“Stay Here When You Visit the Hall of Fame”
Review of The Cooper Inn

and 1 more site!
The Cooper Inn
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed here with my wife and teenage daughter last week for two nights while we visited the baseball hall of fame. The location was excellent - we parked our car on the property when we arrived, and did not get back in it untill we left at the end of our visit. Our room had a queen and twin bed, and the size of the room was more than adequate. There was a large HD TV, an ipod docking station, and also a safe in the closet. The bathroom also appeared to be renovated rather recently.
The continental breakfast was great - sometimes, when a hotel says "contintental breakfast", that may just mean a box of donuts in the lobby, or wrapped pastries. Fortunately, that was not the case here - there was a waffle machine, a toaster with assorted breads, pastries, fruit, and also hot and cold cereals. The dining room setting for breakfast was also nice.

The only drawback from this trip, and was not a fault of the Inn at all, was the fact that other than some of the restaurants downtown, the few stores that are opened during the day usually close by 5:00. There is not much to do at night, particularly off-season. However, the restaurants we did go to in town were quite good.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank TJH_03

Reviewed 2 December 2012

Stayed for 3 nights with two colleagues here in this homely clapperboard inn. The rooms and beds were warm and comfortable, and the fixtures and fittings good quality. There is a continental breakfast service, and a small honesty bar. Free WiFi, and friendly helpful staff. It is affiliated to the Otesago Hotel, an enormous stately pile on the lakeshore about a 4 minute walk away.

The village is small but beautiful, so local amenities are a little limited, but there are a few good restuarants and local shops, and the countryside is very lovely.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Alphablack
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We stayed at the Cooper Inn in November and found it to be a great place to stay during the off season. The Inn is located near Main Street and the Baseball Hall of Fame. The town is really only about three blocks, and within easy walking distance of the Inn. Also you have the use of the resort hotel, Otesega Resort Hotel amenities. Go during the off season, not June, July and August, for the best experience and visit to the Hall of Fame.

Room Tip: Pool and fitness center located in Resort Hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lingls
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The Cooper Inn is very conveniently located in Cooperstown, within easy walking distance of the Baseball Hall of Fame, and the shops and restaurants in Cooperstown. The grounds of the Inn are beautiful and well maintained. The Inn itself is a historic building with large rooms. Our room was a good size with two armchairs and a flat screen tv, and a very large bathroom. The Inn was well maintained and the staff were very pleasant. The continental breakfast was good, however, for the price the Inn charges, I would have expected a hot entree to be served. While the Inn was a wonderful place to stay, it was a bit on the pricey side with a lack of amenities one generally expects in a bed and breakfast at the price we paid. Other B and B's I've stayed in at this price provided a full hot breakfast as well as water/sodas and afternoon cookies. The Cooper Inn is more like a hotel than and B&B. It is affiliated with the Ostega Hotel and as a guest you are entitled to use the services of the hotel. We did take a walk over and sat on the hotel's back porch overlooking the lake. We also ate in the Hawkeye Grill. Food was good and priced comparably to other restaurants. Overall we had a wonderful stay, but next time I'd look for a bed and breakfast that offered more amenities for the price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2012

As much as I hate to give a not-so-good review, I was quite disappointed in the Cooper Inn. In my humble opinion, the rooms were tired and worn and not worth the price. My husband and I took an 11 day trip, stopping at 8 different locations to stay, so we knew from other Inns along the Hudson and in the Catskills and Adirondacks that this was true.

From the outside, it is a very charming site. The public rooms downstairs were recently redone and had beautiful wallpaper and bright furnishings and carpet. Upstairs was a different story, however. We had requested a larger room with a fireplace. The room I was showed to was incredibly small, with no fireplace. When I mentioned this the extremely nice gentleman at the front desk told me he could switch my room with no problem at all. We were switched to a room in the main part of the house which was indeed a bit larger with 2 chairs in front of - an inoperable fireplace. We had to laugh; that wasn't exactly what we meant, but if the Inn has no operating fireplaces, why not just say so? Not a major disappointment, however with an approaching thunderstorm that night it would have been nice.

The crux of my problem with the Inn is the furnishings and linens were SO worn and tired. There were very few electrical outlets (in our large room only 3 - one for the bedstand light, one for the light on the table near the fireplace, and one for the tv). Also, the room had a weird smell, not mildew, but...something unpleasant. It appeared to be clean. The bathroom was very nice - the shower head was easy to figure out and there was plenty of water. The chairs and the carpet were worn and looked not very clean.

One problem - the maid walked right into our room in the morning - no knock, no squeak, no "Hello!", nothing. Just oh sheesh! and good morning! We were a bit unsettled as my husband had just gotten out of the shower and had a towel wrapped around his waist and I was sound asleep. Very strange. Could have been worse, but, seriously?

The management was so polite and courteous, I must say, but they can't overcome the room shortcomings. We did go over to the Otesaga to see it, and it was also charming but, again, a little ragged around the edges. We ate at the Hawthorne Grill - UGH. Possibly the worst meal EVER. (See my review)

The Cooper Inn is incredibly well-located and the grounds are beautiful and well-kept - I would return if the rooms were redone and the maidservice was better-trained. Also - be prepared to lug your luggage up a circular stairway - not an easy task.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sanfrann
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed at the Cooper Inn for a couple nights while visiting Cooperstown. The Inn is well located for walking to town, the Hall, and the lake.
The room was appropriately creaky for a historic Inn but just about ready for a refresh. If we hadn't had the extra little room between the main room and the bathroom, I think it would have felt too tight.
You may need to be ready to hoist your heavy bags up the front stairs from your car--no one working the doorway at 6pm on a Sunday evening.
The breakfasts were nice and all the people were friendly. Nice place to stay but not really special as old inns go.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric L
Reviewed 10 September 2012

It there was a place that makes you feel like you stepped into a Norman Rockwell painting Cooperstown is it and the Cooper Inn is the cherry on top of the ice cream sundae. It has a welcoming staff, a more than generous continental breakfast and access to the amenities at the Otesaga Resort near by. The large room was quiet and its decor was modestly elegant. I slept extremely well. The sun porch was a beautiful place to eat the more than generous continental breakfast, read the morning paper, or enjoy an afternoon libation. Had there been a Hilton or a Hyatt near the area, I would have missed this gem completely! I will stay again when back in Cooperstown.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room overlooking the lawn.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo