“Easy To Love”

Sam's Point Preserve
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The 360 degree view is breath taking! Makes you feel literally "on top of the world." The air is clear-and, even in ugly weather, what a spot. You feel like YOU are causing the lightning perched here in a Catskill Classic Thunderboomer!

My Favorite town in the valley below- Ellenville, NY. Been going here over 50 years, and am thrilled to see life coming back! Come enjoy the best of the Catskills, just ninety miles north of Times Square!

1  Thank AnarchoProvoker

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We took this hike up to the Ice Caverns two weeks ago. What beautiful scenery. Ice Caves were created from the Ellensville Fault Line and is the largest open fault line in the USA. Saw Peregrene Falcons, the remains of the huts used by the Huckleberry pickers lives in during the summer picking season back in the 1900's. Wonderful lake at the top of the mountains with very clear water. Then a short hike down into the ice crevaces. Hike was a moderate hike, but slippery around the ice caves. Scenic view from the top of the mountain streches to NJ and PA. The conservation center house some wonderful artifacts and history about the area. Cost is $10 a vehicle to park. Restrooms are clean and large. Bring your own snacks/water because there are some lovely areas to have lunch break. We will be doing this hike again soon.

2  Thank zalovestrips
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My friend and I took my two beagles on a hike to the ice cave in July 2013. It is a well run hiking trail with a visitor center run by The Nature's Conservancy. Cold bottled water is for sale for $ 1 and there is also a vending machine with snacks. The map they gave you give several option for a hiking destionation. The Ice Cave round trip hike is approximately 1.5 hour while the Lake trail is 2 hours. There is also a hiking route to a water fall. It is an easy hike for 99% of the time. The challange came in the last 5 minutes to the Ice Cave as the trail become spiralling and steep, narrow and sliperry. However, when you get to the Ice Cave, it is wonderful cool; litterally! On the way up about 10 minutes from the visitor center a wonderful sweeping views of the valley is amazing! I will be back to check out the water falls and the lake in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We have been here before but the views always amaze me. The trail is wide and easy for kids and the peak is very rewarding with great views to take in and wild blueberries to munch on.

The nature center has a well stocked vending machine which was great since my 2 year old daughter and I were separated from our group (with the water and snacks).

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I hiked here for the first time in May. At this time, the ice caves were closed and we decided to take the waterfall path and then the longest hike (loop road). I soon realized this was a bad idea-it is definitely a hike and requires a lot of rock climbing. The waterfall is beautiful and I wanted to go to the bottom (which is private property) The second time we went here was to go to the ice caves. I loved the ice caves and decided at that point that buying a season pass would be well worth the $40. This past weekend, I took my sisters (11 and 12), my niece (15) and my best friend to the ice caves and then waterfall. Everyone was tired by the end but loved the ice caves. Bring lots of water especially if you bring your dog. The views are amazing and beautiful pictures can be captured at several locations.

2  Thank hmhmec