“Excellent for family reunion”
Review of Croton Point Park

Croton Point Park
Reviewed 30 August 2014

A friend of mine recommended this place over two years ago and it was today 08/30/14 that I decided to have a family picnic there.
It is a beautiful place. Everything is so green, so quiet, clean and beautiful.

Parking lot was $5.00 for private cars. Call the office for bus permits.

I didn't see any place to purchase food, bring your own.

I read a review that you have to get there early in order for you to find a grill with tables. This person was correct. We got there late, around 10:30am and there was no much available. If you are planning to go there, please make sure that you get there very early in the morning around 8am if you want to cook there. Otherwise bring your own grill and find a picnic table without grill.

This is a fabulous place and the local goverment should invest a little more in picnic tables and grills. There's a lot of empty space where they could build more tables and put more grills.

There's a lake there very nice. We couldn't go because we got there late and the area where we stood was a little far away to walk. Again, get there early if you want to find a perfect spot.

The also have a couple of decent playgrounds that my kids loved and enjoyed.

I defenitely recommend this place and if you are planning an outing with your church for example, I recommend that you all bring cooked food or rent (get a permit) a space to cook the meals for everyone since you will not find tables for each church family.

Noemi

"camping opportunities"
"round trip"
"out of state"

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have our annual Baptisms at this park. The park is clean and quiet. Limited tables and grills, so if the park is crowded, you may not get a chance to grill your food. Best bet is to go early when the park opens at 9am. Entrance fee is $10, $5 if you're coming with a group reservation. The bathrooms are far from the lake/bathing area. The water is not clear at all and very cold. There is no concession stand, but an ice cream truck does stop by throughout the day. They do offer some boating activities. I did notice that they do allow public drinking (beer)...also play music, but not too loud. Of course the weekends it's most crowded...

3  Thank Nayda M
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed here in late June 2014 for 4 nights. Our purpose for choosing this campground was convenience to NYC, but far enough out of the city we wouldn't have to drive the camper through. This was perfect for that purpose. We made reservations in January and were a little concerned as we didn't have to pay a deposit and they seemed sort of relaxed about saving our site. We had no problems at check-in though. The ladies there were really friendly and even gave us a discount because we didn't need sewer. There didn't seem to be any supervision of the campground though, so if you run into problems that could be bad. On the other hand, no one was fussing at us about parking on the grass or where to set up.

As soon as we arrived my brother-in-law pointed out that this was once a land fill. We heard rumors from other campers that when they were doing a lot of building in NYC they scooped out clay for bricks from here and then had this huge hole. They carted the trash from the city up river and dumped it here. There is a large grassy mound that I am sure is filled with trash. Had my b-i-l not noticed, I would have never known. There is no smell and there are no birds fighting for trash. We saw several deer grazing near the campground. There is a sign that warns of coyote activity, but we didn't have any problems.

We camped. They have full hook ups. They have a nice bathroom that was pretty clean. The showers are large. We would have liked to have more hooks for your towels. In the ladies room the only hook was outside of the curtained shower, so you had to streak over to get your towel. This made my kids a little uncomfortable. Also, in the ladies room none of the toilet stall doors will lock. They have locks, you just can't get them to fit. My daughter wasn't happy about that either. I think we were in sites 11 and 18 or 19. They were smaller, but fine for our pop up campers. There was a semi permanent trailer behind us. It seems the carnies use this campground and there might have been 10 sites that looked semi permanent. These are surrounded by million dollar RV's. The carnies didn't bother us. They seemed to keep to themselves. Our kids were hoping for one of the huge stuffed animals they had though. ha ha. This must be a big park for kayakers. We saw lots and lots of cars with kayaks pulling in for the weekend. There is a tent camping area past the RV area. Most of them seemed to be tent camping.

We took the kids to the beach one day at the park. It is a large area with a rocky sort of sand on the Hudson River. There was some small trash here and there (pieces of plastic, butts), but other than that it seemed nice. The kids swam in the swimming area. You can't swim there unless a lifeguard is present. The lifeguard wasn't there on the first couple of days, but was there on a Thursday - I want to say from like 10 to 6pm? The water in the swimming area is max 3' deep. Sort of dirty looking. Our kids swam and I got in too. It was a good place to relax for a couple hours. The parking for the swim beach is a long walk. I would recommend you drop off your stuff and then park. There is a restroom there, but I didn't go in it, so I can't comment.

If you are camping they didn't charge a fee for swimming or coming and going in the park. They did give us a pass card for the campground gate. They said the gate is down at night. I never saw the gate down. They do have cameras that record the vehicles coming in and out of the campground.

The campground is too far to walk to the Metro North train station. This is good in that we weren't really bothered by the train noise, but bad in that you have to pay to leave your car at the train station. It was $9 per day. We rode the train into NYC 2 days. The train fare was $26 round trip and took 50 minutes to 70 minutes depending on what time of day you went. We liked the express train. It was much faster - like 47 minutes or something.

We did hear fireworks at night at the campground. We thought it was fireworks. They didn't bother us, but we just wondered where they were. There were no fire rings at the campground. I am not sure if they have banned fires, but it was too warm for us to have a fire anyway.

Overall, this is a great place to camp. The train ride was a little long for days into the city, but I would do it again to save money. Camping is much cheaper than paying for a hotel in the city.

8  Thank MurfeeW
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Nice river walk evocative of some of the New England ones. Rocks and some wild flowers added to the charm. Very nice sunset across the water.

1  Thank jack M