“Overpriced”

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Briarcliff Manor, New York, United States
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

It was my first time at Ocean House. I went with friends who love the place. I found the tiny space extremely noisy even though it was only half full (early Thursday night). The food was good but nothing extraordinary, and the entrees were small for a $29 price tag. I chose the sauteed skate, maybe 4 or 5 oz of fish with 10 or 12 haricots verts (perfectly cooked) and some mashed potato. I'm not sure I will be back as I expect excellent fare and portions for that kind of money.

• Visited August 2014

Westchester County, New York
“Cute, cozy, byob”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great place, lovely staff, great food. It's tiny and they don't take reservations BUT if you stop by early you can get on the list for the day and come back at your time slot. Bring your wine with you and they'll pour if for you. Never fails to please.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank CMKNY
Mohegan Lake, New York
“Downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have eaten here several times a few years ago, but due to the reservation policy, have had a hard time getting in until tonight. My husband and I went for an early dinner to avoid the crowds. There were only two other tables seated besides us. Our waitress was very helpful and friendly. My husband had the grilled calamari for appetizer and swordfish steak special for entree. I had half a dozen raw oysters and the lobster roll. The only item that was worth paying for was the oysters. They were delicious, fresh, and briny. The calamari lacked seasoning and the lobster roll was so salty you could not taste the lobster meat. The fries that came with the lobster roll tasted like overly greasy, frozen french fries. The swordfish steak was overcooked to the point where my husband had to use a knife. For a place that had only ten customers in it, these mistakes are inexcusable. I wish I sent the food back, but we really liked the waitress.

Needless to say come here for the oysters and that's it. We will definitely not be returning.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank StubbornSicilian
New York City, New York
“Lacking good business etiquette”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I wish I could be positive in reviewing this restaurant, but they really rubbed me the wrong way. Today I went there for dinner with my friend, we brought a bottle of wine, cork fee at $6.00. At the end of the meal I opened the second bottle (twist cork) just to try a sip of my Friend's wine - they charged us another $6.00. And I mean just a sip that I myself pur into my glass to try!!! I disputed the charge, but the owner didn't accept it...And just to add to this, there were two other occasion when we drove 40 min to the restaurant only to find out that they were closed on the days they were supposed to be open (last time it was on July 1 when it was closed for a "minor alterations) The website didn't indicate it, and when I called, the answering machine didn't have the "today we are closed" message. So we kissed the door good-bye....I believe this was our last time in this restaurant, despite the fact that we like the food and we always try to support small businesses in Westchester. The owners need to learn to respect their customers, and they are not there yet..

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jolanta K
Croton on Hudson, New York
“Food good, space not so good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Everything is fresh and delicious but the space is so tight it's not at all comfortable. You have a hard time not getting involved with the conversation of the person sitting next to you. Go early and it's better.

• Visited April 2013