“Red eyes and Wheezing and thoroughly disgusted”

Comfort Inn Cortland
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Cortland
Montgomery Village, Maryland
“Red eyes and Wheezing and thoroughly disgusted”
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We traveled to Ithaca on graduation day and rooms were hard to get but we settled on Comfort Inn in Courtland NY since we have had good experiences with this franchise in the past. Upon arrival we were a little wary since the upkeep of the grounds and the outer facade of the building appeared below standard for what we have seen at most Comfort Inns. When we came to the front desk the Manager on duty was very rude and appeared not to want to be bothered. We were given a smoking room, which on face value did not bother us much since, although we are not smokers we have stayed on smoking floors in rooms that patrons had the option to smoke in past and it was usually not an issue. The room was on the second floor so we drove around to the back to find the stairs. We were a little alarmed to see that two or more windows in the back were broken and taped over. Not a good sign. When we opened the door to the stairway the stench for wet cigarette ash wafted over us. Still we had experienced not so great hallways on smoking floors. However, when we went into the room the stench was hard to deal with. Clearly this hotel does not clean the carpet, curtains and upholstery in their rooms. We were in a hurry so we turned on the air conditioning full blast and hoped the room would clear. We return later that night and the room still wreaked. We spent the night and I woke up with wheezing and with red eyes. I asked the front desk to change rooms and they said that they would give us an equivalent non-smoking room. When we returned at the end of the day expecting an equivalent room (1 and 1/2 room with 1 King Bed) they told us they only had a smaller room with 1 double bed that was for handicap access (MEANING THERE IS NO BATHROOM DOOR). We said this was unacceptable. We requested a refund and would accept forfeiting one day room charge, but they said we would have to pay the full charge for TWO DAYS. This is a terrible hotel STAY AWAY

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevinG8822

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York
Reviewed 7 March 2011

The Comfort Inn was a very nice Motel , I was suprised by how clean and well kept the place looked,after reading old reviews. It looks as if they are in the process of redecorating . I was lucky and got a new room. The staff was pleasant , I checked in early and had no problem . The free breakfast was also great. I will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Lancaster, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2010

The only good thing about this place was its convenient location-right off I-81 and near restaurants and services. It needs total remodeling- it looks like it was build in the 70's and never changed. Breakfast area was unappealing, couch in lounge area had stuffing falling out, wallpaper was peeling in the halls, just to name a few things. The room itself was ok, but everything else was in poor condition.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cortland hotels

Long Island
Reviewed 19 October 2008

One night stay for a college visit. Hotel exterior was in sorry shape. Our room was surprisingly clean however. The staff was polite. The attached restaurant had decent food but no adult beverages.

The hotel allows dogs and that can be problematic. We had dogs that the owners let roam free outside our window at night and they barked costantly. Once they were back in their room it was not any better. The echo of dogs barking in the halls kept us up at night.

Unless you have a pet and need a place that accepts them I would avoid this hotel.

Stayed October 2008
NY
Reviewed 18 August 2008

My husband, mother, and 1yr old stayed at the Comfort Inn after reading such good reviews here. I wasn't expecting deluxe accommodations, but I do expect a hotel/motel at any price point to be clean. We had two rooms and both were filthy. The carpets in both were very damp and within 2 hrs of crawling/walking around my baby's hands, feet, and knees were covered in black gunk. Given the dampness of the carpet I can only assume it was mold/mildew. The shower in my mothers room was also covered in mold/mildew. The curtains hanging on the windows were practically threadbare as you could see the light shining through the worn out patches. Had we not already set up all our baby's stuff (porta crib etc) we would have packed up and stayed somewhere else. Upon checkout I told the lady at the desk that I thought they'd want to know that the carpets are damp, musty, and dirty. She said, yes, we have a problem with moisture but that they couldn't be dirty because they are vacuumed regularly. She wasn't the least bit concerned or apologetic about the terrible state of our rooms. I would never stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — filthy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank upstatetraveler22
Rice Lake, WI
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Great location, helpful staff, great breakfast and good room.

Stayed here with a large group. The location was quiet and convenient. The staff were efficient and helpful. The continental breakfast was very satisfactory. Lots of options, hot waffles, many kinds of muffins, fruit, sausage, eggs, juices, cereal..etc very very good. The rooms were satisfactory. The rooms were as expected, beds comfortable, bathrooms good. Stay here! very nice place.

• Liked — The great continental breakfast and location
  • Disliked — NO ELEVATORS...??
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
FL
Reviewed 11 April 2008

I recently sent two of my co-workers to this hotel for a business trip. After they were on their way I noticed that some pertinent information was missing from the packet I gave them. I contacted the hotel who allowed me to fax the information and offered to make copies for them.
During this "wonderful" trip, their materials that i sent via a well known carrier, were not delivered when on time. My co-workers then contacted me. I contacted the hotel who agreed- actually volunteered- to contact my co-worker once the materials had arrived. This allowed my co-workers to attend the meeting they needed to and have the materials as soon as they arrived!
This hotel ws awesome! I believe the ladies name that I spoke to so much was Ruth; I must thank Ruth for saving the day!

• Disliked — Nothing comes to mind!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)