us was quiet.

I enjoyed every bit of my stay in Camayan. If I go to Subic, I would definitely choose this place. They don't only offer tranquility but adventure as well. You can rent kayaks, go trekking/scuba diving etc.

I only wish the receptionists were friendlier. Most of them didn't really smile a lot.

Room Tip: Only the standard rooms are situated near the beach. Choose the deluxe room. It's spacious!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank RoxRocksYeah
Angeles City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Had not for the red ants that attacked our snack about an hour after we checked in at the second floor deluxe room and the squeaky bed near the balcony, I would have rated Camayan Beach Resort and Hotel with 5 stars.

It's not our first time at the resort, we've been going to the place once or twice per year since several years ago, even when the Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway was still being constructed and the route towards Subic was via San Fernando, Lubao, Bataan and TIPO road. But we usually just stay a few hours there swimming and eating at the restaurant then spend the night in a villa along Binictican or El Kabayo roads which can accommodate more people and where you can cook your own meal.

Last March 13, however, only my better half and I went to Camayan and checked in as walk-in guests. We did not make reservation.

We arrived in the resort at past noontime, after we took our lunch at a fastfood establishment near a duty-free shop. After paying the P4,950 room for a deluxe room and the required P1,000 refundable security deposit, I asked the friendly front desk clerk if it was okay if they could let us proceed to our room, as there were many rooms available that day. The clerk politely said that it's the hotel's policy to allow guest to check in at 2:00 p.m. and if we want an early check-in, we have to pay additional P1,000. "Ah, okay, no problem. We'll just wait," I responded.

The clerk then told me that we can stay in the admission lobby. I said thanks.

While waiting for 2:00 p.m., I turned my netbook on to check my google and yahoo inboxes and send an email. I was able to connect to the WiFi signal of the adjacent hotel building but the signal was weak. The WiFi signal from the front desk's router was strong but it's password protected and for employees' use only.

We transferred to the lounge chairs with coffee table in front of the office in a bid to get stronger signal. But webpages still won't open. "Damn," I told myself, "desk (work) is waiting for my report and I could not send it due to poor WiFi signal." But there was nothing that I could do. Hotel policy is hotel policy and it was improper for me to beg the staff to break it or make an exemption in our favor. So I just sat there, waiting until they let us in our room where, hopefully, the signal would be better.

At 1:10 p.m., the front desk clerk approached us and handed me the card key. "Ah, you mean we can go to our room now?," I asked the clerk. "Yes, sir," he said. "Thank you, thank you," I said.

So we proceeded to Room 3220 and I was able to send email.

After turning my netbook off, I sat and lied down on the bed near the veranda and was disappointed to find out that it was really squeaky. It was obvious that the the bed's frame had broken part. We thought about calling the front desk about it and request another room but decided not to. We already unpacked our things and we'd just be sleeping on one bed, anyway.

While watching the development on the Vatical conclave over CNN, I was on the squeaky bed, which consistently creaked each time I moved. At about 165 lbs, I'm not that heavy.

After an hour, I noticed that red ants was already attacking the pizza pie wife bought from S&R. It was on the coffee table near the squeaky bed. It was good, though, that the ants have yet to launch an all-out attack on our snack when I discovered them and we were still able to save it from the insects.

Over-all, our stay at Camayan hotel was pleasant. The staff at the front desk, in the hotel building and in the restaurant were courteous. My wife also liked the food at the Reef restaurant, including the breakfast. We had our dinner there and the fish of the day was superb.

Here's another interesting thing:

The next morning, we went for a swim. When we returned to our room before 10:00 a.m., there was a note thanking us for staying at the hotel and reminding us that we were scheduled to check out at 12:00 noon.

We found nothing wrong about the note.

However, between 10:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. the phone rang. It was the front desk, verbally reminding us about the 12:00 checkout time.

"Ang kulit naman nila. Aalis naman talaga tayo bago 12. Why do they have to keep reminding us about it?" better half uttered.

"I don't know. I've stayed in many hotels in the past but this is the first time that I was reminded in writing and verbally that I have to leave the room at 12 noon. And both reminders were made within one hour," I answered.

"They could have just charge us for late checkout if ever we failed to leave by 12," she said.

Frankly, the twin reminders offended us a bit. It was a polite way to be rude to guests.

Room Tip: If you're a couple or a family, pick the deluxe room, especially the ones upstairs where you'...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank JohnCarbon
Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

It was a very clean hotel, the staff was very friendly and the food was good. Not various but oke.
The rooms are a bit older and there is not so much light on the mirror, so hard to shave and for women to do make up ....

Room Tip: No tips, but the rooms are not the newest, clean and nice but not high class. There are Corals in f...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Filip A
Manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Family friendly and immaculate gardens throughout the property. Right next to Ocean Adventure and hotel gives discounts. Staff is extremely friendly and professional. We really felt at home, as if we were in Hawaii. Laundry service is quick and affordable. The restaurant has a great breakfast buffet. We are already planning our return to this ideal location. Thank you to all of the staff for making our family vacation so stress free and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Right on the beach, no need for a swimming pool. All rooms are devoid of all sand and very clean...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jerry T
Nazareth, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

After spending a couple of days in Clark for the annual air show, we wanted some quality time at the beach, not too far away from Clark.
We had a couple of options, but finally choose for the Camayan.
The hotel is right at the beach and that is great! It is in the bay of Subic and very quiet. The hotel is just next door of the Aqua Adventure Park. That is really great. Negative is that you need a taxi to get to the city for diner or shopping. There is a hotel shuttle but it is almost impossible to get on that one because it is also used as shuttle for the staff.
Check inn was kind of weird. The fornt desk lady was confused and mixed up with the 3 rooms we booked. I think she was pretty new...
Our room was at the beach building: perfect location and view.
The rooms are pretty dark, much darker than the pictures on the website show. Room has a nice size. Quality of the matras is questionable...
The tv is an old type and the picture quality is so and so (no sharp picture).
The light above the sink in the room is not bright at all. For a lady, impossible to put on make up with this light!
The bathroom is small and didn't look attractive. The showerhead was difficult to use because of the calc. Water was hot or cold, nothing in between. After telling our remarks at the front desk, they send a service guy and that helped a bit.
Every room has a fridge and that is pretty good.
Be careful when you're outside: there are wild monkeys!
The beach is small but great. The water is clean and when you snorkel, it is like being in a huge aquarium.
You certainly have to visit the Aqua Adventure Park next door: great shows.
The food is so-so. Kind of fast food.
Staff is very friendly.
Breakfast is acceptable. They make your fresh omelet. The rest of the buffet is not that great.
Every staff member gives you a "hello" or "good morning" etc... Nobody ignores you.
Surrounding is great but I expected more from the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with beach view are wonderful!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
#5 of 26 in Subic Bay Freeport Zone
The Reef Hotel and Residences
The Reef Hotel and Residences
#12 of 26 in Subic Bay Freeport Zone

Been to Camayan Beach Resort and Hotel? Share your experiences!