“Great place to camp - if you choose your campsite carefully!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Copake Falls
Taconic State Park Campgrounds
Reviewed 13 August 2014

First the good: you really cannot beat the location. This campground has a natural wading pool, a deep flooded ore pit for swimming, a playground, a field and multiple trails to hike. There's a 1.5 mile trail that goes right to Bash Bish Falls. Or you can drive 2 minutes down the road to the official parking lot and hike .75 mile. The campground is also on the start of the bike trail.

Now the bad: it was loud. Granted, it was a weekend in peak summer season, but we weren't really expecting raucous groups of twenty-somethings and families. We were on the outside of an outer loop, so it was fine at our campsite and sleeping at night. Our campsite location meant we had better quiet and privacy than the people in the middle of the camp. You can't tell it from the map, but the entire middle is all open to each other - all the tents are just lined up next to each other and there's no bushes or separation or privacy.

Also, the bathrooms were clean but could really use updating.

Room Tip: For maximum privacy and quiet, pick a location on the outside of Loop C or D.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank abarber

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We camped at Taconic - Copake Falls campground the last weekend of July 2014. We booked two platform sites on Loop A for us and our son's family. We were close to bathrooms and to the shower areas as well as within site of the meadow/playground areas. Although I thought the platform sites on Loop A were very close to each other, after staying there, it was never a problem. The park was fully booked, but there were never lines for bathrooms or showers. One of our fire pits had not been cleaned out, and that might have been a problem had we not intended to only use one between our two families. The park staff does frequent drive throughs, however, so I feel confident they would have rectified the matter had we asked. There were ample picnic tables all through the loop, so we were able to pull an extra close to the fire one night to provide seats for visitors. I would definitely camp at this park again...soon!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CorinneRomaine
Reviewed 12 June 2014

HOT WATER!!!!! Good water pressure. Large bathrooms and changing area. Hand dryer which easily doubles as a hair dryer. Outlets for a quick phone charge. There was hair in the shower when I used it after a Saturday hike and it was gone when I showered the next afternoon. The bathroom is dated but clean. There is an outdoor dish washing station with dishwashing liquid provided. The garbage/recycling area is ridiculously tidy and well kept. They have campgrounds officials driving around which helps keep the noise down. There is a lake/pond and smaller wading pool near the entrance (with lifeguard) and it is magical to jump in there after a long sweaty hike (there is a changing room with bathrooms located there). There is also a swing set for anyone with small children. A tiny store is located across the street from the entrance of the grounds and they carry the basics. VERY nice people work there, and they have a really nice beer selection which allows you to mix and match bottles (they have about 40 different brands). It was a great weekend with friends camping there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank vaterps71
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We went last weekend of september 2013. It was COLD!!!! We where in loop C Sites 80-82 In the back away from everything and everyone. The bathrooms are old but clean I think that might have something to do with the fact that not to many people where camping. The showers again old but where clean. We had a lot of children with us and thought that the sites we picked where close to the park but NOT AT ALL !! We did the falls hike it was a great weather during the day for stuff like that!! It was a beautiful place to visit we all had a good time.

Room Tip: loop C Is the best as far as sites go the one next to the bathroom is BIg but lots of traffic in tha...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank melly m
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I recently spent two nights here. This was my second time here. I was in Loop B, Site 55. Site was built on a hill. There was no remotely flat area to set up a tent. This seemed to be true of many of the B Loop sites. A loop sites have some platforms, but they are well known for being on top of each other. There seem to be some private sites on the outer periphery. I cannot tell if they were flat. Except for those few sites, expect no privacy.

Bathrooms were disgusting. I camp a lot and have low expectations. I am also quite used to primitive camping. The smell in the men's bathroom was overwhelming. The floor was covered in toilet paper. I had qualms about walking in there even with my hiking boots on. Absolutely disgusting. Again, I am no neat freak. I opted for the woods instead.

A message to the NYS Parks Department. It would cost you nothing to level just a portion of the sites so there is a flat spot for a tent. Also, bathrooms need to be cleaned on occasion.

People at the gate were friendly. I bought wood from a couple of local places. All the wood was wet and hissing. Eventually I got some from the Citgo a few miles south on 22. That wood worked well. Try to get wood from farther away (within the 50 mile limit).

Hiking at Bash Bish and on the Taconic trail are great. Check out Catamount Aerial Adventure park about 15 minutes North. It's always a great time.

Overall, there is nothing good about the campground itself.

Room Tip: Stay away from Loop B, Site 55 or anywhere within a few spots to the left. There seem to be some qu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank David K
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

This is my second time at Taconic. First time was in 2012 for Labor Day weekend, second time was in 2013 for Independence Day weekend. I have to say that my kids enjoyed it so much that we are already planning on reserving for next year. We fell really safe, as the park rangers would pass by almost at every moment. It was clean around the campgrounds, however, bathrooms not so much. Even though I guess if you are camping you don't mind that much, besides I have to admit that some campers are the ones who mess it up. Also, I was wondering if they ever thought about building a swimming pool for those who don't want to go in the little pond? I really recommend the place to those families that want to spend some time free of the stress, as you really have a nice time. And whoever decides to go, don't forget to walk to the falls!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank IddisSanchez
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Bathroom is the most important part of a house. A house with a very dirty bathroom is a dirty house, not good to live in. The same in a camp site. This camp site has the dirtiest bathroom i've ever been. So yacky... The only thing it is good here is the trail to the falls, and the trees. Other than that, no more.

Room Tip: Just dont go here for now. They shld improve in cleanliness in the bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Been to Taconic State Park Campgrounds? Share your experiences!