“HOT WATER! Quiet and clean campgrounds.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Copake Falls
Taconic State Park Campgrounds
New York City, New York
“HOT WATER! Quiet and clean campgrounds.”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

HOT WATER!!!!! Good water pressure. Large bathrooms and changing area. Hand dryer which easily doubles as a hair dryer. Outlets for a quick phone charge. There was hair in the shower when I used it after a Saturday hike and it was gone when I showered the next afternoon. The bathroom is dated but clean. There is an outdoor dish washing station with dishwashing liquid provided. The garbage/recycling area is ridiculously tidy and well kept. They have campgrounds officials driving around which helps keep the noise down. There is a lake/pond and smaller wading pool near the entrance (with lifeguard) and it is magical to jump in there after a long sweaty hike (there is a changing room with bathrooms located there). There is also a swing set for anyone with small children. A tiny store is located across the street from the entrance of the grounds and they carry the basics. VERY nice people work there, and they have a really nice beer selection which allows you to mix and match bottles (they have about 40 different brands). It was a great weekend with friends camping there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank vaterps71

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Freeport, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We went last weekend of september 2013. It was COLD!!!! We where in loop C Sites 80-82 In the back away from everything and everyone. The bathrooms are old but clean I think that might have something to do with the fact that not to many people where camping. The showers again old but where clean. We had a lot of children with us and thought that the sites we picked where close to the park but NOT AT ALL !! We did the falls hike it was a great weather during the day for stuff like that!! It was a beautiful place to visit we all had a good time.

Room Tip: loop C Is the best as far as sites go the one next to the bathroom is BIg but lots of traffic in tha...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank melly m
Woodmere, New York, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I recently spent two nights here. This was my second time here. I was in Loop B, Site 55. Site was built on a hill. There was no remotely flat area to set up a tent. This seemed to be true of many of the B Loop sites. A loop sites have some platforms, but they are well known for being on top of each other. There seem to be some private sites on the outer periphery. I cannot tell if they were flat. Except for those few sites, expect no privacy.

Bathrooms were disgusting. I camp a lot and have low expectations. I am also quite used to primitive camping. The smell in the men's bathroom was overwhelming. The floor was covered in toilet paper. I had qualms about walking in there even with my hiking boots on. Absolutely disgusting. Again, I am no neat freak. I opted for the woods instead.

A message to the NYS Parks Department. It would cost you nothing to level just a portion of the sites so there is a flat spot for a tent. Also, bathrooms need to be cleaned on occasion.

People at the gate were friendly. I bought wood from a couple of local places. All the wood was wet and hissing. Eventually I got some from the Citgo a few miles south on 22. That wood worked well. Try to get wood from farther away (within the 50 mile limit).

Hiking at Bash Bish and on the Taconic trail are great. Check out Catamount Aerial Adventure park about 15 minutes North. It's always a great time.

Overall, there is nothing good about the campground itself.

Room Tip: Stay away from Loop B, Site 55 or anywhere within a few spots to the left. There seem to be some qu...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank David K

Travellers are raving about these Copake Falls hotels

Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

This is my second time at Taconic. First time was in 2012 for Labor Day weekend, second time was in 2013 for Independence Day weekend. I have to say that my kids enjoyed it so much that we are already planning on reserving for next year. We fell really safe, as the park rangers would pass by almost at every moment. It was clean around the campgrounds, however, bathrooms not so much. Even though I guess if you are camping you don't mind that much, besides I have to admit that some campers are the ones who mess it up. Also, I was wondering if they ever thought about building a swimming pool for those who don't want to go in the little pond? I really recommend the place to those families that want to spend some time free of the stress, as you really have a nice time. And whoever decides to go, don't forget to walk to the falls!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank IddisSanchez
Woodside, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Bathroom is the most important part of a house. A house with a very dirty bathroom is a dirty house, not good to live in. The same in a camp site. This camp site has the dirtiest bathroom i've ever been. So yacky... The only thing it is good here is the trail to the falls, and the trees. Other than that, no more.

Room Tip: Just dont go here for now. They shld improve in cleanliness in the bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This was my first time camping and although I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, the bathrooms were for a lack of words, Gross. That is my biggest complaint. The swimming hole was a bit small and the hikes limited, but besides that I loved the hike to both the waterfall and to sunset rock. I do wish that there were more bathroom facilities located by the trails, instead of porta-poties. If I were just rating the small convenient store by the entrance to the park, I would rate it a 5! Their cinnamon bread is TO DIE FOR! And they are such a nice family. Very helpful and warm!

If the park upgraded their bathrooms, they would definitely be rated higher.

Room Tip: Loved the platforms! Definitely recommend them!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I found the Copake campground to be somewhat average, maybe slightly below as I compare it to other state campsites. We had a site in B loop which was not very flat and the only logical spot for the tent was very close to the fire pit. The sites have very little buffer between them and thus this had to be the noisiest campground I have ever been to. The positives are that the campground it conveniently located, the staff are very friendly and patrol the grounds on a regular basis. They even evicted a large group of kids after one night for being noisy (and probably other things) during the quiet period.

Room Tip: It is probably worth the extra to book a site with a platform.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Days Inn Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
#4 of 10 in Great Barrington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Windflower Inn
Windflower Inn
#2 of 12 in Great Barrington

Been to Taconic State Park Campgrounds? Share your experiences!