Cromwell Manor Historic Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Cadet Motel(Cornwall)
Windsor Motel(New Windsor)
View Hotel
The Thayer Hotel(West Point)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
West Point Motel(Highland Falls)
View Hotel
All reviewshudson valleyb bthe main housecromwell manorpoached pearrelaxing weekendstorm king art centerlong weekendfarm storefireplacedrivewayrelaxationrobes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I was very disappointed with the Cromwell Manor. We paid 311 $ for a noisy room (the other guests coming in at midnight were not that loud but the light wooden door did nothing to prevent the noise, and the squeaks from the bed of the couple above were not very pleasant at 7am, not to mention the road which is right next to our window and has quite a lot of cars passing by).

The place is nice overall, the garden is big and nice, rooms were clean, but overall it is significantly overpriced for a relatively normal place to stay.

Breakfast was quite good, but not enough which would deserve the price (cooked pears, followed by bread cooked in a pan with bananas and some fruits).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I don't even know where to begin. If this were a roadside motel for $40 a night it might have fulfilled my expectations.

First, the accommodations. I paid $165 for my room. It was thoughtlessly decorated with anything that was "old" and "pink". I understand that this room is the cheapest in the building, but there was no television, the wifi had a password we were not given, and my ikea foam mattress at home is more comfortable (and infinitely less squeaky). The towels in the bathroom were mismatched and threadbare and a previous guest's soap was still in the 70's shower. Speaking of the shower, it was a mere misty sprinkle with a constantly fluctuating temperature. My room was the ghetto of the inn. I felt like I was being told that, because it was the cheapest room, I didn't deserve a nice room. No TV for me! I was with a wedding party that completely filled the large house the first night and the house and cottage the second. Surely they can afford new towels, new carpets, and a television for a $165 room?

Next, the breakfast. The first day we were informed that we would have our "breakfast appetizer" first, which turned out to be a strawberry shortcake cupcake. It was okay, but it was very confusing. We were then given a plate of eggs, bacon, and potatoes with a dry half piece of toast. The potatoes were amazing. Everything else? I just kept wondering how much of nightly rate was allocated to the breakfast. Our second morning our "appetizer" was a poached pear with the same whipped cream that was on the shortcake, followed by french toast. It was hardly a balanced breakfast... sugar on sugar.

Finally, and the real inspiration for this review, the service. I have never met people less naturally inclined to hospitality. The owner seemed cool, at best. The wedding party arrived on Friday evening and began hanging out on the front porch. No one was drunk, but some people had some beers and a few were smoking (which, given the presence of an ashtray, seemed acceptable). We were finally made uncomfortable by the awareness of the innkeeper and her cook (and the cook's daughter) standing and staring at us through the glass front door. Not saying hello or seeing if we needed anything, simply watching us. The bride finally got uncomfortable enough to go speak with her, to see if there was something she needed. There wasn't.

After that first night we were asked if there were going to be "many more bottles" (again, no drunkenness, simply pizzas and beers on the back patio shared by 15 or so guests) because they didn't have room in the recycling bin. Which, honestly, doesn't sound like it should be the guest's problem. The night with the pizza was also a bit stressful because we didn't know what to do with all of our pizza boxes. We weren't directed with what to do with trash or recycling, so we simply left them stacked and hope the innkeeper knew that we would have been happy to put them somewhere more appropriate.

They didn't want us to use the back door that opened onto the patio, which would be fine if they informed everyone at the same time or even hung up a sign (or, maybe fixed whatever was wrong with the door), but, instead it resulted in everyone opening the backdoor and being told not to use it one at a time. By the time it was my turn there was little warmth left in the woman's voice and she actually touched my hand and closed the door to stop me.

On Saturday, in the midst of anxiously trying to get ready for the wedding many of us were repeatedly asked how many people were going to be at breakfast the next day. Again, not our responsibility. We booked the place, they have the reservations. Why would they be bothering an anxious bridal party about the next day's breakfast? Again, we were observed by the whole staff (innkeeper, cleaning ladies, garden) as we all prepared for the wedding. They stood in the parking lot watching us run in and out of the inn trying to pack up and go, but saying nothing. There was no "good luck!" or "congratulations" or "you look beautiful!"... they stood far enough away so that they didn't have to say anything to us. Awkward.

Twice, that I know of, the women were overheard talking about our group. Completely unacceptable. Always.

Were we bad guests? I don't know. We tried not to be. We smoked where we were told, we tried to clean up after ourselves, we were nothing but friendly to our hosts. Were we a large and excited group? Sure, but if a large group is too overwhelming maybe have less rooms available. I do know that if someone paid me $165-$380 a night for a room, and filled my entire inn for the weekend, I might not begrudge them a few bottles of beer. We thought at first that perhaps it was because we didn't look like a traditional bed and breakfast crowd (many tattooed and queer among us), but that would go to the root of the real problem: hospitality. I've worked in the hospitality business. Unless someone is truly taking advantage of you or your facilities or treating you in a disrespectful manner you remain generous, helpful, genial, and receptive (and even better you mean it!). You don't act like you are overwhelmed or show that you are tired. They were clearly uncomfortable- whether with us or with their job. Either way, it is unacceptable. Possibly, and most importantly, in this instance, you don't hover or gossip about the people who are your guests.

On a positive note, there was a lovely cleaning lady who did interact very warmly with a number of us and managed not to glare at one of the best men who decided to wear a bridesmaid's dress to breakfast this morning and even laughed along with the rest of us at his ridiculous antics. She was sincere and cheerful and appeared to be enjoying us and her job. True hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Carrie N
Reviewed 24 May 2012

On my recent two, one-night stays I had a wonderful time relaxing in the grounds of the inn and the surrounding (gorgeous) countryside. Watching the sunset from the meadow behind the inn - with the sounds of birds and the green lushness of nature all around me - felt deeply restorative. The farm store and yard next door was lovely to visit, with home-made delicacies, bee-hive, rabbits, ducks, goats, chickens, horses and pig. My room was comfortable and everything worked. What made the difference and left me with a lasting (excellent) impression of a place well-run was the helpfulness and warmth of the innkeeper. She went over and above to make sure I had everything I could possibly want to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. Made me want to recommend her place to all, and really has me wish her the greatest success.
She is working to upgrade the place and in time, it will have more polish and refinement than it does now.
I am a happy customer, for sure.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Beautiful house full of charm. Very relaxing overall. And location is great. Lots to do within 15-20 mins drive. Breakfast is awesome as other reviewers have indicated. Definitely looking forward to coming back here again. Stayed in the Canterbury room and loved it.

Room Tip: Canterbury has high ceilings and large windows that look onto the front porch. The private bath is down a short hallway which is private as well - liked that a lot.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SMFNYC1
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My Fiance and I stayed over a long weekend and we had a super relaxed and romantic weekend. Living in New York City, we wanted to get away, but not have to drive too far or take a plane. Cromwell Manor is PERFECT! The Hudson Valley is beautiful anytime of the year! Eileen, the innkeeper, was wonderful and always made sure we had what we needed, but we had perfect privacy as well. Pamela made the most amazing 5 star breakfast each morning and she could not have been more sweet. They even asked what time we wanted to have breakfast! The rooms are cozy and charming and the fire place was the best!! We felt pampered and well taken care of! We can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple