“Fake Website! Inconsiderate staff!”

Moonbay Marina Leisure Resort
“Fake Website! Inconsiderate staff!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

With the good reviews that I read here in tripadvisor, I "googled" the moonbay marina website with the intent to make a reservation online. To cut the long story short, I booked a room using my credit card and received a booking confirmation via email. To my horror, my friend, whose wedding is the reason why I will go to subic, told me that she verified with moonbay marina and that it doesn't have a booking under my name. Immediately, I called Moonbay Marina to confirm this and lo and behold, my friend was right. Aside from the shock of being a victim of a fraudulent website, I am greaty annoyed and beyond grief that the staff that answered my phone call was without any concern at all. She was so inconsiderate and instead of answering my queries, she just gave me a one-liner.."we don't have online reservation." She did not even bother to ask the details of the fake website, which I think should have alerted them. The details of the fake website is accurate, from the rooms, facilities to the contact numbers. So, for this inconsiderate staff, it boils down to this, if you are not a prospective or existing client, she would not bother to act "customer or client friendly" or even have the decency to extend some assistance or compassion. Customer service at its worst!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank angelcross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This place is at a good location! We had rooms right in front of the pool, nice big spacious rooms with kitchenettes and a living room area. Great for families and big groups of friends. The surroundings of the hotel is also nice with lots of greenery and even swings. Breakfast was alright but then again we ate at nearby restaurants like Jerry's Grill.Will definitely come back here!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank natalie623
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed at Moonbay Marina for 2 nights on May 31, 2013. We are a group of 6 (2 familes with 3 members each). We each have a little girl in tow.

PROS:
- Food is not cheap but you get what you paid for. Essentially, it is not spectacularly awesome but it definitely was unexpectedly delicious. We paid around 5k per night per room and it included breakfast for 2. The tapsilog was delicious. The garlic rice was very garlic-y and the tapa tastes like bistek. Since we had to order extra for our little girl, it was an additonal 170 pesos, which, as I have mentioned, not exactly cheap for a tapsilog but at least it was delicious.

- The rooms are huge. Queen-sized beds, kitchenette and living room. Our room can be accurately described as a "1-bedroom unit" since the bedroom was separate from the living room. There was also the patio where we can smoke (we are smokers). The sheets and pillows smell ok. The room does not smell moldy which is a number one requirement for me. There are plenty of drawers and a battery-operated safe as well.

- The swimming pools are heated and there is a separate jacuzzi with warmer water which was really relaxing. For those with babies, they have a separate pool whose water level is ankle-high. This I thought was very thoughtful.

- The lifeguards are really watching and are really doing their job. Sometimes I think some of the moms kind of abuse this and just leave their toddlers by themselves under the watchful eyes of the responsible lifeguards.

- Since we are staying in one of the villas, we had the convenience of ordering food and drinks by the pool and just charge it to our rooms. Good thing our kids are too small to realize this yet :-)

- It is located near a number of night spots by the beach but we weren't really able to check it out since we have kids in tow.

CONS:
- We don't want to sound like a snob but 5 thousand pesos per night is not exactly cheap in the Philippines. We were hoping for some privacy and serenity for the 2 nights that we stayed there but we were surprised to realize that the swimming pools are actually open to the public for 250 pesos per head. We don't particularly appreciate this.

- While we were all in the pool, we have beers and I believe around 3 sets of entrees (pulutan) in our table. There were 3 hotel employees not very far from our table, mind you. So here's what happened - 3 stray cats jumped on our table and picked on our food. They just dismissed it as "Ayy.." and I told her, technically, the poolside is still their property, they have to replace our food or at least, anything. And she says, "Sorry po ma'am hindi po talaga ganun". Moral lesson : Never order food if you all want to dip in the pool all at the same time.

- We are in the habit of bringing big bags of chips in our hotel rooms. We usually are not able to finish, say, 1 bag of Cheetos in one sitting and we just fold the wrapper in half and place it somewhere. Cheetos is very reliable with its crunchiness. The armies of ants in the rooms are crazy. We lost 2 almost-full bags of chips. The ants were the reddish and smaller kinds. I'm not sure if I would suggest ziploc or just maybe put them in the fridge.

- All of us have tiny purple bruises on our legs before leaving for Manila because the bed frame has sharp pointy edges to it.

Are we going back? We are not yet sure. If ever we do, it'd be for the food and the heated pools.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank s0phiebear_
Reviewed 9 April 2013

It's our first time in Moonbay Marina last weekend April 6-7, 2013 and our family stayed at the La Luna Villa. We just enjoyed the full convenience of our unit. The bedroom with two double-sized beds was perfect for our family(with two kids). The balcony added interest to the room with its view of the playground and just a glimpse of the beach (because there's another unit blocking the front). I was amazed by how the bathroom is spacious and neatly designed--with the glass shower enclosure and a separate tub, bowl with sprinkler and a neat sink. Although the water supply needs a little more pressure and the sink drains so slow. The warm lighting gives it a plus. It's so roomy you can dance while in the bath! The air conditioning was sufficient all over the unit. A well set mini kitchen enabled us to store and cook additional food (we brought our own pan). We just observed that ants immediately came out of nowhere. When we left a box of doughnuts on the ref shelf, ants got in it after a few minutes. Maybe a little pest control would help there. The living area was just perfect for our family chats over snacks and meals. And the couch is so comfy for lazy naps. Outside, the heated pool was enjoyed by the kids until almost midnight and jacuzzi was relaxing enough. Although it's not aesthetically ideal. It's kinda old fashioned design for a modern villa. The dolphin statue even proved to be a hazard for small children bumping their heads on way to the wading pool (I hope they would get rid of it). The tent roofed cottage provided sufficient shade. For our room-in breakfast, it was very filling and they served great beef tapa! Generally, I'd give a thumbs up for this place!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ilovehotelsandbuffet
pampanga, philippines
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I was looking for a place to stay at Subic for my birthday. I always come back to Subic for some peace & quiet but with a nightlife....

Requirements: with a pool, near the waterfront, away from the loud music of nearby bars, big room, with a veranda...

I've been around Subic Hotels, so I decided on my next.

The check-in was quick, but they sure charge for extra person but it was minimal (Php 330) considering it goes with an extra matress, pillow, blanket & towel.

It has a receiving area with its own AC, a spacious bath, bedroom and a veranda...

We ate at their Cafe Azul where the 2 free breakfast will be served. We had a late lunch and the prices were very affordable.

The pool was not directly under the sun, so swimmers won't get baked.

You wouldn't feel like you're in a hotel, because they are villas, with a playground in the center for kids... It has that homey feeling...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ruby_eli_cha
Quezon city 1106
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My family stayed here for a weekend last Dec. 30 , 2012 ad it is only now that I had a chance to make a review. We stayed at one of the villas on 2nd floor and I would say this is a better location than being on the ground floor. The first time we booked here we were on the ground so you can hear and see much of the activities outside. Also on our 1st stay, there wasn't a pool yet so this time my kids had a grand time at the pool. Overall, the rooms were clean and what is good about this place is that you can cook your food. The food though at the restaurant has limited choices including their breakfast buffet. Still I will not hesitate to come back here this summer.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LeslieA62
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed 23 February 2013

The place looks expensive.. yes but don't be intimidated because the price of their villas will surprise you. And if compared to its neighboring hotels (The Lighthouse Marina and Vista Marina) their price is better. The location is perfect just in front of The Lighthouse, a few minutes to the beach, it has its own huge swimming pool, it is located at Subic business center so just a few minutes to the mall, night activities and restaurants. Since it's a villa, you have your own living room, kitchen and a dining area.

We stayed here for 2 nights for our honeymoon last December and we loved it! We had our wedding reception here too, Our 1 night is free with our wedding package but we extended for another night. For breakfast you don't have much to choose from, just either American or Filipino breakfast meal but tastes great and just enough serving. Their restaurant is so affordable too and the food is yummy! Service is great and the staff are so helpful and accommodation. Would love to stay here again. If you want an idea how the resort looks like you can check my blog post of this place, just click the video, Moonbay marina is the venue for our pre-nup, our wedding and reception. http://www.vivisrandomramblings.com/2013/01/im-back-with-hubby-in-tow.html

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Mangrove Resort Hotel
Mangrove Resort Hotel
#1 of 18 in Olongapo
Wild Orchid Beach Resort Subic Bay
Wild Orchid Beach Resort Subic B...
#14 of 26 in Subic Bay Freeport Zone

Been to Moonbay Marina Leisure Resort? Share your experiences!