“Not worth the time or money”

Cap'n Morgans Sports Bar & Grill
Ranked #40 of 71 Restaurants in Corning
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Bar, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Description: We are a family friendly restaurant with a full bar and menu. In our bar you can enjoy NY Lottery, pool, darts, sports on many tv's. For large groups or parties we have upstairs seating and if the weather cooperates the patio is open for some outside dining or drinks
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Was in town with my son (age 6) and was recommended this place by a hotel employee.

It's not hard to find, and has a nice menu - the waitress/bar tender was very nice. My son loves mussels, so I ordered some of those and they were very good - we should have stopped there!

We also ordered the gator bites, which were overly spicy and very chewy - they may have been overcooked, not sure...but I've had much, much better gator nuggets before. We ate two of them and threw the rest away.

I ordered the half-rack of ribs for myself with fries. The fries were good...the rib sauce was pretty good. The rib meat was very tough, and I ended up eating less than half of my ribs.

This place is also not family-friendly, as I was told. All of the tables are within a few feet of the bar and we were blasted with a steady stream of expletives.

This is more the kind of place you go when you're already drinking and want to drink more.

1  Thank CDragon00

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I've eaten here 4 times and am mostly satisfied with what Captain Morgans has to offer. It is first and foremost a neighborhood restaurant that caters to locals. From what I can tell they have a loyal following and do a good business. This is impressive due to it's location (not on the Market St. strip) - it's on the other side of the bridge (literally).

The food is a mix of standard bar food (wings, sandwiches, etc.) and some hard to find dishes (jambalaya, crab cakes, clams, oysters). That said, I think the chef does a great job at making simple food taste delicious. They have over 6 flavors of chicken wings (you have to try the raspberry habanero wings) and also many nice side dishes. Then there is the jambalaya...oh man I almost ordered a second bowl of this goodness last time I ate there. It's what I would expect if I were eating at a Bourbon St. (New Orleans) restaurant. It IS spicy, however, so it is not for the faint of heart. I would gladly pay a small fortune for their jambalaya recipe...it is simply that good!

They always have a drink/beer special any given night of the week. Drink sizes are medium to full depending on the bartender's mood. Yuengling is always on tap and that's a good thing.

My only frustration with Captain Morgans is the service. The servers are very good and do their best to cover the place; however, they tend to run a bit thin-staffed. One night I waited forever for a drink at the bar - I moved to a table and ordered my dinner. Food arrived late and cold. They took it back and didn't charge me for it (big plus) but in the end I walked out hungry.

The restaurant has a bar atmosphere in the front and a well lit family friendly area in the back. If you are staying at the nearby Comfort Inn then it's a very short, safe walk (3 min.). On the way back you can stop at the Hokey Pokey Ice Creamery.

Captain Morgans is a unique place that is bursting with potential. My 3 star rating will easily become a 4 star rating if the service is improved a bit. In any event, Cap'n Morgans is definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank biztraveler999