“Delicious Pizza!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leo's Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria

Leo's Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
Reserve with OpenTable
Leo's Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 31 Restaurants in Cornwall
Price range: US$2 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: From the day the first Leo's opened in 1981 in Cornwall, we have been a family-owned and operated restaurant. Customers can still find owner Leo Maniscalchi, our dad, flipping pizzas in the kitchen. His real passion is making sure the quality of food and service is unmatched, everyone feels at home. And Leo gets plenty of help from the rest of the family. One of his sons, Gasper, Frank and Danny, are always on premises, ensuring your dining experience is pleasurable - whether you are in and out for a slice of pizza or cozying up to a full-course dinner. Leo's has three upscale locations, in Cornwall, Newburgh and Wappingers, offering a full menu of pizza, calzones, hero sandwiches, and complete dinners. There is a full selection of Leo's famous pizzas, including regular, Sicilian, and personal size, with all the toppings, are also available. Our family is proud to provide yours with expertly chef-prepared dishes and premium wines. Leo's diverse menu features pasta, chicken, veal and seafood, highlighting a variety of delicious Italian specialties - all made with the freshest ingredients. Leo's tops off the great meals with a grand selection of the finest wines from around the world. Our 'Old World' style restaurant offers daily specials in a friendly, comfortable family dining experience. We can accommodate large parties for any occasion and offer a full catering menu. Of course, Leo's delicious meals are available for you to take home and enjoy. We also deliver. Our family appreciates all of your support over the years and we look forward to serving you for many more to come.
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Delicious Pizza!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The pizza here is DELICIOUS! My only complaint with Leo's is if you're not ordering full entrees, you're not allowed to sit in the air conditioned dining room. Pizza customers have to sit in the hot main room. The day we were there it was excruciatingly hot. We ordered a couple of pizzas and were dripping with sweat while eating them. I can't comment on their entrees since we didn't have any on this visit, but their pizza's great.

• Visited June 2013

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

There's nothing like REAL NY pizza, and Leo's know's how to do it! The pizza was excellent! You have to try the Taco Pizza! Yum!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank GabbyGirl007
Cornwall, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“mediocre”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

sauce is mediocre, restaurant can't decide if it is for service or takeout. eggplant hard, needs to be updated.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Leah B
Cornwall, New York
“FOOD SAFETY WARNING - LEO’S ITALIAN RESTAURANT- Cornwall, NY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

FOOD SAFETY WARNING - LEO’S ITALIAN RESTAURANT- Cornwall, NY

Gluten intolerant patrons, eat at your own risk!

(Please share this story with those you know to be gluten intolerant.)

Last Friday, I ordered 2 large pizzas, one with fresh mushrooms, and a gluten free pizza with fresh mushrooms and onions from Leo’s Italian Restaurant in Cornwall, NY. The woman taking my order said that they did not normally use fresh mushrooms on their pizza, but it could be done.

My daughter, who is gluten intolerant, had a piece of the pizza from the small box that had the fresh mushrooms and onions on it. Before having a second piece, she noticed that the supposed gluten free pizza’s crust looked like the regular pizza crust. I immediately called Leo’s and was told that if the crust filled the small box, it was not gluten free. The gluten free pizza is tinier and does not fill the box. From that description, it was discovered that, no, the pizza my daughter ate was not gluten free. The woman who took the order said that she heard me order a small pizza. I never said the word, “small”, at anytime when placing my order. She then blamed the fact that it was a Friday night and that it was very busy and loud.

The next morning, my daughter was extremely ill, vomiting and experiencing severe stomach pains due to eating the pizza with the gluten. I called the restaurant that day telling them how sick my daughter had become and suggested that they shouldn’t advertise or provide gluten free food if they couldn’t assure the safety of their provided food. I was speaking with the woman that had taken my order the night before, who happens to be a manager there. She replied, “ That wouldn’t be fair to our customers.” I alarmingly asked her if it was fair to serve your customers food that is toxic to their bodies. At that point, I asked that she have the owner of the restaurant call me.

Shortly thereafter, I received a call from “Frank”, who said that he was one of the people I had spoken with the night before. I thought he was the owner, but later in the conversation he denied being the owner, refused to give his last name or the name of the owner.

Frank said that they “viewed tapes from the night before” . They saw that another order came in and was prepared with the same ingredients that we had ordered as toppings and that the delivery person grabbed the wrong box. First of all, we picked up and did not have the pizzas delivered. Secondly, this contradicted the manager’s excuse that she said she heard me order a small pizza instead of gluten free. Thirdly, I think the odds of someone ordering a small, fresh mushroom and onion pizza at the same time I was ordering a gluten free pizza with fresh mushrooms and onions is extremely slim. Especially since I had been told the night before that they do not normally put “fresh” mushrooms on their pizzas.

It is now Wednesday, four days since I asked to have the owner call me. We have not yet received a call from him. I am shocked and disappointed at the lack of concern, the excuses and the misleading information from this establishment. After being a patron of this restaurant for over 25 years, I sadly must say that I am no longer comfortable eating there. This makes me question what other food safety issues, like cross contamination, that they may be lax with.

• Visited October 2012
8 Thank JudyCooper
New Windsor, New York
“Great Italian!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

Pizza to pasta to sandwiches, good food at a reasonable price. Pizza place in strip mall but nice dining room.

1 Thank yoberto