“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Cortland
Greenville, Pennsylvania
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This Comfort Inn is conveniently located about 1/2 block from I-81. I could see the sign but this Comfort Inn is snuggled in behind a Perkins Restaurant. I had driven all night arriving early in the morning. They had a room that had not sold the evening before and granted me early checkin. The front desk clerk, Julie, was friendly and professional, checking me in and putting me into a very nice 'king suite' and at a very competitive rate. The breakfast bar was still available and I had something lite to eat and went to bed. Everyone I encountered at the hotel was very kind and helpful. The hotel was clean, had an exercise room but no pool. Incidentally, something I had not seen before, the hotel had an enclosed walkway from the lobby right into the 24/7 Perkins Restaurant - so convenient.

Room Tip: Account I-81 runs parallel to the hotel, choose a room on the front side of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sharpsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed here on August 30, 2012 while on a business trip. I classify this as a typical Comfort Inn. No frills, but adequate.

Pros: Hotel stay was friendly and helpful. Room and bathroom were clean. It appears to have been recently upgraded. Bed was not comfortable, but was not uncomfortable either. Highspeed wireless internet is free. Hit the breakfast early, before 6:30 a.m., and it was well stocked. There is also a Perkins Restaurant attached to the hotel which is convenient.

Cons: Although there are only two floors, there is no elevator - not sure how that meets ADA requirements, but this could be an issue for senior citizens and their luggage. The smoke from the smoking rooms filters down the corridor to the non-smoking room. My particular room, # 200, had a decent sized gap between the door and the door jamb which allowed the smoke to enter the room. And the door had at one time been forced open, so the swing latch wasn't attached very well.

All in all, it was a typical Comfort Inn, so I have no complaints.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I recently attended a Corltand college reunion and my sorority sisters were all staying at the Country Inn and Suites and somehow I made a mistake and booked the Comfort Inn. On the positive side - the staff is very friendly and polite. When I checked in, I told the front desk that I wanted an explanation for the 13% "hospitality tax" that is added to the bill and a manager soon came to my room and offered an explanation. Apparently, there is 8% state tax and then a 5% county tax on top of that.
Many reviewers have alluded to the smell of smoke in the halls and in the rooms, and they are absolutely correct. My room on the first floor had a distinct odor of smoke, and it was quite unpleasant. The room itself was clean, but as another reviewer noted, there is trouble with the plumbing and the toilet bowl kept running and running after it was flushed.

I stayed for two nights and the bill came to $278, and that seems like an exorbitant sum in this case because renovations are sorely needed here. Breakfast is included in the price, but it closes at 9AM, which is very early. I do not understand why breakfast cannot run at least until 10AM which seems so much more reasonable.

I would recommend that the Comfort Inn lower their rates until the hotel has been fully updated. For ten dollars more a night, you can stay at Country Inn and Suites which is very nice. The location of the Comfort Inn is fine - right off 81 and near a McDonalds and a Wendy's and not far from Main St. or Suny Cortland, but they have to do something about the odor - it is a bit nauseating.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room on the first floor as there are no elevators and don't stay out late i...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed over the week end for a family wedding, we had several rooms. Everyone complained about toilets flushing poorly and showers not draining, was standing in 4 inches of water while showering. And wall paper peeling and mold present in shower. Breakfast served only until 9:00 am on weekends. Several guests complained and were treated rudely by staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Drew C, General Manager at Comfort Inn Cortland, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Comfort Inn Cortland. I am very sorry that your accommodations did not meet the standards that you expected. I would like to apologize for the plumbing issues that you experienced during the course of your stay and for how the situation way handled by the staff.

We are looking at possibly extending breakfast till 10am on the weekends. All the guest room bathrooms are scheduled to be remodeled in the coming months.

I appreciate the feedback that you have provided and please let me know if I can further assist you.

Best Regards,

Drew Clare
Comfort Inn Cortland
607-753-7721
Kinnelon NJ
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed here last weekend while visiting SUNY Cortland. Good baic room, nothing too fancy. Clean, decent beds and basic breakfast offerd with the room. Best thing was the managment was really nice and helpfull. Allowed us to have a 3pm late check out so our dog had a place to stay while we toured the college. Again very clean, not just for pet friendly, in general. Also got a real good rate by calling hotel directly.

• Stayed March 2012
Drew C, General Manager at Comfort Inn Cortland, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for providing your feedabck from your recent stay at the Comfort Inn Cortland! We really appreciate the kind words and we are glad you had an enjoyable and pleasant experience! Thanks Again, Drew Clare-607-753-7721.
sparta, nj
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The hotel has a main entrance near the desk and a rear entrance that faces the highway. Unfortunately the rear entrance is not locked and anyone (hotel key or not) can walk in. The rear parking area was not well lit. I felt uncomfortable staying there with my teenage daughter but we had already made reservations and it was late at night. Breakfast was okay. Rooms were older. I usually count on comfort inn for an inexpensive place to stay but was not happy with safety issues here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Drew C, General Manager at Comfort Inn Cortland, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
I would like to thank you for posting your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are currently going through renovations and will be addressing the doors,security and lighting in the near future. We will be installing atleast one or 2 key swipes for guest security and possibly adding panic bars to all the doors for enhanced security. Thanks, Drew Clare 607-753-7721.
Cortland, New York
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The hotel was good but breakfast was not the best. I stayed only for one night, the room and the bed was comfortable but the furniture was a little old. The hotel does not have an elevator so be ready to walk up with your bags if you like rooms on higher floor (They only have 2 floors I believe). The rooms are good as they were furnished with microwave and refrigerator. The Front desk staff was kind and helpful but the breakfast didn't seem that fresh. The apples did not seem good, it is good according to the price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Drew C, General Manager at Comfort Inn Cortland, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Roshni,

I would like to thank you for staying at the Comfort Inn Cortland. I really appreciate your feedback that you have provided from your stay! It is very helpful and it allows us to know what areas need to be improved.
Thanks, Drew Clare 607-753-7721.