“No Reservations, No Problems”

Fairfield Inn Corning Riverside
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Corning
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We were visiting colleges and hadn't made any reservations due to uncertain travel times. Staff friendly and helpful. They inquired whether I had any discount programs before I had even showed my AAA card, and the quoted prices were right in line with what was listed on the internet (as a walk-in, I could have easily been suckered). Received offers of directions to shopping, etc. without having to ask. Room very clean, all new, beds comfortable, no significant highway noise. Easy on/off highway, easy access to fast food, outlet shopping, WalMart-style shopping.

Room Tip: Arrive early for quietest rooms. Staff said they intentionally book the rooms on the side away from...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 July 2012

The hotel was recently renovated and it is still looking pretty new on the inside, but the outside still looks like an older Fairfield Inn.

Pros:
-The bed was super comfy.
-Flat screen TV
-Updated desk/chair/fridge shelving unit
-Indoor pool, small gym with weights, treadmills, and a weird stand up pedaling machine
-WIFI was fast enough to stream a movie
-AC worked this time and worked really well.

Cons:
-Small room size
-Gym didn't have a real elipitical machine
-Small pool was crammed full of people
-Price was $159 for a FFinn. That is really high to me.
-Immediate walking area was not great for exploring.

The hotel was good for what it was, so if you expect it to be a resort you will be disappointed. If you want a good nites rest, then I would say to give the hotel a try.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank honeymoonin
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This hotel was definitely a pleasant surprise. I was in the area with my family to spend the night before visiting the Corning Museum of Glass the next morning. We had pretty low expectations for the hotel, but chose it for the package rate offered that includes museum tickets. From my experience, Fairfield Inns can take on one of two identities. They can be new/newly renovated, with surprisingly nice décor, everything fresh. Or they can be old and very worn out. I was expecting this hotel to fall more into the old and worn out category, but luckily it is currently undergoing a major interior renovation. It was nice and fresh!

When we drove up to the hotel, I was definitely nervous. From the outside, the hotel appears to be a smaller, older three-story Fairfield Inn. It is right off of the highway, in a typical cluster with chain restaurants. It’s the kind of area I would see from the road and think “I’ll stop there if I have to”, not “I’ll stop there because I want to”. The hotel is behind a Bob Evans, a Wendy’s, and a Chinese buffet, with a Friendly’s also across the parking lot. If you’re looking for food quickly, at least those options are definitely convenient.

The lobby isn’t anything to write home about. There really isn’t one. There is simply a cramped breakfast area to left, and a front desk to the right when walking in. Luckily, though, I could overlook the lack of a lobby when I realized that this hotel had undergone renovation and was going to be a ‘nice’ Fairfield Inn. The lobby looked renovated and fresh, as did everywhere else in the building.

A very nice staff member checked me in. He was talkative and helpful, and provided all of the information about the museum and nearby town that I could need. Others in my family thought he was a little too friendly, to the point of being nosy, as he asked several other questions regarding where we’re from, why we’re in the area, where we were the night before, etc. I simply found it friendly, and was happy to see a staff member who is actually interested in talking to guests. He remained friendly and welcoming each time we entered the hotel.

The staff apologized for the renovations currently underway in the hotel, but I really didn’t see anything that was being worked on at the time. Despite this warning and several ‘pardon our dust’ signs that were posted, the renovations seem to basically be finished at this point. The lobby area is totally renovated, as were the hallways and room on our floor (3rd floor).

Our room was great, especially for a Fairfield Inn. It was totally renovated, from top to bottom. It wasn’t one of the halfhearted renovations that I sometimes see hotels doing. The room smelled new, so I’d say we were definitely some of the first guests to experience the renovation. Everything was decorated in a bold color scheme of orange, green, and blue, with orange being the dominant color. The bathroom was totally redone as well, with granite counters and all new fixtures. Everything smelled new and was perfectly clean. We were very happy with the room. I’ve honestly had many worse rooms than this at full-service Marriott hotels. For being at the bottom of the Marriott food chain, the renovated Fairfield Inn rooms really are impressive. The only thing that really reminds you that you’re still at a Fairfield Inn is the lack of thick towels and ultra thin bedding. We had a view of the highway from our room, but it didn’t seem to have too much traffic, and any that there was, we couldn’t hear.

The hotel doesn’t really feature much in terms of amenities, since there’s not even a real lobby, but we did check out the indoor pool. It’s not a huge pool, but it appeared to be pretty decent as indoor pools go. The chlorine smell wasn’t overpowering. There’s also a small exercise room, which was open during our stay, but was the only room in the hotel where it was visible that renovations are still underway. Outside, off of the indoor pool, there is one picnic table that guests can use, and out there we stumbled upon the hotel’s vegetable garden. That was a nice surprise, and I’m not quite sure why they have one. However, it made me notice that the grounds here are pretty nicely maintained.

Breakfast in the morning is in the small area by the front desk. I saw others write that the breakfast is large with lots of options, but it really is not. I found the breakfast to be a bit disappointing. Even though the hotel is small, there aren’t really enough tables, and they’re all crammed together. The breakfast bar itself is quite tiny, with pretty limited options. It’s pretty much only the typical cold items, with the exception of Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, which appear to be a Fairfield Inn signature offering. It’s not something that impresses me, but it’s the only hot item available.

One recommendation I have is to check out the downtown area in Corning. The Fairfield Inn is in an area right off of the highway that I found somewhat depressing, but a five-minute drive can get you to the lovely small town of Corning. It’s a great town with a nice main street, and plenty of independent family-owned restaurants and shops. We spent a great night getting dinner in Corning and walking around. I would definitely choose to drive into town for dinner, rather than eat at the typical chains right by the hotel in the parking lot. You’re also a 5-minute drive from the Corning Museum of Glass, an attraction that is not to be missed.

Overall, I think this hotel is really nice for a Fairfield Inn. The hotel is really fresh and new inside, since renovations are just being completed. I’m not sure if all of the rooms are done at this point, so I’d still inquire to make sure you get a renovated room upon check-in. The renovated rooms are totally fresh and really nice for this level of hotel. The facility itself is small, and in no way grand, but if you want to be in Corning and need a pretty nice room, this is definitely a place to choose. I was really pleasantly surprised to find a nicely renovated hotel, and I would choose it again in the future. I probably would have felt very differently about this hotel without renovations, since the rate wasn’t exactly cheap when we stayed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mrg0137
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I stayed in a newly renovated room. Very nice, similar to all new Fairfield Inns. Very comfortable and convenient. Staff was very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Renovations were being done on 2nd floor and our rooms on 3rd floor seemed new. Service was great as Malakai at the desk helped accomodate our hockey team and kept the other guests happy. Very easy access to the interstate. Eating area was always kept clean and breakfast was good for a free breakfast !

Room Tip: End rooms are larger, but overall I think there is no real advantage otherwise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank wade17
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I recently stayed here with my family for a visit to the CMOG and we had a great time. Our room had just been redone and everything was new. The staff was friendly and helpful and my kids loved the indoor pool.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SHTravel_10
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We arrived at this hotel in the evening and left early in the morning for CMOG. Everything was more than fine: room was clean, beds were comfy, lots of pillows, staff was helpfull and cheerful, breakfast nothing fabulous, but it was certainly good and filled the need! There is a small workout room and pool. Closeby there is a Bob Evans restaurant, Rite Aid and a couple other restaurants and the Corning Museum of Glass is about a 5-7 minute drive. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank feddy53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corning
Staybridge Suites Corning
Hampton Inn Corning/Painted Post
11 mi away
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Big Flats (Elmira), NY
Holiday Inn Express Painted Post - Corning Area

Been to Fairfield Inn Corning Riverside? Share your experiences!