“Tasty, simple, out-of-the-way, Mexican food...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tortilleria Nixtamal

Tortilleria Nixtamal
Reserve with OpenTable
Tortilleria Nixtamal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 105 Restaurants in Corona
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Tasty, simple, out-of-the-way, Mexican food...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Whilst this sweet little place serves delicious, good value, uncomplicated tacos and tamales I would not instantly suggest the average New York tourist make the effort to get here. It's not quite that worth it.

However, if you're not the average New York tourist and/or you happen to be visiting Queens, and particularly Flushing Meadows Corona Park, and choose to eat at Tortilleria Nixtamal then you will be rewarded with a very good, authentic meal.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank LDN_2009

New York City, New York
“Really enjoyed this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Lovely little place, great decor and very nice friendly staff. The food was great, very freshly made tacos, not salty or fatty. I had my usual, a camaron, carnita and chorizo. Each was very well made with a nice quotient of onions, cilantro and pineapple on the camaron and chorizo. Had a really nice mexican coffee sweet and cinnamon. I would definitely recommend this place.

I wish they were a little more street authentic, for example some radish, salt, guacamole, sliced jalapenos either on the taco or available in side dishes. Such as from the cart in Jackson Heights outside the train station. But all in all this is a healthier feeling cleaner tasting better quality than the mystery street tacos that we also all love.

Highly recommend it and I hope they get all the props that they deserve.

Go there!

• Visited January 2014
Long Island, NY
“Chilaquiles (Mexican Hangover Breakfast) Comes to This Side of the Boarder!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Every Winter my family makes the journey to San Jose del Cabo, Mexico where we have our favorite Hole in the Wall restaurant with the Best Chilaquiles that we've ever had.
That is untill last weekend when my son and I went to "Tortilleria Nixtamal" for the first time and found the Second Best!
I orderd the Red and my son ordered the Green Sauce both were great the Red a Bit Hotter then the Green.
The Freshly Made Fried Chips were super a bit thicker than what we are use to but they really soak up the sauce.
Can't wait to go back and try some of their other offerings that we are familiar with so that were can compare them.
The place is small and it can be a Wait for a table best to go in the off hours.
Or you can go to their Takeout Window and that looks to be much faster.

• Visited October 2013
NYC
“Worth the Trek!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Perfect for a stop off on the way to a Mets game from the city but really you shouldn't need any excuse to get the best authentic Mexican fare in the five boroughs! My girlfriend and I shared:

- One Verde Tamale
- One Mole Tamale
- One Chorizo Taco
- One Pastor Taco
- One Order of Guacamole
- Two Bottles of Mango Jugos

The tamales were fantastic and were gone within minutes. Guacamole was good, nothing special (which is why this place isn't called 'Guacamole Nixtamal'). Tacos were fantastic but we were starting to get stuffed by this point.

Whether you're locals (like us) or tourists (probably you), make sure you include this in your eating plans.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Very authentic !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a Mexican authentic place,and we saw it on the tv channel ,they made there own tortillas and the masa!!, really good!! You have to make sure to let the waitress know if you like me are only into mild spicy, cuz your tongue will be on fire !!! We had tacos and guacamole !! Only thing the place is not too big and the parking will take you few minutes in the area, believe me is worth it !!

• Visited July 2013