“Great place to eat and just down the street from MoCG”

Slammin Jammin Southern Smoked BBQ
Ranked #7 of 72 Restaurants in Corning
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Crazy, rainy day in the Finger Lakes so we decided to visit the Museum of Corning Glass which we had never had occasion to visit on earlier trips to the area. Figuring we'd probably take in lunch while we were there, we referred to Tripadvisor to narrow down a place to eat. After a few hours at MoCG we hopped in the car, headed to the historic downtown area looking for the restaurant, (I hadn't paid attention to where the restaurant was situated), only to find out that it was down the street from MoCG and we could have walked.

Situated in a strip mall Slammin Jammin doesn't really stand out and since it was pouring at this point and a little late for lunch we didn't have the benefit of seeing lots of cars parked there or people eating outside on the patio. Nevertheless we ventured in and had a fabulous meal. This is a really casual restaurant with high tops and rustic wood furnishings. No pretension here just extremely friendly people making really good food.

You order at the cash, find yourself a seat and then wait for all that delicious food to be delivered to your table. On the owner's recommendation we started with the bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapenos (fabulous) then followed that with a huge rack of ribs and barbecued chicken. Everything was tasty, the meat flavourful and juicy. Since we were the only ones there at the time (remember it was pouring and late for lunch) the owner, Ben, stopped over several times to check and make sure everything was o.k. and to see if there was anything further he could do for us. Other than getting us a take-out box to pack up the remaining ribs we were happy and full.

Slammin Jammin has plans for expansion and the addition of beer/wine on their menu. In the meantime it's definitely worth tracking down and enjoying some great southern BBQ especially if you're visiting the MoCG because it's just down the street. But even if you're just looking for some really good food, eat in or take out, make the effort to stop in.

One question we did have for the owner was how a Texan who creates such tasty southern barbecue found himself in an unlikely place like Corning N.Y. You'll have to ask Ben for the answer, and you should because it's a really beautiful story. You MUST eat here!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

BBQ sauce and ribs were excellent. Good fries and corn muffin as well a pulled pork. Sweet tea was also refreshing.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We decided to stop by for a bite. The food was very good but I found the person taking the order was unpleasant but the owner made up for it by asking how the food was. Would definitely go back but just because we ordered water she gave us a weird look.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The ribs, brisket and pulled pork were delicious. The staff were friendly and helpful. Great place to eat in or take out.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was near Corning for 3-4 days in May and had a hankering for real Southern bbq...Found this place on Trip advisor and it was well reviewed...so I came over. It's easy to find -- and must be a lunch favorite with workers from the Corning Glass place. Lots of "workers" there at lunch. Service was quick and the choices were good. I like bbq chicken and so I got a lunch plate with a quarter chicken (white meat), and beans, slaw and cornbread. That's my idea of a good lunch. The chicken had been recently heated on the grill -- had good burnt (I like that) places on the skin..but it was a bit dry inside. The sides were good -- only not quite as BIG as I'd like them...the cornbread was sweet and tasty...so I was happy and full when I left...everyone was friendly. Except for the slight issue of dryness on the chicken (which might have been a one-time thing) My Southern taste for bbq was satisfied...