“EXPENSIVE FOR THE AREA... NO HOT WATER.”

Hampton Inn Cortland
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cortland
Hackettstown, New Jersey
“EXPENSIVE FOR THE AREA... NO HOT WATER.”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I have stayed here several times and each time it has been the same excuse for the hot water. It is warm, but no hot water. Imagine paying for the jaccuzzi room and not be able to fill it up because the water is luke warm? Too expensive for no water. No matter how many times someone raises the concern, they have chosen not not to address the issue. I have also been stuck in a non-smoking room on the first floor that stinks of cigarette smoke.
Now that Holiday Inn Express is open I think we will try it.

Room Tip: don't stay on the first floor to the left of the reservation desk... they were smoking rooms bef...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bbcritic62

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
West Berlin, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We had to stay at this Hampton Inn since all the other Hilton brands were sold out near the Watkins Glen area for NASCAR weekend. This hotel is average to above average. The average part is that the carpets are looking a bit old, the elevator runs slow, there is lots of dust on the edges of the carpet, etc. However, the above average part is the friendliness of the staff at the front desk and at breakfast. They always greet you with a happy face no matter how many times you pass by them and are always willing to offer any kind of help. This does go a long way and I wouldn't mind staying here again.

1 Thank zepned44
Albany, Georgia
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We booked Hampton Inns last week all the way from Georgia to Ithaca NY to drop our son off to college because we knew we could always count on the quality of Hampton Inn. The demand on hotels on first day to school was so huge that we couldn't book a Hampton less than 30 miles away from Ithaca. We were lucky to find a room at Cortland, but only for one night, not for 2 nights we needed. When we arrived 2:30 pm on August18, the room was not ready. This was the first time when I checked into a hotel after 2pm that the room was not available; in hindsight I understand why now. So we waited. While we were waiting, the front desk staff offered us bottle water, very nice of them. We waited for about 30 minutes or so before checking into the room.

In the waiting and move-in process, I inadvertently left two small carrying bags in the lobby without knowing it, thinking they were still in the car. Later that evening, I was looking all over for them, in the room and in the car, never suspecting I left them in the lobby. These two bags are very important to me as they contained personal information, working documents, and my iPad. On one of the search trips, I was greeted by a beautiful young lady Nicole Scheriff, the front desk agent in the night shift, who had never met me before the encounter, asking if I needed help. Then she asked me if I left behind an iPad. Needless to way, I was surprised and thankful that Nicole found me and returned my bags.

The SURPRISE was that Nicole was able to identify me even thought we never met before. The room was registered under my wife's name, and it was most likely the reason the staff in the day shift staff could not locate nor inform me about the lost and found. Nicole found my iPad, looked me up on Facebook, probably saw my picture there, and sent me a Facebook message about the lost items. Before I was able to read my message, Nicole spot me near the elevator and returned my items.

I am THANKFUL because iPad is an hot electronic item. I could have my carrying bags back without the iPad or have my confidential information compromised. Nicole was so technology savvy that she was able to find my Facebook on the iPad via the Flipbook, went online and facebooked me about the lost and found.

I found Hampton Inn form GA to NY very clean, beds very comfortable, breakfast nice and nutritious, staff professional and courteous as expected, but...at Cortland, the staff is also technology savvy...totally unexpected and exceptional.

Nicole, thank you for hunting me down and returned my iPad and carrying bags. Thank you for being honest and doing the extra mile. I appreciate it very much.

2 Thank Ben C
Scarsdale, NY
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The Hampton Inn in Cortland, NY is a good place to stay, especially if you're traveling with your family in connection with move-in day or graduation at SUNY Cortland or Cornell University.
It's about 20-something minutes outside of Ithaca. The Hampton in Cortland is consistently clean and well-furnished. The people at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is tasty and well-stocked. This includes scrambled eggs, bacon, make-it-yourself waffles and a variety of cereals, bagels, pastry and juices.
Another nice touch is that the front desk will give you free ice cream items and bottled water. There's a pool and exercise room too. The location is quiet and mellow and it's not really close to anything significant, but that's fine since people generally have a reason to go to Cortland and don't just go there for sight seeing. The WIFI, by the way is good and you can also connect with a LAN cable.
While the hotel is known to jack up its rates for "event weekends," it's not nearly as bad as some other local hotels that really go out of their way to gouge you big time to stay if it's a dorm move-in weekend, parents weekend or graduation day. Some even have minimum stays of two or three nights during those weekends. Yes, the Hampton will jack up the rate a bit on these weekends, but it's still a better deal than the other ripoff specialists throughout Ithaca and Cortland. Overall, this is a nice experience with good people and quality accommodations.

1 Thank TomOH
Westbury, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Hotel is new and clean. Fast, efficient check-in and very pleasant staff. Accomodated my need for handicapped bathroom which made a world of difference. Room was lovely-- clean as could be, comfy mattresses and pillows and even had a welcome note and goody bag. The breakfast included in the price of the room was far better than expected -- hot and cold selections including make-your-own waffles, eggs, sausage, baked goods, yogurt, fresh fruit and more. The hotel has a pool -- small but inviting and clean. The desk was quick to OK our request for late check-out as well. My family and I were all equally impressed....... even our teenager! Will definitely be back when in the area again.

1 Thank ljmagain
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We were traveling as a family to visit relatives in Upstate NY and this hotel was a good value. The hotel is new and the rooms are clean. We were with our two teens sons so when staying in s single room require a room that is not tight and found the size of the room to be sufficient. The free breakfast was OK. The front desk staff was friendly and there is a nice free drink station in the lobby for guests. Parking is easy and plentiful with close proximity to downtown and the college.

NJ
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We recently visited Cornell and all the hotels in Ithaca were very pricey. Cortland is about 1/2 hr away and the drive to Ithaca is beautiful. So if you do not mind spending a bit on gas this hotel is for you. It is conviniently located off the highway and is a decent option. The room was very clean and the morning breakfast was fine. The only issue we saw was that the carpet needs cleaning in the common area.

1 Thank Jayhir