“One of our favorite places” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garden Bistro 24 - CLOSED

Garden Bistro 24
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Schenectady, New York
“One of our favorite places”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

Mussels and frites are a favorite of ours and these are consistently outstanding. The crepes are another good choice, whether savory or as a dessert. Generous martinis are also a plus. We've been back many times and look forward to our next visit.

1 Thank JGChen

Albany, NY
“Very limited menu, leisurely service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Went to the Garden Bistro 24 with a friend who had been wanting to try it as it was awarded "Best New Restaurant". It is in the corner shop of a strip mall on a very busy section of Central Avenue. We were seated immediately at a table in the front corner window with a view of - - the parking lot as that is the only view from the restaurant. However, the bright sun coming through the large windows was warm and welcoming on a chilly November day.

The menu - to say it is extremely limited would be an understatement. The lunch choices are crepes of various types, a couple of "warm pressed sandwiches" one soup, or the very limited entree menu. Our waitress told us that they were out of salmon, so that limited the choices even further. I choose the roasted chicken , carmelized onion, spinach and mushroom crepe with Bechamel sauce which comes with a choice of a salad or fries. Thinking fries do not go with crepes, I choose the salad. Friend immediately spotted the beef stew "in the style of Burgundy" served over egg noodles and that was that.

The food. The salad was mixed spring lettuce with a good honey mustard vinegarette. On the plate with the salad was one large very soft, one might say floppy, crepe folded in a triangle with a little Bechamel sauce drizzled over it and a few green onions for decoration. The chicken was fairly large pieces, at least too large to eat without cutting, and dry for my taste. The filling was under seasoned and in whole not impressive. Not bad, just not impressive. I would have liked more of the sauce to moisten it up a bit, but could not locate a waitress to make the request. Suggest you ask for it when you order. Friend's beef stew was large chunks of beef in a sauce on noodles. She declared it was good, but "needed something." Her creme brulee on the other hand was done perfectly and friend enjoyed it immensely. To go with lunch we each had a single glass of Pinot Noir ($8/glass).

As we were there for a "catch up with you" lunch and wanted to spend some time chatting, it was not a big problem for us that the service was somewhat slow. For someone on a schedule, like a lunch hour, or a show to get to, it may be an issue.

My lunch (one crepe with a small side salad and a glass of wine) was $17+ tax and tip. Friend's lunch for a bowl of beef stew, one glass of wine and a creme Brulee was $31 + tax and tip.

I would not go here with a large group, or with picky eaters, or with children as the menu choices are very limited. . It may be worth it to check it out at http://www.gardenbistro24.com before you go.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Niskayuna, New York
“very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Ive been to Garden Bistro 24 several times over summer 2011 and was very happy with the food and service. The atmosphere is nice but needs something hanging from the ceiling to take that strip mall building look away, say perhaps a drop rack or large hanging lamps to fill the space. The food is very good whether you have ordered the st lawrence mussels, the ny strip steak with bleu cheese or just a salad, all was prepared, presented very well and most importantly, tastes great!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank yupperdoodee
Schenectady, NY
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We've been here a handful of times since it has opened. Ommegang beer on tap, great mussels and frites. Not a lot of choices, but no need - they do a few things and do them well. Highly recommend the coconut lemongrass sauce. They will happily bring you mayonaise for your frites instead of ketchup if you want to keep it Belgian-style. Keep the mustard aioli that also comes with the frites even if you swap out the ketchup. The restaurant is in a small non-descript strip mall, but they did a decent job with the decor. They are sometimes a little enthusiastic with the AC in the sumnmer - bring a sweater.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank wraar
“Great service, but fresh food without the sparkle”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

A French restaurant in the neighborhood! I was excited to see i t come in and even happier to see that it was an independent restaurant. This visit was my second..my first was in the first week it opened. As you enter you see a small glass case filled with pastries..(not as impressive as the ones in France, but still pretty).The menu is small...a range of sweet and savory crepes, salads, soups and a small number of entrees. Despite my craving for some crepes,( I hadn't particularly been impressed with their crepes on my previous visit) I decided to try their chicken . Their main entrees are served w/ pommes des frittes. I had a quarter of a chicken baked, but nothing else to it...it was rather ordinary. The fries were sliced small and quite tasty, but I'm not really a french fry person. I ordered a side of asparagus and peas which was fresh and steamed. My companion ordered the skirt steak which she said tasted fine, but nothing special about it either.
Our wait staff was very attentive and friendly , without hovering. Although we were in for an early dinner, as we ate the restaurant filled up quickly. A bit disappointed with the lack of something special to the meals (our meals felt like something you would whip up at home..steamed and baked items), we decided to skip dessert.

• Visited July 2011