“Terrific”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Cortland
New York City, New York
“Terrific”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I have never written a review about a hotel, good or bad; but I had to write this one. I brought my daughter to the SUNY Cortland open house and, as we came of hte highway, noticed that there was a Holiday Inn Express. Apparently, this is a new property and what a find. A very friendly, outgoing clerk made us feel right at home. The place was great, clean, friendly, and a wonderful breakfast. My daughter loved the pancake machine and the cinnamon buns were to die for.And elegant, very tasteful decor. If my daughter choses to go to Cortland, we will be staying there for the next few years. I will tell all of my friends on Long Island and I mujst say, I highly recommend this place,just wish that I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Oscar W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
toronto
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We were heading to long island and planning to stop in Binghamton, however there were no rooms available. Noticed this hotel and was glad we stopped here. Such a great location, right off the highway. The morning breakfast was a great way to start our drive. Brand new, clean comfortable room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dorismct
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Great hotel. I was traveling from Canada to New Jersey on business and decided to stop for the night. I normally stay in Binghamton but noticed that the Holiday Inn Express in Cortland was now open. It was a great stay. Wonderful Staff, comfortable rooms, close to the highway but very quite. I will never stay in Binghamton again, this hotel changed it for me! Try it out, you wont be dissappointed. Having traveled all over most of the eastern US I have seen some really nice hotels and some not so nice hotels. This hotel is one that you dont see too often. From front desk to housekeeping the staff is truely incredible. They are down to earth and go above and beyond for their guest.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Jason C
Cold Spring, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I chose this hotel because it was new and I have stayed in Holiday Inn Express hotels before and have always had a good stay. The hotel was new and was in very good shape. I had prebooked the room prior to visiting one of the local colleges with my son. After a long day visiting one college and trying to recouperate to visit another the next day I decided to go to bed early (9pm). The room they gave me (#215) was right next to the elevator and all I could hear was the elevator tone when it reached the floor and doors slamming all night long. It was advertised that I would have a refridgerator in the room and there was none. The person above me took a shower and I could hear the water running down the drain through my wall. I did not get the rest that I needed. The next morning I went to the desk to file inform them of the problems. When they found out I booked through a 3rd party they said that they could not do anything about it (booked through my credit card). They told me that they would give me a discount on my room the next time that I stayed there (really after a night of no sleep did they really think I would stay there again?). After they told me that they had a full house they asked me if I had told anyone (no it was 10pm and where would have they moved me if I did complain - the place was full). There were no noise reducers on the doors (including mine) which could have stopped all of the slamming. I give truthful reviews and do not use this site as a complaint session (please see by my other reviews). I really would not recommend this hotel if you were looking for a restful night. The hotel is new and clean and the breakfast was good but does that really matter if you do not get the rest you need.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel would be better being it is located next to an interstate but that is not goin...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CalalilyD
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We really enjoyed our night at this brand spanking new hotel. I especially appreciated the choice of firm or soft pillows, having slept fitfully for the previous several nights, trying to make my noggin comfortable on the mush-balls at another hotel. The two-person whirlpool tub was FABULOUS after seven hours in a car spent channelling my inner pretzel. Liked the modern decor and room layout, and the bathroom was well-lit and attractive. Very nice windows that actually opened to let in a breeze, should you so desire.

Very clean, nice lobby, no complaints. Didn't get a chance to check out the pool, but I was happy with that HONKING BIG BATHTUB. Very conveniently located near the interstate, but with good soundproofing. A no-smoking hotel, big YAY.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank caberwife
harrisburg, PA
Reviewed 13 August 2011

This was the first time we have been disappointed in a Holiday Inn Express. This hotel has only been open for two weeks and it shows. The pool wasn't open yet because it hadn't been inspected yet. Did they bother to tell us when we called to make the reservation a few days before arriving? No. Normally HIE has cookies in the lobby in the evening...my kids look forward to that, but the clerk said they hadn't gotten to that point yet. The clerk didn't seem too happy to be working there. Not one smile. Didn't seem to care if we were there or not. We've been to some really pretty HIE's ,but the decor at this hotel is plain. Maybe they just haven't gotten all the pictures up yet, but the doors and elevator floor look more like stained plywood than anything else. The plusses- great breakfast as usual - we loved their automated pancake maker - and everything was sparkling clean. Give it another month or two to get up and running.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Ottawa
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My husband, daughter and I stayed in room 203 at the Holiday Inn Express in Cortland in early August 2011. We paid $130/night - not exactly cheap but very affordable - for a basic room with 2 double beds. This place was like an oasis on I-81 for us, after starting our hotel search in Scranton, PA (where a NASCAR race meant all rooms in the city were sold out) and continuing through Binghamton, NY (where a hot air balloon festival meant the same thing).

The hotel is brand new (not sure if that means a new building or a reno) - the front desk clerk said that it had been open (re-opened?) for about 2 weeks. Everything is immaculately clean and fresh. The rooms are tastefully decorated and up-to-date. The beds are comfortable (with both soft and firm pillows on each, as embroidered on the pillow cases). The hotel is immediately opposite the I-81 off-ramp but we didn't hear a whisper from the highway in our room. The hotel staff was friendly and efficient.

The rate includes a breakfast buffet with a number of "hot" selections (e.g. bacon, pancakes, no eggs) which helped facilitate a quick exit for us in the morning, as we continued our trek north.

My only small criticism is that the hotel room doors slam rather loudly if you don't shut them carefully. We heard several slams in the morning (and slammed our own door a few times ourselves).

I can't say whether this is a great place to stay for people looking for several nights of accommodation but for us - who just needed a clean, comfortable place to lay our heads for a few hours - it was a Godsend. As my husband said, "That was the best 6 1/2 hours of sleep I've ever had!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family