“Just fine but don't expect a lumberjack breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexander Hamilton House

Alexander Hamilton House
Central Florida
“Just fine but don't expect a lumberjack breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2007

Let me start by admitting that I have almost no experience with B&B's, so this is the novice perspective.

I found AHH to be a curious little place, with many interesting design elements and amenities not found in traditional hotels. I though it was fun.

I stayed for 2 nights.

The breakfasts are on the light side but not bad at all and it was nice to meet other guests there and chat with Cyd before breakfast.

I never had any problems with the noise there but the walls/doors didn't look soundproofed at all (typical for B&Bs, as I my friends later told me). In the same vein - if you used to stay in large hotels, you probably need to keep an open mind. I can see how some people can be irritated by the same irregularities I found amusing (in-room safe not bolted down, furniture with cracks on it, etc.). If you want a sterile standardized environment AHH may be not be the right place for you.

Complains - None really. Well, there is no sign outside and parking can be tricky.

The verdict - I would probably come back if I'm in the area. The price may be a tad high but it's a relaxing stay, very warm feeling comparing to chain hotels.

• Liked — informal feel
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
alexhous, owner at Alexander Hamilton House, responded to this review, 5 December 2007
Two came to mind while reading this review:

1. This person seems confused about the fact that things are not like they would be in a hotel. This should not surprise the reviewer. For decades, travelers seeking an experience with a personable host, good cooking, and furniture with character, i.e. antiques, have chosen bed and breakfasts over hotels. Clearly they were not as comfortable with escaping the anonymity of a hotel, and they weren't expecting what a B&B was going to be.

2. The idea of the Lumberjack breakfast is confusing to me as a host. What fills one person is not the same as another in the morning. If this person had asked for more, we would have given them more. B&Bs are often subject to providing better service than a hotel, at a fraction of the price, but still, no one can read your mind. If you need something, speak up!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2007

We stayed here a week for our honeymoon in the month of October. We stayed in the Master Suite and found the room to be nice, but the jacuzzi tub kept leaking and the water would not stay in unless you placed a cup over the drain. The innkeeper at the time was not helpful at all in recommending anything as far as nearby restaurants or places to horseback ride. The breakfast consisted of dishes that contained a lot of fruit, so if you prefer a hearty breakfast, this is not the place. For the price, I would not recommend this B&B.

• Liked — Room was nice
  • Disliked — Unhelpful
  • Stayed October 2003, travelled as a couple
2 Thank midnight1020
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2007

I loved the Inn. I spent a week there and because the owner is a chef she kindly allowed me to watch as she created her delicious specialties. Her private valentines day dinner was the best. She arranged private tandem massages in the room. Her hand dipped strawberries are to die for. The innk-per Rich was also very helpful and gracious .I would like to return,.
Cat

• Liked — clean comfortable gracious
  • Disliked — parking car
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank catcro
Glenside, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House. We enjoyed the innkeepers, Cyd and Autumn, and also enjoyed the breakfasts - both days the food was yummy and just enough to fill us up. My husband does not eat eggs, so one morning he had to suffice with fruit and a biscuit or cereal since the main dish was a great coddled egg. Our room was simple and pretty much what we expected from the website photos. We loved having the wireless internet, and the honor bar in the hall was good for quenching our thirst in the middle of the night. The room and bathroom were clean. The decor was a little too "Victorian-y" for my tastes, but my husband thought it was great. We enjoyed the other guests in the morning, but saw nary a hair of them at other times - just as we would have liked it. The only downside is we would have liked to use the pool, but it did not appear to have been cleaned for a while - probably because we visited after Labor Day. I would recommend this B&B if you are staying in the area, but it is a little expensive for what we felt we got - so we would likely look somewhere else before booking here again. If you are in the area, we recommend checking out the Van Cortlandt Manor property. It was quite close to the inn, and was great for a morning's entertainment/education.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you drive since the inn is not close to anything convenient walking distance.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SydneyRom
Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2006

My wife Marina and I just returned from our upstate getaway and we just had to stop by and review this quaint B&B.
We had a great time at the Alexander Hamilton house, the house itself is beautiful and very amospheric. This B&B however wins top notch rating with us because of the friendliness of the owners. If you are reading this Cyd, thankyou from the bottom of our hearts for your warm and cheerful hospitality. We would also like to mention that the breakfast is worldclass and personalized to your own dietary preferences. The option to choose between 8am, 9am and 10am breakfasts is really great as you can sleep in or get an early start.
The internet connectivity both wired and wireless in the rooms is also invaluable. In short, if you are looking for a peaceful time away from a stressful job look no further! A word of caution however, Croton on Hudson is a tranquil historical nook, if you want something other than peace and quiet make sure to bring a car.
There are a wide variety of attractions in the area, luckily the tome of knowledge handed to you when you check in to the Alexander Hamilton house assures that you do not have to worry about missing any of them.

In short, this B&B is top notch!

• Liked — excellent hospitallity
  • Disliked — a lilttle bit on the expensive side
  • Tips/Secrets — The piano in the sitting room is out of tune but can still provide a great deal of fun!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank Icefyre
Yonkers, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2006

I stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House for two nights. I could not have been more pleased. The entire experience was wonderful. The inkeeper, Autumn is so friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, warm, and cozy, and the grounds are beautiful. I will definitely be returning in the near future!

• Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank Dgiorgio
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2006

When I realized that I had successfully procrastinated in obtaining accommodations for myself, my son and my sister for our nephew's graduation from the United States Military Academy at West Point, I hurriedly applied my surfing skills to finding a B&B within an hour's radius of the Point. Because it was also Memorial Day weekend, and because the West Pointers had booked rooms three and four years earlier, there was nary a room at the inn.

Until that is, my sister-in-law, the cadet's Mother, searched through the WP Parent's room exchange website, and found that an unfortunate parent had to cancel his reservation at the Alexander Hamilton House in Croton-on-Hudson, leaving him on the hook for a substantial guarantee.

I did my good deed for the day by taking that off his hands and at the same time solved my housing crisis, which would have led to family crisis, had our little group not been in attendance at graduation.

So with little foreknowledge and few expectations, except for the peculiar thought that I would be staying for several nights in a city with two hyphens in its name, I arrived as the advance scout at the Alexander Hamilton House on Thursday afternoon.

I was immediately greeted warmly by the manager, a particularly helpful and gracious young woman whose name, Autumn, belied her spring and summer brightness.

Throughout the stay we were made comfortable and in charge of our day. The first rule of bed and breakfastry in my estimation is that the innkeeper and the staff remain on the edge of earshot when needed, and out of sight when not. At this, the staff at the Alexander Hamilton House excelled. If we needed something, they were always there with the solution. Otherwise we were left to our own devices, which is as it should be.

Barb, the Innkeeper, (anybody who has been doing this for 25 years is entitled to a Capital letter), served up small gourmet plates every morning, along with fresh fruit, breads and biscuits, coffee, tea, juice and if one asked, the morning news.

On Saturday morning when those of us who were headed to the Point had to leave in the wee hours before breakfast was served, Barb arranged for each of us to have a small basket of appetite-assuaging goodies to take along.

I could go on, as you are probably painfully aware, but I will close with this comment. The house, its Victorian construction and its appointments impressed my son, an 22 year old skilled veteran of the night scene in a hot and edgy ATL. Truly a cross-generational and trans-epochal compliment.

Good work, all.

Beam me up, Queenie, I'll be back.

• Stayed May 2005
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh

Been to Alexander Hamilton House? Share your experiences!