“A very good place to stay near the beach and restaurants”

Moonbay Marina Leisure Resort
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Went on out of the blue trip for my family to Subic last Saturday (February 2), unfortunately all beach resorts are fully booked so we decided to look for a place to stay for the night. As usual, we check Tripadvisor for guidance and decided to try this place.

The place - located very near the seafront (no beach area), in front of Lighthouse
The rooms - clean, with a small sala, with ref, TV with cable, aircon, toiletries, bath tub, hot and cold shower, hot pot for coffee, clean linens, king size bed
Facilities - with small-medium size swimming pools (kiddy to adult and with jacuzzi), canteen, small play area
Others - Free breakfast for two, street parking and parking space near the pool, near the beach (no bathing is allowed), near lots of restaurant and bars along the beach.
Staff - good service

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Miner_DMS91

Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Me an my girlfriend checked in here for 3 days and 2 nights for our Anniversary. We reserved pur room through asiatravel.com and we definitely liked the stay. We got the exact same room that was on the website. At first we were given the ground floor room but after some negotiations and because we checked in early, the lady was able to do something and gave us the second floor room. We got the la estrella room (the one without kitchen) which is divided into three rooms. First is the receiving room probably for guests or if you are a group, you can just avail of extra matresses and let them sleep on it. Second room is the main bed room. The room is spacious, it has big cabinets and drawers for your things. Flat screen TV is a plus with telephone which I think can make inbound and outbound calls. The bed is nice and I barely had any back aches which is my problem with a bed in any hotels. Third room is made to be the comfort room, spacious and has divisions for the bath tub and toilet. The room also has a veranda. Lucky us, we had some quite a nice view of the Subic Bay. Our room is facing a bar but luckily we don't hear any noise when you are inside the room.

The pool is nice and big and it has a jacuzzi at the center. Unfortunately, it closes at aroud 12 am. They have a restaurant named azul cafe or something which serves nice but but not really that great food. It has big servings which is a plus for me since I eat big. Downside is that servers here doesn't look really happy when serving. They take orders on a very platonic way and they would all sound monotonous to me. I don't know maybe they are not just happy. I noticed 2 golden retrievers roaming around which I think is cute since me and my girlfriend are dog lovers. They are not aggressive but rather friendly so It's ok.

Overall, we really loved our stay here and we will definitely come back. I'm just hoping that staffs and crews here will be trained more about relating with customers to make their experience closer to perfection.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank vcpelaez
Reviewed 15 November 2012

The room that we got was the one bedroom w/kitchen near the pool. When we arrived everything was ready. Everyone was nice & courteous including the lifeguard. What I like about the place is the swimming pool, even if it's full you won't feel crowded. My kids so love the pool we keep on coming back for it even if we don't stay in their hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool & restaurant =))
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2012

There are three types of accomodation for this place(La Estrella without kitchen/El Sol with Kitchen & La Luna,the most expensive).My sister's family and I stayed in the cheapest (La Estrella) one and the middle one (El Sol).I think the only difference between the two was the kitchen,they look the same to me.The reservation was smooth and easy,they answered all my concerns regarding the availability and terms of payment.They were just asking for a 50% downpayment to guarantee the reservation,which was nice because you don't have to give out all the cash to them,one time.
On the day of my check-in they called me early in the morning to inform me that I can make an early check in since our villas were ready.That was a very nice gesture from them,but we were not able to check in until 4PM :( because we were still in Pampanga (Montevista Villas) where we stayed on our first night of our vacation.Check in was smooth as well,they gave us the keys and staff were ready to assist us.

The villas were clean,spacious and very nice.The only thing that I don't like was we were given villas at the groundfloor,therefore it had no view at all, unlike the units on the second floor.Only plus of being on the groundfloor was easy access on everything (the place is just small so you can go around the whole place in minutes).But still I prefer the villas with the view :( I was told that the best units (infront of the pool) were occupied by guests who were staying for a longer period,that is why I feel like the ones they open for overnight stays were the not so good villas in terms of location.Their pool was big and nice and they also have a jacuzzi.

In terms of service, it was ok with the reception and with the attendants that assisted us with our things.What I don't like too much was when we had our complimentary breakfast in their restaurant.The staff there are not your usual happy to assist you people.They seemed very serious and it seemed that they were having a bad day.You would lose somehow your appetite if the people serving you looked confused and mad at something.The food was ok and has a big serving.

The location was good since there are convenience store nearby,bars & restaurants.The rates were quite expensive but I can say that it is one of the nicest place to stay when you are in Subic.I would come back in this place when I have an extra cash to burn,but if you are on a budget there are also other nice places to stay in the area at a much much lower rate.If you want to have a little luxury in Subic then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: villas in front of the pool and located on the second floor with a view are the best choice in this...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

this was just superb, we did book a "la villa" room for 2 nights, wanted a full 7 nights but they were fully booked 48 hours after our check-in...

pool is great for kids, breakfast was fine too in the Azul veranda.

only negative was that they had been dishonest about the WIFI in our room (was at extreme end of the resort and did not get WIFI signal) when i inquired at the front desk they made up a story that it was an issue with the service provider but that couldn't be true since WIFI was available everywhere else, well anyway it made me experience sending emails under their tent whilst the rain was lashing and that was rather interesting!

staff is super helpful and kind, also very good massage at affordable rates.

overall we will be back for sure!

Room Tip: "la Villa" have a small kitchen, the bathrooms have both tubs and showers, if WIFI is impo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Opted for this place and stayed for 2 nights with friends and family last December,booked 3 rooms...was amazed with the room size and amenities...got the rooms we requested for too right in front of the pool...within walking distance to nearby restaurants and bars...only problem we had was the night we wanted to go for a swim they had to block part of the pool for some photo shooting that annoyed us...by the time they were done,some of us were really tired already...breakfast was alright too..and checkout was smooth,except the part where they forgot to give me back my credit card and they didnt even bother to run after me and return it,i realized it when we were loading our cars..after 30mins of check out...otherwise a pleasant stay and a nice place to crash :)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This place is the best for family weekend getaways...i like the quiet and solemn environment especially i have a baby with me on vacation..

My communication was informal, because i just left a message in their website telling them that i will be on the road to zambales with no access to internet, and i requested them to book a room and contact me through my mobile phone for confirmation. The helpdesk called up to inform me that the room i prefer was already full and offered another bigger room for us. i didn't expect they will contact me and reserve the room despite not paying any downpayment yet.

When we arrived 4 hours late, the room was already prepared for us...the place is great but have some few hiccups which i hope they will rectify in the future like the lack of complementary slippers/hotel slippers.

Its very accessible to different establishment like restaurants
The food is great, my baby loves the chocolate brownies! the price is very reasonable also.

Highly recommended for families looking for a weekend respite from the stress of metro manila. accessibility is great also, we drove calmly for 4 hours with several stops along the way through NLEX-SCTEX highway..and arrived back relaxed from our weekend vacation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
#11 of 28 in Subic Bay Freeport Zone
Mangrove Resort Hotel
Mangrove Resort Hotel
#3 of 19 in Olongapo

Been to Moonbay Marina Leisure Resort? Share your experiences!