“Feels Like Home”

Dining options: Reservations
Central NY
“Feels Like Home”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Melodyland has a long history, and it shows in the 1940s vibe from the structure itself, to Sinatra crooning in the background, to the homey food served by ladies that seem more like moms or sisters than waitresses. I live for the eggplant rollettes and my son loves the meatballs. While some may think the salads are bland, we love the simplicity! There is always enough food to take home for another meal. One Friday or Saturday I got back to Cortland at 8:45 and decided I'd beg for a salad to go; the waitresses sat me down and fussed over me like I was one of the family, insisting on feeding me a full meal. I don't know of any other place, anywhere, with that wonderful level of service!

• Visited October 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great meal at Melodyland!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Very good hometown restaurant. Great food and very friendly service! I would definitely return for lunch or dinner and I hear they have excellent pizza!

• Visited February 2014
Cortland, New York
“Don't Even Waste your Energy!”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Okay! where do I begin, the food was overcooked my bf had Lasagna and I had the "homemade" spaghetti and meatballs. the beer and wine were fine.The service was nothing to write home about. We had drinks and they were good. As part of the entree mt bf got a salad....it was TERRIBLE. Just save your money and go somewhere else.

The restaurant is full of people that have been going there for Years....I get it but someone has to tell the Nona that unless she wants her joint closed she needs to step it up a notch! HIRE A FREAKING PROFESSIONAL COOK!

• Visited January 2014
Eddington, Maine
“Even better than our last visit”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Tried Melodyland take out this trip...it was almost as good as we remember from our last visit......missed the wonderful table service, but the food was wonderful. Home cooking at its best, great Italian food, great prices, one of our favorite places in central NY. will return again and again.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Maine04428
Cortland, New York
“Delicious home-cooked Italian classics”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Melodyland is a treasure. It is an old-fashioned neighborhood family-owned Italian restaurant. Please disregard the review below that calls this wonderful little gem a “dive”. This is a 1930s-era neighborhood restaurant in the first floor of a house. It is clean-as-a-whistle, features home-cooked Southern Italian favorites and is beloved by both the backbone of Cortland’s Italian community and others that truly appreciate a traditional meal made in a tiny kitchen by a devoted group of Italian ladies. Their sauce is delicious; homemade spaghetti sublime—not too heavy or too light; and their meatballs are heavenly. They even make a simple salad of iceberg lettuce, tomato wedges, and a bit too much Italian dressing appealing as it is chilled perfectly, the lettuce is crunchy and fresh, and the dressing is yummy. Melodyland has earned its reputation as a local institution for the past eighty years.

Also, the reviewer below who said there are “very few places to get decent food in Cortland, and fewer than aren’t dives” must not know much about Cortland. Having savored fabulous cuisine all over the world, we feel very fortunate to have a variety of quality restaurants here in Cortland. Some were established 50-80 years ago and have opted to retain their vintage charm; THAT does NOT constitute a “dive”. It constitutes decades of quality and success presented with historic personality. In Cortland, the problem isn’t finding decent food, it’s deciding between delicious options!

• Visited June 2013