“Terrific service and food”
Review of Panasia - CLOSED

Panasia
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Hammondsport, New York
“Terrific service and food”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband, daughter and I went to Panasia about two weeks after their grand opening. Everything we ordered was delicious and we all ordered something different and were able to share. Our waiter was attentive and courteous and best of all she knew her stuff. She was able to answer all of our questions to our satisfaction. This large menu has something for everyone! Give it a try; I am sure you will love it.

• Visited May 2014

Elmira, New York
“This place needs work!!!!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

In spite of the problems I liked this restautrant and wanted to give it 5 stars, but there are too many things that need to be fixed. Its a new place, so maybe they will fix them. Food was pretty good....but the "crunchy" calamari was soggy, and the spice tuna was bland, and our friend ordered a seafood dish (not listed as "HOT!!"), and it almost cause 1st degree burns! They burned the Korean scallian pankakes.....and delivered them to us as if they were fine! The waiteress fixed it, brought replacements, and there was no charge.....but come on.....burned and delivered to us anyway!?! We went there twice. First time the service was so good it was overwhelming, annoying even. Let us eat for crying out loud! Second time I almost had to tackle the waitress to get her attention. Get it together guys!!!! Worst of all.....unforgiveable.......After being open only about three weeks they reprinted the sushi menu and the prices went up 150%!!! The old "bait 'n switch"!!! Very low class. I hope this place makes it. It has potential. But the owners have a lot of work to do.

1 Thank JohnandJaneS
Corning, New York
“Great addition to Market St!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Have been to Pan-Asia twice now. This restaurant certainly fills a niche that was previously missing in Corning. I love Asian food and it is nice having a classy place to eat it. Yes we have several good standard fare Chinese restaurants but while they can fill you up with good food it is certainly not a dining "experience". We dined once as a family and once just as a couple. Both times we were welcomed warmly and seated promptly even though the place was busy. When the place is full it is LOUD. The only place where you can carry on a conversation is in the lounge, (unless a band is playing on a Thursday) The open kitchen adds to the noise but it is also kind of cool to be able to see the chefs working. The drink menu is good though a bit pricey. The food has all been very good to excellent though also a bit pricey. I am a great fan of both Pho and also Pad Thai noodles. Have eaten these types of dishes in many many restaurants and also prepare them at home. I was ever so slightly disappointed with Pan Asia's versions of these. When eating Pad Thai I look for just the right texture and chewiness to the noodles, along with the freshness of the bean sprouts and crunch of peanuts. Pad Thai to me should be an adventure in contrasts between tastes and textures. In Pan-Asias version the noodles were a little overdone and a lot "brothier" or juicer than most I've had but still very tasty. Portion sizes are good for your actual meal but its unlikely you will have any to take home in a "doggy" bag. The wait staff here is very good. Decor is nice, food is good, and Pan-Asia is the new hip place to be seen in Corning. Wishing them continued success.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank C0rning123
Jordan, Canada
“barely waited for our overpriced bill”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

we LOVE any type of pan-asian food. We were on vacation in Watkins Glen, and came to Corning for the evening, having been told it was the Mecca of good restaurants. We chose Pan-Asia, and at first were impressed by the hostess and wait staff. The restaurant is extremely noisy, you have to almost yell to talk to the person beside you to be heard. Our server was not knowledgeable about the menu, which was over priced. I ordered the green papaya salad, which was supposed to be "sweet and spicy". There was nothing sweet about it. I LOVE spicy food, and my husband has never seen me balk at anything.. there was no warning lable, but this dish was made to burn not only your lips off, but your tongue and tonsils if you had them. I barely touched it.. and told the server there was something wrong with it.. but was never offered a credit, or to have it removed from our bill. I will say that the sashimi was excellent.. thankfully, otherwise we would have left hungry after paying a hefty bill. We enjoyed watching the kitchen crew, and that they served the food themselves to the table, neat concept.
My husband ordered the pad thai, which was tasteless, and greasy. Not what we've come to expect from all our many experiences at quality Asian restaurants. If you are looking for quality food, at good prices in a quiet restful atmosphere.. this is NOT the place to go. If you are looking for trendy, at high prices, and are careful with your menu choices.. and drink alot (as one of the other posters - so your tastebuds don't care.. then this is your restaurant.

2 Thank Amoslionheart
Elmira, New York
“No Food For You”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Walking in the door, the poor acoustics hit us like a crash of cymbals. Despite the lack of music the place was loud. The patrons were loud. The staff was loud. The open kitchen was loud. The spartan décor done in shades of orange, brown and yellow was loud too. Blue Cheer would be proud. We were promptly seated without menus.

Our waitress, wearing a dangerously short cocktail dress, finally arrived with menus. She did well enough with the standard niceties. The problem started when she tried to hear us over the noise. Every single time she bent over, she grabbed her derrière. Despite her frantic efforts to cover her exposed bottom, there simply wasn't enough fabric. I get it. She works for tips. Still, pawing at one's bottom while serving food.....

She asked if we would like something from the bar. Not in the mood for booze, I ordered a Thai iced tea. She conveyed her regrets. The kitchen forgot to make it. I ordered water and husband settled for a Coke.

As we perused the menu, another server wearing a different type of black cocktail dress delivered a plate of food. Initially, I thought it was a "compliments of the chef" kind of thing. Nope. The plate belonged to someone else. The server didn't know who. Plate in hand, she wound her way through the worn brown tables clustered together like mushrooms on a log.

Our beverages arrived with one hand while our server pulled at her butt with the other. She asked if we had questions. Yes, we did. Could she please explain the dishes without description on the menu. "Uh", she says. "That one is sort of an Indian curry that's sweet." The others, well, they're just spicier than the lower priced counter parts. She could not elaborate. She went on to explain the restaurant served family style. Bowls of food with serving spoons is not my first choice for a dining experience, but okay. When in Rome.

We took in the annoying yet Spartan ambience. A Buddha painting hanging here, words painted on a yellow wall over there. The kitchen clattered.

My appetizer was delivered by a waitress I hadn't seen before. She too was dressed in a black cocktail dress but this one was knee length and sleeveless. "Is this yours?" She asked. I nodded, assuming it was the Filipino fried spring rolls. She put it down and told us to share. We looked at two long, skinny spring rolls vertically perched on a wooden sushi tray. We had no plates. We waited. I tried to find our server. Nope. The spring rolls were getting colder by the minute. Second appetizer? Still nadda. I reached across the table and dipped the spring roll. Giving up on the social nicety of a plate, I tried not to drip sauce on the table. With great expectation, I took a bite. Watered Sriracha hit my palate. Then it squirted mel-fry. Old mel-fry.

Discussing the nature and flavor of the first appetizer, I asked husband if he wanted a rum and coke to take the edge off. He told me the coke wasn't worthy of rum. It was sub-generic, watered down cola with no fizz. Hmmmm.

We flagged down our waitress to see where Husband's appetizer was. Tugging at her skirt, she reminded us that they serve family style. She explained that we had to share. She set two plates on the table and walked away. Ah, the missing plates. A moment later Husband's entrée of Green Thai curry arrived. He spooned the grey contents onto his plate. I watched. I don't like green curry. I don't want to share. Still no second appetizer. I was trying to remember which hand she used for the plates.

Husband grimaced. "There is nothing Thai about this curry." His fork hit the table in disgust. "Actually, it's pretty bad."

Still nothing for me. By now I'm really annoyed. We went to have a pleasurable night out together. Instead, we're eating alone, inundated by the screaming of the crowd. A pan flew across the kitchen and landed in the sink with a crash. Servers wandered from table to table trying to figure out who ordered what.

So much for romance.

Ahhhh, finally. Lemongrass stuffed Cornish game hen. I look at the entrée then at my husband. "I can't eat this," I declare with frustration and disgust. The chicken is burned. Charred and smoldering. Black like coal. I lift up the wing and poke at the breast. Dry as a bone. The second appetizer is still M.I.A.

By now, I'm angry. Tried to find our server. Any server. The problem here is that it's nearly impossible to tell who is staff and who are the patrons. Men wear jeans and t-shirts or slacks and polo shirts or dress shirts. The women are in black evening wear of one form or another. I can only assume that uniforms are an unbearable expense for the owner.

Finally our server notices a problem. I tell her the chicken is burned. She cuts me off, grabs her backside for the umpteenth time and announces she will get a manager. She bolts, leaving the chicken behind. The second appetizer arrived.

An unkempt manager struts up to our table wearing faded jeans and a polo shirt. He informs us that family style doesn't mean bowls of food with serving spoons. Their idea of family style is the chef makes the food when he feels like in whatever order is convenient for him. Meals for the same table do not come out at the same time. Guests at the same table don't eat together unless they share. I told him that not everyone wants, or cares for, what the other person is having. "Doesn't matter," he declares. "Share or eat alone. Chef's prerogative."

Errrr...wow.

The manager also informed me that the chicken was not burned, it was caramelized. And if I tried it, I would find that it was absolutely succulent. I know very well the difference between burnt and caramelization. This was char. I lifted up the wing and showed him. Dry. Soot dusted my fingers. No apology, no offer of something else.

The manager barked, "Go!" He pointed at the door. "Get out of here."

I looked at him like he had two heads.

"We don't want you in here," he shouts. "Leave. Now!"

Thrown out of a restaurant. Now that's a first.

Panasia seems to function at the sole pleasure of the chef, much like Seinfeld's soup Nazi. Unlike the Soup Nazi, Panasia has nothing to overcome the surly attitude. Panasia advertises a dining experience. In a warped way, I suppose they delivered. Terrible food, bad attitude, awful ambiance and a butt grabbing, confused wait staff. I suppose that could be called a "dining experience." It's just not the type of experience we care to repeat.

I can't help but wonder how Panasia will survive a Gaffer District winter with no tourists.

Addendum:
We ended up at Three Birds for a truly wonderful dinner. Three Birds has great food, excellent staff and a romantic atmosphere. Thank you Three Birds for saving our night out.

8 Thank PrivyChamber