“Well located and comfortable B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Croton on Hudson
Alexander Hamilton House
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Turret Room of the Alexander Hamilton House for a one night "vacation" in the Hudson River Valley and enjoyed both the Inn and the location. It was close to Sleepy Hollow where we toured Rockefeller's Kykuit mansion as well as the Stone Church with stained glass windows by Matisse and Chagall. It was also within walking distance of the village of Croton-on-the-Hudson so that we could enjoy supper at Justin Thyme without having to take the car out. Tom, the host of the Inn, cooked us a lovely breakfast that we enjoyed with 2 other couples which made for very pleasant and informative conversation. Then Tom directed us to nearby parks where we could take a long walk and enjoy the sights along the east bank of the Hudson River. Our room was comfortable but we couldn't get the TV to work and so went downstairs to the common room to watch the Vice-Presidential debates which we didn't want to miss! We would have paid just about the same price for staying in a chain motel but wouldn't have enjoyed the same homey atmosphere or personal service.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LongIslandMabel

Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Lock on back door is pain in the neck. Driveway is dark and hard to navigate at night. Amenities are lacking for the price charged. Location is good and house itself is charming. The best B&Bs exude a homey atmosphere and this one falls short.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank LuckySpivey
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Tom, the inn keeper, was very friendly and provided a nice book with lots of information about local attractions. Some of the information in the book was a littel dated, but it was still helpful.

We stayed here three nights. Our room was fine and pretty much what I expected. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioner worked fine. TV was a fairly new flat screen with very basic cable options.

The bath was not so good. We stayed in the Turret Room. I booked this room knowing that the bathroom was "three steps across the hall". Well it turns out those are three long steps. It's actually about 12 feet across a hall/landing. That was a bit of a disappointment, but the bathroom itself was a bigger one. It had a tile vanity top with grout, caulking, and paint problems. Nothing horrible, but not very nice either. No tub. The shower was one of those small corner units. Pretty much impossible to adjust the water before you get n the shower without soaking the floor. The shower also had some unattractive caulking problems. Overall, the bathroom was not of the quality I expected.

I thought the breakfasts were good. There were three sittings (8:00 9:00 & 10:00 on Friday and Saturday, 7:00, 8:00 & 9:00 on Monday). The servings were large. There were always muffins, dry cereal and fruit. No choice on main dish though - Tom served French toast one day, an egg strata one day, and pancakes and sausage one day. I enjoyed all of them, though the sausage served with the pancakes was rather sad.

The public areas were very nice.

We took advantage of a special weekend rate - stay Friday and Saturday, get Sunday for half price. If you find a special that applies to your stay, you need to make sure you mention it. I did not find a place on the website to request the special rate, and it did not show up in my initial confirmation. I sent an e-mail and Tom replied that he would apply the rate when we got there. He did remember to do this.

Tom lives next door, so he is not actually at the Alexander Hamilton House except to check-in guests and prepare breakfast. If you need to talk to him at other times there is a number you can call.

I find the 10% gratuity bothersome because it is not made very apparent when you view the web site. (Not hidden, just not made apparent.)

Overall, we had a good stay. I would stay here again, though I might look around a little more first. I would not stay in the Turret room again.

Room Tip: Bath for Turret room is twelve feet away and not in the best shape.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scottsmi
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have been staying at the AHH off and on for over seven years and I love the place.
I've stayed in just about every room and have enjoyed each of them.
The staff are like family and have always been more than accomdating to anything I needed.

For about the same price I could stay at a chain hotel in Hawthorne but, why would I ever want to?

I recommend AHH to anyone traveling to that part of New York.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Our three night stay was a wonderful experience for us. We enjoyed all the amenities of a b& b and the accessibility to the commuter train to Manhattan.
Tom was a great host. The Brie strata was outstanding. We loved the music box in the sunroom as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here in the Library Suite and we were completed awed. The dark original wood from 1889, a working fireplace (we'll come back to use it in the Fall!), and new Laura Ashley bedlinens made us feel special and romantic. The included breakfast was very good and we left with the recipe. You really get a good taste of what an old-fashioned Hudson River estate must have been like to live in from the 19th century.

Room Tip: The Library Suite is very comfortable, and on the first floor. Quiet, and secure.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House for one night with family (daughters and partner) and that was long enough. Tom, the owner was cordial and friendly.
The chief complaint I have is the extra fees, (per person) the gratuity charge and the overall value. Looking over the fine print on the website (Under “Room Rates,” under “Policies,” you may find with much effort, a statement about the gratuity charge. How many of us look at the fine print?..... .(Warning: please do so here.)
Don’t most hotels include the total cost on their websites (taxes, fees, etc.) these days? Like many of the credit card companies, the trick is in scrolling down and reading all of the fine print!
Just be aware. I spent $563 for one night that included a $47 charge for gratuities, $25 extra for each person over 2 in the room and high taxes (10.4%).
The other complaints: The breakfast was just flat out not good. Some kind of soupy French toast mix and 3 out of the maybe 4 small, boxed cereal options were sugared. I have stayed in many B&B before and this was the worst breakfast by far.
My room was just “OK.” It didn’t look anything like the picture and it had a makeshift shower with no tub. My daughter’s room was really dark and it had a foul odor of sewage coming from the shower area. When notified, the owner was “Well thanks so much for letting me know.” Not, “Hey let me drop the 10% gratuity charge for any inconvenience or discomfort you experienced for staying in a room that smelled. “
Bottom line - this place is on the down and out and majorly out in my book.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley
Castle Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel & Spa
#6 of 7 in Tarrytown

Been to Alexander Hamilton House? Share your experiences!