“One Bad Experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cortland
Scarsdale, New York
“One Bad Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I travel to this hotel 6 weeks every year for the past 3 years. The employees have always been very nice and helpful. However, this past week my feelings on this hotel have changed. Upon arrival, the door to my room would not close without slamming the door multiple times. I asked the front desk to fix this and they did the next day. The door on the refrigerator was broken, which was never fixed. The DVD player has always been a great bonus but the one in my room made a humming noise every time a DVD would play. To add to this, the remote control did not work. When I requested a new remote control it was left in my room in a timely manner only to find my personal DVD missing from the player. After three days the DVD was finally returned to me. The first two staff people I dealt with never left messages for the employees working after them so each time I had to re-explain the situation. I would have expected the employees to follow up with me instead of the opposite. I was told that the housekeeping staff sometimes take DVDs and leave them on their carts. If this is a regular event I find it unacceptable. The sink in the bathroom had a crack in it as well as some tiles. All of this I was able to deal with but what made me change my view on this hotel was when I went in the shower and on the shower curtain rod there was a dirty washcloth hanging. This led me to believe that the room had not been cleaned properly. Also, daily I use the gym which is only 3 machines but since there is no other choice I use it. For the past two weeks there have been no wipes to wipe the machine down after use. I find this unsanitary. After this past stay I am less likely to recommend this hotel to anyone I know. I am not sure how over a few months the standards could have lowered so much.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Patrick O, General Manager at Hampton Inn Cortland, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
To Alexandra,
Thank you for your loyalty with our property. I also appreciate your detailed review with the areas we did not unfortunately meet your expectations. I can assure you the wipes for the equipment will be there for you in the future as you would expect. I'd also really like to reach out to you personally to rectify any obstacles you encountered promptly.

I look forward to earning back a loyal guest. Thank you for your time and feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I selected the Hampton Inn because it was close to SUNY Cortland. I was taking my son to visit the school and was extremely satisfied with the hotel. The room was clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Having 2 queen size beds made it so much more comfortable. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was great. There was so much to choose from. I would recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for selecting the Hampton Inn. It sounds like you found value and convenience because it was close to SUNY Cortland. It is so encouraging to hear that while you and your son were here to visit the school you were extremely satisfied with the hotel. We strive daily for clean rooms and helpful staff that's always naturally friendly. The Hampton Inn separates itself from others by having 2 queen size beds which are more comfortable than full sized beds. The complimentary breakfast in the morning is designed specifically so there is so much to choose from. I'm delighted you would recommend this hotel. See you next time.
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

I spent a few nights at this Hampton on a recent trip home. Most people who review this establishment talk about how wonderful the staff is and I have to agree. Drew, a front desk clerk, helped us with reservations and a room swap on three of the four nights we stayed and was pleasant every time. Housekeeping was also very personable. The rooms were everything I expect from a Hampton, and I appreciated the DVD players and free DVD library that the hotel provided. Not only did this hotel feature a nice spread at breakfast, but they provided cheese and crackers, as well as cookies, on week nights - a nice touch. The indoor pool was beautiful and the fitness room nicely stocked with top quality Precor equipment. Very happy with this hotel and will return every time I head home for a visit.

To TheBooey,

It seems you found a new home away from home when you come back to Cortland. It also sounds that you found several perks that we know you can count on to continue to enjoy the next time we see you in Cortland ! Thank you again for your wonderful description of your experience here.
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Before booking, I read all the reviews of all the other hotels offered in Cortland. Tripadvisor members were right again. I walked thru 2 other hotels after checking in and knew I made the right choice. Clean. Friendly staff.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Patrick O, General Manager at Hampton Inn Cortland, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
To RGA from Ohio:

I'm beyond glad we were able to show you how we earn all the reviews you read before booking with us at the Hampton Inn.

It's very revealing and original that you walked thru 2 other hotels after checking in here just to justify your decision!! We encourage this as it shows the true value of our product.

Our entire staff loves reading that because of them and all of our other hotel offerings, you knew you made the right choice. We look forward to giving you another great experience soon !
Palm Beach Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is a great place to stay when you are in the area. and the following will hopefully addresss the 200 charcters that your wonderful suryey requires that one complete,but a would only thake the first lineif I was gyou

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Plainview
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have stayed at this hotel 4 times while deciding if Cortland was the right college. Every time has been great. The staff is always so helpful and pleasant. This will be our hotel of choice for the next 4 years.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patrick O, General Manager at Hampton Inn Cortland, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
I'm rewarded with your feedback that you stayed at our hotel several times while deciding on Cortland as the right college. Hearing every time was great with our staff is super! I'm really excited we'll be your hotel of choice for the next 4 years. We are looking forward to taking care of you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here. The staff definitely go out of their way to make your stay the best that it can be. Loved the cheese, crackers, and vegetable trays in the evening, and the the kids got one of the free DVD rentals entertaining them for the night! The breakfast staff did an excellent of keeping up the Buffett, and keeping the dining area spotless. We did notice the strong chemical smell that other reviewers had mentioned each time we entered our room, but that's the only fault I could find with this hotel. Would stay at this location again for sure.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Patrick O, General Manager at Hampton Inn Cortland, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Deepcreekmounty,

Thank you for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated! I'm very glad to hear how helpful the staff was for you and that you enjoyed both our complimentary snacks and our breakfast buffet. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cortland
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland
BEST WESTERN PLUS Finger Lakes Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Cortland
Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center
Comfort Inn Cortland
Comfort Inn Cortland
#5 of 10 in Cortland
Ramada Cortland Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Hampton Inn Cortland? Share your experiences!