“Much bang for your buck”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corning
Inn at the Gaffer Grille
Ranked #3 of 4 Corning B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Much bang for your buck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The last night of our trip through the finger lakes was unplanned, and we weren't sure what city we would stay in, let alone what hotel/inn. The only thing I knew was that I wanted it to be in the direction of home (Pittsburgh) and not farther away. I found this place and felt like maybe the pictures were deceiving because it seemed to good to be true for the price. I also wasn't sure about Corning. I mean, I knew they had the glass museum, but I wasn't sure that that would be a huge draw for us.

When we pulled up the the Gaffer Grille, my husband was looking at me a little funny. By the time the bartender showed us the rooms, he was a believer. He kept asking me how I found this place! The room would be a suite in just about any hotel, with a living room, kitchen area, exposed brick walls, a super comfy bed, and a whirlpool tub, and on the week days, it was something like 150 bucks!

I was also wrong about Corning. It's a super cute little town (at least the main road the inn is on) We thought we would walk up and down the street and then maybe check out the museum. Wrong! There was enough to see on the street that we didn't even have time for the museum, and that was just fine! We got dinner at some wine bar place, and then listened to live music outside for a couple of hours. It was a great way to spend a Thursday evening.

When we got back to the room, we got a second dinner (The restaurant that the inn is attached to offers room service), drank wine, watched TV and had a great night sleep in the super comfy bed.

A steal.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Zofiava

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Found this place through Trip Advisor, and for the money that we would pay to stay at a cookie cutter chain -- we thought we'd try something different. It was a great location -- right in town. We walked down the Main Street (Walnut) and perused the shops, there was live entertainment to enjoy and then we chose a great place to eat. The hotel room was very nice (Arrondi), however there are lots of steps and a bit narrow to the second floor. Agree with other reviews that its a bit odd to have the cleaning supply cabinet in the hallway -- seems like there could either be a better location, or somehow have it fit in with the decor a bit more. The room was spotless, and recently renovated. Bed was VERY comfortable. Had a small kitchenette, which was nice. We would recommend, and stay again !

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

If we hadn't had problems with wifi all week (none for the Inn, sometimes could get very weak reception from the restaurant wifi), I would have ranked this a 5. Room (Arrondi) was large, clean and comfortable. Kitchenette nice, but no dishes or cutlery. AC a bit noisy, but I don't mind the white noise! You have to go up a flight of stairs front or back to get in, which is a bit awkward with suitcases, but nice and private. Service is via the bartenders in the restaurant, which is fine for most things, but they didn't know anything about why we couldn't get wifi in our room. Great location, lots of good restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. Would probably stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank XineF
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed in the Majestic room. It was simply beautiful!! We loved every inch of it! The atmosphere was outstanding! The staff was amazing!! And the food was unbelievable! Right in historic Corning....plenty to do and see. We ate at several restaurants in the area. Loved it all!!

Yes, you do hear the band from the bar, good thing they are amazing!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We enjoyed the room (Tiffany), very nice layout with super comfortable furniture. Best sleep we've had in a while! Love the location, as we walked around and enjoyed many things in town without having to drive. Many nice restaurants within easy walking distance. Perfect getaway-definitely hope to be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
West Grove, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I disklike your traditional one room hotel with two beds and a desk with mini fridge. We were on our way to Niagara Falls Canada from Pennsylvania so I thought we'd leave around 4 p.m. and stop after a few hours to eat and spend the night. I picked Corning, NY based on google maps as a good stopping point. The closest Hampton Inn which Is a chain I don't mind was $169 plus taxes. I thought that was steep so checked around and found this place. The Inn at the Gaffer Grille was ten times better than any small room we would have had at a Hampton Inn. And it was slightly cheaper $149 plus tax. Though it did not include bfast like HI does so I would say the prices would be comparable based on what we spent getting bagels, coffees at Dunkin.

We had the Queen Suite, room 2. You do have to go up a flight of stairs with your bags but we had teen boys to lug them for us. The room was perfect. Exactly like the pictures from their web site. Queen bed with very nice blankets and pillows. And I was super excited that there was right next to my bed a Homedics sound machine. What a wonderful unexpected find. I loved it.

The bathroom was nice, had a whirlpool based tub.
Nice living area: leather furniture that pulled out into bed for the teens. Small kitchen table for 2. Kitchenette with Filtered water pitcher, keurig, and hot chocolate. Loved the electric fireplace in the living room.

Spotlessly clean. I highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JessDougBrown
Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed in the Tiffany room, which is very large with a kitchenette and large leather sofa. It's an oddly arranged room--nice little gas fireplace, but stuck off in a corner by itself. I wanted a couple of comfy chairs so I could sit next to it and enjoy it. And I wish places would learn that they need 2 bedside tables and lamps. I was worried about noise, being right above a bar and restaurant, but we didn't hear anything. It was bitter cold so no one was outside; with warmer weather, you might hear people in the parking lot outside the window. I agree with others that the cleaning supplies and basket of laundry in the hallway make the place feel cheap--and it's not! Good location, with lots of restaurant choices within easy walking distance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ShowMeSomething
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corning
Radisson Hotel Corning
Hampton Inn Corning/Painted Post
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#6 of 7 in Painted Post

Been to Inn at the Gaffer Grille? Share your experiences!